IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

I totally regret buying this now. I can't even beat the first boss. I am so bad at Souls, I don't know why I even bothered.

The slog back to bosses in BB enraged me, and this gives the same feeling of fucking fury. Biiiig mistake.

1 hour ago, U-1 said:

Here's my very first attempt at the Mission 3 boss:

Hide contents

Couldn't get much closer! Got him after a couple more attempts.

Definitely the most enjoyable boss fight so far. (That music :wub:)

You are consistently the best gamer on Rllmuk. I love watching your videos, be it shooters, racers or arcade titles. I'm in awe of your skills.

That boss was too cheesable

Spoiler

I just used the pillars as cover :) hardly touched me.

Im not really rating this tbh. I'll stick with it but...

The levels aren't as well crafted as the Souls games and I feel less invested invested in the action style of it. Basically there's no real sense of dread and the cutscenes and story are bobbins. There's non of that lore that hangs it all together and the loot is just overkill and unecessary, I've hardly used or looked at most items. I'm finding the combat fun though. 

12 hours ago, Meh said:

The slog back to bosses in BB enraged me, and this gives the same feeling of fucking fury. Biiiig mistake.

I don't think there has been a single boss yet (and I just got to area 3) that you couldn't just run to from the closest shrine in about 30 seconds, it's one of the things this does much better than Souls games.

Beat Mr Blobby boss last night first go then did the easiest twilight daily which was fun.

Honestly, the combat system is so robust and flexible, it's the highlight of the game. I'm crap at lightning reflex combos too, but going with a slower weapon like the axe or spear means you can play as a turtle, kiting the enemy and baiting their attacks before going in for one or two hits and backing out again. As your knowledge of the systems and confidence improves, you'll find yourself wanting to try out mid-combo stance switches and what have you, just because experimenting is just plain fun.

Agreed.

The game is not combo heavy. You don’t have crazy things like; x,x,x,y,y,x,y

The depth of the fighting comes from your ki management (stamina). You can’t just wail indefinitely otherwise you run out of ki very quickly, it’s more about learning how to optimise your ki, using stance, timing and ki pulses (a ki pulse will let you regain ki faster than letting it fill naturally) in order to give you the most opportunity.

When you first start you’ll be going with the “few pokes, retreat” ideal until you get used to things.

Nearly got Dual Swords maxed out so I can manage a 

Square, Square, Square, Square, Triangle, Triangle 

Which normally knocks down human or small yokai enemies and I can follow up with a ground stab.

But yeah playing with agility at A it feel proper bad-ass to do that then Ki Pulse out and swoop back in to follow up :)

When I first played Dark Souls I found it really tricky almost from the start, and spent hours just trying to reach the first proper boss. Once I got into the swing of things though everything became a lot more manageable, if not exactly easy. It's more a case of it being unforgiving rather than being overly difficult, and as long as you don't overreach you'll usually be fine. You can also summon help when things get really tough, which makes a big difference.

I'd also say that Dark Souls never demands that you learn strings of tricky combos to do well, which I personally find far harder than what the Souls games ask of you. I've not played Nioh but it sounds like that doesn't actually require that sort of thing either.

My 2 cents

It’s tough in the respect that you have to learn.

Most games these days let you pass through relatively unharmed, you maybe die a couple of times.

Games like DS require you to learn and understand, otherwise you will die.

So the first essential hurdle you have to learn is accepting death, because you WILL die lots as part of this process. If you can’t get past this then the games aren’t for you.

If you’re happy to sit there and go “I died there because I went in too far into the cave and got doubled teamed, how can I get round this? Well I could possibly come in from the left side, draw the first guy away and take them one at a time”. Then repeat the level, and see if it works.

Once you get this mind set you’ll find the games some of the most rewarding experiences in games today.

13 hours ago, cerseis eyebrows said:

Right, question then.

Never played Dark Souls. After watching my man Dansgaming play through this I've taken interest in it. So on a scale of one to God Hand how hard is Nioh (and the Souls games I guess)?

I'd recommend you start with Bloodborne if you try the Fromsoft games!

They're not hard, they just ask you to pay attention to their carefully-considered mechanics. 

They're the best games.  

