rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

State of PC Gaming

Choose wisely  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's EDIT: somewhat, kind of, fucked isn't it. Football games (two out of two, no less) have been behind their console counterparts since forever, PC ports tend to release long after the initial console release (and we're not talking about small budget titles here) and when they do finally arrive on time they're riddled with bugs and performance issues.

It's almost as if the industry is saying "buy our dedicated gaming machines please" because apparently coding for PC is tricky business, even in 2015!

Discuss.

And don't forget to vote and subscribe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 18

If anything I expect PC to take over the living room within the next 5-10 years. If I had the money I'd buy a Steam Box with all the bells and whistles now.

PC gaming has never been in a better position than it is now and your entire post is bollocks.

Batman, NFS, GTAIV and V, PES, FIFA, Watch Dogs, The Crew, The Evil Within, Battlefield 4, Mortal Kombat, Far Cry 4, Advanced Warfare, etc all had either delays, performance issues or other problems and those are just from the top of my head.

• Downvote 1

Batman, NFS, GTAIV and V, PES, FIFA, Watch Dogs, The Crew, Battlefield 4, Mortal Kombat, Far Cry 4, Advanced Warfare, etc all had either delays, performance issues or other problems and those are just from the top of my head.

You seem to have come up with the conclusion "no one in America gives a toss about PES/FIFA and Warner Bros and Ubisoft are shite". GTAIV came out 7 years ago, GTAV was amazing after a few little glitches on certain computers. If you can't cope with waiting for a week to get a patch or fiddling with a few .ini files, don't buy a PC.

Although to be fair the console versions of Europa Universalis IV, Football Manager, Atilla Total War and Endless Legend are amazing ports. I do miss out on having to pay £10 for indie games I got free because I wanted another couple that were bundled with it whilst giving a fiver to charity. I'm about to nudge over a 1000 games on Steam, it's hilarious to think I could afford to do that on a console.

(Also, people who play console games on PC are a bit weird anyway. They're very, very rarely the most interesting or exciting things you can spend time with.)

• Upvote 2

You seem to have come up with the conclusion "no one in America gives a toss about PES/FIFA and Warner Bros and Ubisoft are shite". GTAIV came out 7 years ago, GTAV was amazing after a few little glitches on certain computers. If you can't cope with waiting for a week to get a patch or fiddling with a few .ini files, don't buy a PC.

What? GTAV came out 2 years after its release on console. And what does America have to do with FIFA or PES? I'm talking about the fact that both franchises have had features cut or presentation issues on the PC for quite some time now.

Although to be fair the console versions of Europa Universalis IV, Football Manager, Atilla Total War and Endless Legend are amazing ports. I do miss out on having to pay £10 for indie games I got free because I wanted another couple that were bundled with it whilst giving a fiver to charity. I'm about to nudge over a 1000 games on Steam, it's hilarious to think I could afford to do that on a console.

(Also, people who play console games on PC are a bit weird anyway. They're very, very rarely the most interesting or exciting things you can spend time with.)

So because console games aren't interesting I shouldn't be whining and to top it off I'm weird. Right then!

• Downvote 1

Well due to the Vive and Oculus Rift I'm predicting an increase in PC gaming over the next year or so. I'm buying my first gaming PC in over 15 years because of them this Christmas... them and my Steam sale back cat of over 100 titles that need playing finally too :)

What? GTAV came out 2 years after its release on console. And what does America have to do with FIFA or PES? I'm talking about the fact that both franchises have had features cut or presentation issues on the PC for quite some time now.

So because console games aren't interesting I shouldn't be whining and to top it off I'm weird. Right then!

The best version of GTAV is on PC. Did you really want a last-gen version? Really?

FIFA and PES sell about 9 copies on PC combined. They're cut back versions because no-one will buy them even if they're the best version.

Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and Satellite Reign came out. I'd never see them in a month of Sundays if it wasn't for the PC.

VNIX, your list can be countered with another list which can be countered with another list so this is stupid

Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity and Satellite Reign came out. I'd never see them in a month of Sundays if it wasn't for the PC.

Presumably you only got interested in things like that due to the issues with Need for Speed.

