Pokemon Go

rgraves

1 hour ago, GameplayJenny said:

Ugh, the Valentine's Day collection is going to elude me here :( Need Umbreon, Espeon, Alomomola and Latias to complete if anybody is able to please invite me (2272 2904 3744)

My lot will definitely be doing raid hours later, so I'll invite you. However, I used here to do raids with randoms last night. Alomomola you can get from the 2 raid research task, if you can find it. Up until yesterday my friends couldn't find it anywhere, but I think they've increased the rate of it because it was much more prominent yesterday. 

So, it's finally time after thinking the event was on for the last three weekends :D

I assume there will be a trading requirement, and the local person I used to trade with has vanished off the face of the earth. Is the trading range still extended? If so I'm sure some of you might be within it. And of course if anybody has a whizz-bang website which does trades like the raiding one, please let me know :D  :D 

What’s the best move(s) for Mew Two?

I’ve got a shadow one with excellent IVs which I’ve been shovelling rare candy into in the hope of an event where I can get rid of Frustration & it looks like that’s today!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I finished the Marill research quest this morning, no shiny Marill for me despite catching probably about 50 Marill's.

I mentioned it to my wife, no quest.  I mentioned it to my friend who also plays, no quest.  I read the announcements, it goes live on Sunday.

So it looks like I somehow got early access (likely a bug), what's the chances of them tweaking the shiny rates for it on Sunday? :(

It was released early by accident. Anyone who started it (or finished it!) will have their progress reset, so you'll get to to do it again with the boosted shiny rate on Sunday. I did a few groups of tasks first thing today, but suspected that the shiny rate wasn't going to be boosted as it should have been.

Edit - 

• 2 months later...

We're currently seeing the biggest kick-back by the player base in the 5 years of this game's lifetime. Various vague calls to boycott or at least not spend money, but most prominent was this open letter to Niantic from various youtubers/influencers linked here, but here's an excerpt:

Dear Niantic,

Community and Creators alike wish to voice our concern and disappointment over recent changes to the Pokéstop interaction radius reduction in Pokémon GO. While the Pokéstop/POI interaction radius was increased due to an unprecedented global pandemic, the flow on effects of this in-game change have had a far greater positive impact on the community. [...]

The removal of this feature will and is impacting the community in countless negative ways.

One of the three pillars of Niantic's core philosophy, as communicated by founder and CEO John Hanke, is exploration. Mr Hanke, exploration and the desire to explore was never negatively impacted by the increased Pokéstop interaction radius. The thing negatively impacting exploration is the global pandemic. We request the increased interaction radius remains a permanent quality of life change in Pokémon GO.

We understand changes like this take time to discuss internally, and therefore look forward to your reply by COB Monday 9th August 2021.

Niantic responded with this statement today. Excerpt:

We appreciate your letter and all of your feedback. We hear you. We are humbled by your response. Not every game has such a passionate, global player base that we’re fortunate enough to have.

[...] we have heard your input loud and clear and so to address the concerns you have raised, we are taking the following actions: We are assembling an internal cross-functional team to develop proposals designed to preserve our mission of inspiring people to explore the world together, while also addressing specific concerns that have been raised regarding interaction distance. We will share the findings of this task force by the next in game season change (September 1) [...]

Our goal is to build fun and engaging experiences that remain true to our mission, and we thank you for challenging us with thoughtful and constructive feedback.

The statement does not really attempt to hide it's corporate PR roots, and needless to say has not gone down very well. Pokemon GO has been a bumpy ride for everyone to say the least, and it has survived a myriad of bugs, regular blunders and odd design choices from its creators. But this does seem to be the closest we've come yet to the communities dissatisfaction affecting its success. Time will tell I guess!

Oh, they've been getting shit for months and this is the latest batch because it's so blatant an issue compared to the hidden things the rolled out in the smaller updates.

They'll announce all the money they've made from Go Fest soon, as we will all grumble and nothing will be done. All those YouTubers will still be playing it as they need their money from their channels as that is what they've known for. 

