IGNORED

State of PC Gaming

Nespresso

Choose wisely  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only play Last of Us if you're looking for something to reaffirm your notion that games nowadays are bland.

This is absolute nonsense. The Last of Us is, in my opinion, the best game ever made.

Even if you look at it entirely objectively, it certainly cannot be seen to be bland given the vibrant art style, industry-leading story-telling, and arguably the best characterisation in the history of the medium.

Yeah, but on the other hand it's so boooring, and if 'stretching a generic Hollywood drama out for ten hours' is 'industry-leading story-telling', or 'man with a tragic past sneaks past or murders hundreds of monsters between occasional bouts of emotion and awkward surrogate fathering' is 'the best characterisation in the history of the medium', then the only conclusion that can be drawn is that this is a medium and industry in need of severe improvement in those respects.

I know my last post was pretty moany xD

I guess just not that many games really get my attention anymore.

Contagion is another one I enjoy - I put a lot of hours into that :)

One thing I'd love to see is Destiny on PC with fully-functional keyboard and voice chat and keyboard and mouse controls!

That would be SO good ^_^

I hardly touch my gaming pc now, mainly because of the comfort factor of lazing on the couch with a controller and gaming on the big TV. Saying that, PC gaming is in a great place just now, just not for me.

Steam Link can bring PC gaming to your couch...

If anything I expect PC to take over the living room within the next 5-10 years. If I had the money I'd buy a Steam Box with all the bells and whistles now.

People just need to realise that it's just as easy to stick a win 10 mini ATX under the TV as it is a PS4. I did it a few years back and have rarely touched a console since.

I hardly touch my gaming pc now, mainly because of the comfort factor of lazing on the couch with a controller and gaming on the big TV. Saying that, PC gaming is in a great place just now, just not for me.

I've been playing my PC on my big screen TV sitting on my couch with a controller for several years as I said. I don't see why people fear putting a PC underneath their TV.

This is absolute nonsense. The Last of Us is, in my opinion, the best game ever made.

It's brown and repetitive. My overriding memory of it is crouching about through samey looking buildings in the dark trying to avoid those annoying enemies. I still managed to finish it through.

Let's not turn this into another TLOU thread though.

Steam Link can bring PC gaming to your couch...

I did something a bit different.. I got a wireless 360 controller and a really long hdmi wire for like $14 on amazon, plugged it from pc to TV. Then I found this program that lets me use the 360 controller to move the mouse. Voila, pc gaming on my television.

Apparently they sell wireless hdmi transmitters too now. Was gonna get one but I'm unsure if there would be any delay between the tv and pc.

I guess I should've rephrased it to "State of PC gaming is partially fucked" but that's already too nuanced to draw in a crowd (pander ftw right).

I'm just amazed that time and time again PC releases don't even hold a candle to the console versions. I find it pretty funny though that "oh it doesn't sell on PC anyway so why bother?" is an argument used to somehow prove that PC gaming is definitely as good as ever.

I think the bigger issue is that VN1X cares about football games. I mean, fucking football games. The kind of games we used to define the term 'casual' by before mobile gaming came along, remember that? Games so silly, they all have the same single fucking map. A multiplayer game with only one map can't be good!

I still reckon the publishers are missing out on not selling a FIFA Collector's Edition with a cloth map in a tin box and small plastic player figures (a la Subbuteo).

If it came with a cloth map I would seriously consider buying a FIFA game :(

They could do different editions.. a Wet Weather cloth map, a Dry Weather cloth map, a Snow/Ice cloth map. Then there's the collectable plastic figures. Even better if they had amiibo-like powers to be scanned in to your game as playable characters.

I really want to buy both consoles and play Forza 6, Driveclub, and Pro Evo on the sofa, but where am I going to find the time when I'm already playing MGSV, League, Elite and Street Fighter?

And then we have Fallout 4 and Battlefront out in the next few months, both of which will be at least the equal of their console versions on PC.

Batman, NFS, GTAIV and V, PES, FIFA, Watch Dogs, The Crew, The Evil Within, Battlefield 4, Mortal Kombat, Far Cry 4, Advanced Warfare, etc all had either delays, performance issues or other problems and those are just from the top of my head.

That's a pretty short list and some of those end up being the best version after they've been patched. A port being bad like The Evil Within also typically means it's still better than the console version..

So a few games release a little later on PC. What about the massive amount of games that release first on PC (Minecraft, The new Elite, Divinity OS, Terraria, ARK, Wasteland II etc.) or those that are only well represented on PC (entire genres)?

PC gaming has never been better. Huge library spanning decades, dirt cheap prices, incredible performance, free online, controller support in 99% of titles that have controller support on next gen consoles. I'd recommend getting the consoles, because there's still a lot of good stuff on them, but if I could only have one, the answer would unequivocally be PC these days.

I have both PC and Console.

PC has easily the most variety of every game type conceivable and once you have a rig set up games are cheaper too.

Lets face it I'm guessing console games are written in the case of the XBO with very similar toolchains except the XBO will be heavily optimised for that device. So its only maybe the variances in hardware that causes some issues however few and far between these days (had PCs for a long while and remember the mess it used to be).

Anyway... PC has never been better IMHO. More variety, better prices and more scope for getting new tech implemented into games quicker (VR etc).

The only problem with PC gaming is the intial cost of a decent rig but that is offset by the cheap'ass games. Sure you get the odd shitty port but they usually get patched quickly. The only port I can remember pissing me off was Dead rising 3, that took a while for Capcom to get off their arse and realise that gaming laptops are a thing, the game was unplayable for a week or two, unacceptable of course. My PS4 is gathering dust again, I did play through Dying light and Zombie army trilogy on it but thats about it. I want to get Until dawn but I'm drowning in PC games at the moment.

If you're a Stereoscopic 3D nut like me then PC gaming offers several solutions to play most games in 3D that were never designed for 3D, Mad max in 3D, Witcher 3 in 3D, The vanishing of Ethan carter in 3D etc ect.

The state of PC gaming? So good that my laptops battery is fucked because my laptop is plugged in and on almost all day everyday.

So good that my laptops battery is fucked because my laptop is plugged in and on almost all day everyday.

You could just not plug in the battery at all, explains the reason why a lot of laptop batteries degrade so quickly, people cooking the poor things to death needlessly.

PC gaming is great. It was really awful for so long, but now it's in a good place. Much easier to buy, play or update games these days, even though it's still not as simple as console games sometimes. I like consoles for the exclusives and it's a really big shame that we don't have AAA PC exclusives to enjoy immense graphics, AI, more complex level design, etc. I mainly use my PC to play the top graphical versions of my favorite games with mods, plus of course those amazing RPGs and indies that are coming out. PC is enjoying its best years. Her Story proves that.

I have to say though. Anyone who can watch or play The Last of Us and not realize its storytelling and general writing/direction achievements is clearly a loon. Or hasn't played Left Behind yet. :P

Getting a new PC last year has been bloody great just for the turn based strategy games (wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Dead State) and point n clicks (Book of Unwritten tales 2, Broken Sword 5), which I've missed since my last PC was about able to run HL2 and that was it. Oh and Cities Skylines. And some other kickstarter stuff.

Oh and let's not forget the rllmuk Steam Secret Santa, which is worth buying a PC for on it's own :D