You might remember that Konami had previously planned to release Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain on PC two weeks after the console launch. However, recently they brought forward the release date of the PC version, which will become available in two days, just like on PlayStation & Xbox platforms.

Earlier today, Ken-Ichiro Imaizumi, Senior Producer at Konami Computer Entertainment Japan, explained how this happened: the developers at Konami skipped summer vacation altogether in order to meet this deadline.

PC users often complain about delays and/or mediocre ports, but this time it seems like these programmers need to be commended.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/konami-devs-skipped-vacation-release-mgsv-pc-earlier/#ixzz3ljX4vqqs

https://twitter.com/Ken1555/status/637902534074437632?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Gave up their summer holidays to bring forward the incredible day one port and VNIX is still moaning!

Presumably you only got interested in things like that due to the issues with Need for Speed.

I got into those things in the 90's precisely because i felt the PC offered games with a little more depth.

I think the bigger issue is that VN1X cares about football games. I mean, fucking football games. The kind of games we used to define the term 'casual' by before mobile gaming came along, remember that? Games so silly, they all have the same single fucking map. A multiplayer game with only one map can't be good!

• Upvote 2

The best version of GTAV is on PC. Did you really want a last-gen version? Really?

FIFA and PES sell about 9 copies on PC combined. They're cut back versions because no-one will buy them even if they're the best version.

That's not actually true anymore. Fifa 15 was the same on PC as consoles and 16 will be too. I can't recall if 14 was different, but in any case the days of PC Fifa games being a year behind have gone.

PC gaming is generally in a great place right now.

I got into those things in the 90's precisely because i felt the PC offered games with a little more depth.

I'm not sure you understand how important Need for Speed is. All the games you have played pale into insignificance compared to Need for Speed. If a platform has problems with its version of Need for Speed, that platform might as well cease to be.

That's not actually true anymore. Fifa 15 was the same on PC as consoles and 16 will be too. I can't recall if 14 was different, but in any case the days of PC Fifa games being a year behind have gone.

It still only sold 7 copies:

The game has sold 2.20 million units for the PlayStation 4 and 1.25 million units for the PlayStation 3. 833,336 units were sold for the Xbox 360 and 610,303 units were sold for the Xbox One.

The other versions of the game lagged behind. The PlayStation Vita version sold 32,765 units, the PC version 30,953, the Wii version 20,799, and the 3DS version 11,218.

Ie. Less than the Vita version which is actually a four year old game.

If you're playing The Need for Speed on anything other than a 3DO, you're doing it wrong.

A 3DO is definitely a better gaming machine than a PC at this point. CONFIRMED.

I've pretty much moved from being a console gamer to being a PC gamer now - my preferred platform is PC. I only get PS4 games when they're exclusive. 1440p, 60fps and ludicrously cheap prices nail it for me.

• Upvote 1

Seems fine to me.

I think there's just a lack of truly appealing games in general.

There are only 3 games that I really have my eye on right now - Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii / Wii U), Shenmue III (PC/PS4) and High Fidelity (PC).

Most games these days I find to be soulless and bland.

But then again I grew up with games like Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue and so on!

If someone told me that games now were actually TRYING to be as bad as possible then at least it would make sense!

Oh, I haven't played The Last of Us - I want to try that!

Seems fine to me.

I think there's just a lack of truly appealing games in general.

There are only 3 games that I really have my eye on right now - Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii / Wii U), Shenmue III (PC/PS4) and High Fidelity (PC).

Most games these days I find to be soulless and bland.

But then again I grew up with games like Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue and so on!

If someone told me that games now were actually TRYING to be as bad as possible then at least it would make sense!

Oh, I haven't played The Last of Us - I want to try that!

Games are trying to be as bad as possible.

• Upvote 2

PC gaming has never been in a better place. Generally console titles are more often than not released on the same day.

Broken ports are few and is overstated. Even Batman will come good and is working much better now than on its launch. Even the bad ports are usually better than console versions. I'd rather games get delayed rather than a rush port as there's never a shortage of fantastic games to play which span decades.

Loads of Japanese devs are taking the PC market seriously now. Dragons Dogma a game released last gen can now be properly realised. Just need Red Dead Redemption now.

I'm fairly sure Vnix must have me on ignore because I pointed this out in the other thread to no avail.