I play but won't spend more money with them as I find it boring as sin at the moment as the content has dropped off.

I've been playing Pokémon Unite which if you ignore all the "come spend money" it's still an enjoyable ten-minute time waster. 

My personal feelings on this are that I find this a strange hill to die on from both sides.

Niantic seem surprisingly stubborn in their desire to bring back the original stop/gym interaction distance. On the face of it it seems like making the changes permanent is of no real detriment to them, and would be worth a lot of goodwill with the players. Though perhaps you could speculate that they might have legally binding contracts with whoever they're selling their data to that the increased distance is impacting. Or that their data is just worth less without the reduced distance and this would affect their profit in ways that only they can calculate.

But from the players I find the strength of the reaction a bit surprising too. From day 1 playing this game has been a case of wading through bugs and unhelpful design choices in order to enjoy the magic of pokemon in the real world - and the systems have been getting steadily more predatory and cynical for years now. Maybe its a case of the straw breaking the camel's back but personally there are a number of things I think are more important than the stop/gym distance being reduced and going back to playing how we were. Yes it's annoying, but I find things like the flying type catch bug, the constant stuttering and frame drops on my very capable Android phone, the XL candy system, the lag and inconsistent mechanics in GBL - all more frustrating.

But Niantic have been walking a tightrope of ignoring (at best) or showing outright contempt for (at worst) their users from the very start, so in a way I do find it a bit satisfying that it's finally come to a head. Might need to re-stock on popcorn for the next few weeks.

@Arn X Treme Yes sadly you're probably right and it will come to nothing in the long run. I think this is the closest we've got to people getting so pissed off that it might actually change something though, so thought it was noteworthy. We'll see!

1 hour ago, John0 said:

@Arn X Treme Yes sadly you're probably right and it will come to nothing in the long run. I think this is the closest we've got to people getting so pissed off that it might actually change something though, so thought it was noteworthy. We'll see!

Oh, no you rant dude and share your opinion, that's the pull of Muk.

Mobile games are a funny one!

I love Pokemon always have and always will, but Go has been a source of massive frustration for so many people.

This is purely about selling the players data to make as much money as they possibly can, this was really obvious from the way in which they held Go Fest prior to Covid. And there's some talk over on Reddit about how the sponsored stops companies are the ones pushing for the change back on distance, again the motivator is money.

I'll still dabble now and again when they add new Pokemon to the game but the days of me teaming up with my Nephews to go to a neighbouring town to raid gyms and buy loads of raid passes are long gone and although my tenner here and there won't affect their massive profits, but I've made my stand and made my choice. 

The interaction distance problem is 100% a contractual issue. Sponsors will have contracts that explicitly include distance requirements. The sponsored stops are absolutely worthless to sponsors (and in extreme circumstances counter-productive) if the interaction distance allows players to be far enough away to not even be in line of sight of the location. Ideally sponsors would want players to actually have to enter the shop to spin the stop/gym or raid it.

The sponsors will likely have threatened Niantic with legal action if they did not revert the distance requirement.

It is a bit of a 'straw that broke the camel's back situation' because Niantic have had a 'bleed it dry' strategy for years now. At some point it will bleed out. Not yet, but it will eventually.

I stopped playing pokemon go months ago but miss the location based gameplay. Orna has been scratching that itch the last couple of weeks but we'll see how long that interest lasts for me.

Yeah I feel the same (@Arn X Treme) - the game is best enjoyed with a very casual attitude and zero expectations these days. I have bought a Go Fest ticket two years running though (though was refunded for the 2020 one obviously) but haven't spent any money apart from that since 2016 due to my stubbornness about how people shouldn't make such obscene amounts of money with such low standards of software development.

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

I love Pokemon always have and always will, but Go has been a source of massive frustration for so many people.

Yeah it's hard to sum up just how frustrating being a Niantic "customer" has been over the past few years. The community reaction may seem petulant at times I guess but damn you can only squeeze the patience out of people for so long.

Definitely had some great times with the game though like you say! Got some good memories. Yet the game still feels like it hasn't fulfilled the potential of the core idea.