10 hours ago, TehStu said:

The new friends thing is such a carry on. I want to stick to local players and people I know, but here we are again, deleting and re-adding existing friends. 

Yep, terrible quest I think. I have 200 friends. I don’t interact with many of them via gifts, just raids. But I don’t care to be removing and reading or finding new ones. Such a complete chore.

10 hours ago, humdrum said:

I get what they are trying to do increase the social aspect of it but you would think it could be something like, add 3 new friends or have over 50 friends. 

Yeah, I totally understand the intent, but right now my kids have 3 each - myself, my wife, and each other. That's not going to change, and we just about manage these 3 new friends things as is. 

Adding the friends is at least easily achievable (you can just search on Twitter for people posting friend codes). I’ve been stuck on the “win a level 3 raid or higher” one from the last special

research for ages, as I haven’t actually seen a Level 3 and can’t manage to do the higher levels solo.

On 23/08/2019 at 22:19, Freeman said:

Caught my 4th shiny ray today, only doing the raid for candy too..

I wish other shiny legendary were so easy!

It’s just luck. Took one of the folks in my local group 78 raids (not even joking) to bag his first shiny Ray. 

The endgame is collecting everything. If you have an old phone knocking about, start up a second account and battle yourself in the PvP mode three times per day for a chance at a Sinnoh stone. Trade with that account as well for lucky Pokémon which level up for half the stardust.

Do you have a local raid group? Since I started reading with people, the game has become much more fun.

Sinnoh stones have a low rate, but everything else seems reasonable. The fact that I can get legendaries every 7 days makes up for the fact I couldn't get them in raids, back in the day. The current batch get swapped out soon, keen to see what's next. I think I missed Regirock, for example. 

On 23/08/2019 at 21:51, Starbreaker said:

I haven't got to the Whismur bit of this one yet because I, as with everyone else, can't be bothered with the friends thing. Obviously I saw of them in town earlier and when I actually need them there'll be water types taking up all the spawns.

I just came in to have a moan about how frustrating the game is when you get out of sync with how fast they think you should get the special research done. I was a day late getting to the Whismurs, and am expecting to next be stuck on something like “Catch three Totodiles” for six months when they return to their normal spawn rate in a few days.

Shinys killed my interest in the this. Clicking on every Pokémon in the hope that it is shiny is ridiculous, with zero influence over that outcome.

It's basically a free fruit machine with the cost being your time and the potential output a shiny.

I'll still play when new Pokémon come out or I'm out walking somewhere anyway but the game as a daily activity for me has stopped. I don't even bother to check the spawn on my house or do dailys any more.

Yeah, sometimes you have to decide what to let go. I very early decided I wasn't going to try and get every legendary raid and once there were a million of them I generally don't actively seek out shinies except during a Community Day.

On 28/08/2019 at 01:38, MrPogo said:

I was a day late getting to the Whismurs

Shit, I thought I was getting to it quickly bit did I already miss some Whismurs?

There was one, perhaps Celebi, where I needed to evolve a Magnemite late on. I had loads of candy, but no actual Magnemite to evolve. Took weeks and weeks waiting for one to spawn near me. I hope the Whismurs aren't similarly limited. I've told the kids to hang on to their Magnemites and wait until they get to that stage of the specials.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Shit, I thought I was getting to it quickly bit did I already miss some Whismurs?

There was one, perhaps Celebi, where I needed to evolve a Magnemite late on. I had loads of candy, but no actual Magnemite to evolve. Took weeks and weeks waiting for one to spawn near me. I hope the Whismurs aren't similarly limited. I've told the kids to hang on to their Magnemites and wait until they get to that stage of the specials.

It’s more that the water event nerfed whismers rather than then being around before. Once the water event is done they’ll be common as year 1 pidgeys again.

On 28/08/2019 at 07:38, MrPogo said:

I just came in to have a moan about how frustrating the game is when you get out of sync with how fast they think you should get the special research done. I was a day late getting to the Whismurs, and am expecting to next be stuck on something like “Catch three Totodiles” for six months when they return to their normal spawn rate in a few days.

Finally seen a Whismur :o :D  Except it turned into a Ditto :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

I caught a 15/13/13 Shadow Psyduck yesterday... I don't want to purify it and make it a 100IV as it looks sooooo stoned. :lol: 

Had no luck hatching a Unown last week either, even though I must have hatched 20+ 10k eggs on two accounts. The shiny Sentret & Gligar spawn rate was terrible, too.

Last week I got an Unown on my 2nd 10k, then caught 2 shiny gligars. Must have clicked on 300+ Sentrets to no avail. 

My whole focus though is getting every Pokemon in the Pokedex, whereas my wife wants all the shinies. So whilst I want a Farfethc’d and a Kanga, she is after all the shinies. 

I gave the game a break about a year back but the August events got me back into and it’s been great for my health. Walking 150k a week now which is really impacting on my general fitness and made the post-Summer work return fairly pleasant.