I can't wait to get into Nioh.  Soon, my beauty. 

Yep, as others have said it's just accepting that death isn't failure, it's just part of the game.

The trick with combat is patience, timing and making sure you're not greedy. When I first started soulsborne games I'd wade in flailling weapons hoping to damage enemies but so soon learn to wait and counter.

Also, beat Umi Bozi last night which I found tough, particularly his second form.

That level was trickier for me generally, mainly due to narrow platforms and fights near waters edge. Didn't help that I kept dodging and falling into the water!

That sub-mission with the Eagle Yokai fight after the waves is bloody hard too, think I'll leave that one and come back after I've leveled up a bit.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

My 2 cents

It’s tough in the respect that you have to learn.

Most games these days let you pass through relatively unharmed, you maybe die a couple of times.

Games like DS require you to learn and understand, otherwise you will die.

So the first essential hurdle you have to learn is accepting death, because you WILL die lots as part of this process. If you can’t get past this then the games aren’t for you.

If you’re happy to sit there and go “I died there because I went in too far into the cave and got doubled teamed, how can I get round this? Well I could possibly come in from the left side, draw the first guy away and take them one at a time”. Then repeat the level, and see if it works.

Once you get this mind set you’ll find the games some of the most rewarding experiences in games today.

I like the sound of this, reminds me of Halo on pukka hard settings. Cheers for the response though people. Nice bunch.

Anyone got a spare PS4?

My opinion on this is that the bosses are generally better to fight than the From Software games. 

Most bosses in Souls/Bloodborne I just ganked as I find their patterns hard to read. In this I feel like I'm learning each time I die to them. Maybe they're more old school and I prefer that, I dunno. 

Once you've got the hang of the combat system I don't think it's overly hard, it's just the right level of challenging. 

Not keen on the stage I'm on now (mine with green gas and gas blowing machines) but I've liked everything else. I've done all the sub missions on the first map except the super hard dude but I'll come back for him later. 

48 minutes ago, df0 said:

Goemon forgot to add "But the game is one step ahead of you and placed a double bastard hard enemy on the left side."

:lol: Indeed. 

Top Tip: If you get even the slightest whiff of a set up, tread with caution!

Survival favours the wary.

BZOsBCp.gif

2 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

My opinion on this is that the bosses are generally better to fight than the From Software games. 

Most bosses in Souls/Bloodborne I just ganked as I find their patterns hard to read. In this I feel like I'm learning each time I die to them. Maybe they're more old school and I prefer that, I dunno. 

Once you've got the hang of the combat system I don't think it's overly hard, it's just the right level of challenging. 

Not keen on the stage I'm on now (mine with green gas and gas blowing machines) but I've liked everything else. I've done all the sub missions on the first map except the super hard dude but I'll come back for him later. 

I got the Platinum in Bloodborne but haven't touched the other DS games, and I agree - the boss patterns here are very old-school and Japanese 16-bit era, I can't really describe the feeling you get from them. They remind me of Gunstar Heroes bosses just as much as they remind me of those from BB. That's a huge positive for me BTW! With someone like OoK from The Old Hunters I always felt that I was banging my head against a brick wall, even after 20~30 attempts. I never quite knew where I was going wrong and the battles could be a lot more chaotic. In Nioh the systems and rules are defined at the start of the battle once you spend some time observing and you can clearly see yourself making some sort of progress every time you die; you're learning, especially when you start taking ki into account and learn when to back off and when to go in blazing.

It does things differently anyway. I don't think I can choose between them at the moment!

Speaking of mechanics, anyone notice how (mild Twilight missions spoilers):

Spoiler

The bosses have new move-sets at higher difficulties? Onryoki bowls the iron balls full pelt towards you rather than lobbing them for example, really difficult to dodge!

42 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

I never quite knew where I was going wrong and the battles

I'm becoming a big fan of this theory and after a fight taking some time to think

"Okay, what am I doing wrong"

Identifying points of contention and thinking about how to deal with them.

With regard to the spoiler I did notice that, however I didn't notice anything with another TM boss I fought

Also, I went back to the original mission and replayed it to collect Kadama's and the boss was doing this. Not sure if it's a bug or not.