IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

I would say the game desync’ed.

As in the information passing back and forth between host and client is soooo out of sync it just keels over and reverts to doing nothing.

I imagine on the other guys screen, he was cursing you as he was fighting the boss and you were just standing there.

12 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

So, here I was, feeling all baller for knowing how to perfectly Ki Pulse and (outside of tense boss battles) Ki Flux reliably.  And then I saw this.

I feel like a four-year-old right now.

This video is amazing

One of the many reasons this game is a 10/10 for me. 

So much thought has gone into every system, it's truly a wonder to behold.

I really hope it does well.

Paging @Fallows to the thread. You need to play this game.

How do you do the Ki flux?

Is it by pressing R1 and a face button (not the stance you're currently in) at the same time when you would normally just press R1 to pulse?

I tend to just dodge pulse using X so that's quite a shake-up for me!

7 hours ago, Goemon said:

Really! That's a damn shame because between this and Nier: Automata in a couple of weeks, nothing else is getting a look in right now.

I'm looking at getting Nier for the PC eventually.

Other than that I'm not currently getting many jobs coming in, so I'd look like a massive twat for grinding something like this during work days. I'd never be able to resist knowing I have it in the next room. lol!  Zelda will be out in a couple of weeks so I'm just going to casually stroll through that. 

Next mission down ( ice ice baby ) without a single death, including the boss. Nice design on the boss & a good moveset but she wasn't a real threat. 

Cleared the subsequent side missions out straight afterwards, fighting the first boss again was pretty cool, more of a challenge than the main boss as well. 

On the downside, my Kurisigama of choice is getting slightly underlevelled now, but it costs too much to soul match it any further. :( 

Hopefully I'll get a new one drop soon. 

9 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

NIOH IS GETTING ALL KINDS OF DLC INCLUDING STUFF WITH MASAMUNE AAAAAAAAAAAH :D:D:D

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/nioh-add-high-difficulty-missions-late-march-pvp-late-april-first-dlc-details

New weapon types means more build diversity. And that means even more time spent with this fantastic game!

On a side note: I'm currently reading Vagabond, which is a Manga series about the life of legendary Japanese swordsman Miyamoto Musashi. So you can imagine my utter delight when he shows up as a cameo in this game. 8-)

Regarding the crafting/soul matching - am I doing it wrong by ignoring all of this?

The way I'm playing is just finding better gear and weapons and selling the tat I don't like. I think I've only done the shop stuff once just to get the beard option.

I really don't understand how it all works so I've been ignoring it and just brute-forcing the game.

I read somewhere that if you like certain stat boosts on an item but there's a different one with a higher overall level, you can combine them, but it's way over my head.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say fuck this game. I was really enjoying it up until Umibozu, probably on track to be my game of the year but a boss with one hit kills and a shitty environment with no shrine outside the door? I don't have time for games that don't respect my time and having to run a good 30 seconds to get back to a boring boss that I only died on because I rolled and fell through a fucking fence into the ocean is no fun.

28 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say fuck this game. I was really enjoying it up until Umibozu, probably on track to be my game of the year but a boss with one hit kills and a shitty environment with no shrine outside the door? I don't have time for games that don't respect my time and having to run a good 30 seconds to get back to a boring boss that I only died on because I rolled and fell through a fucking fence into the ocean is no fun.

There's a shrine about ten seconds away from the boss. Facing the boss door take a right, head up onto the roof, then follow it around until you see a spot you can drop down. There's a door to unlock nearby which makes a shortcut appear.

I'm struggling to pick this back up myself, to be fair. The combat's failed to engage with me in any real way, it's surprisingly easy for the most part. I put it aside for Yakuza 0 - which was tremendous - then played a few missions more of this and went back to Berseria. I'm sure I'll finish it, but I think I need to get Berseria done first.

2 hours ago, ph0rce said:

The run back, even without the shortcut shrine, is 30 seconds at best, with no enemies. 

If you're giving up on the game, I hardly doubt that's the real reason. :P

Meh, 30 seconds each time for a cheap boring boss that I've just been unlucky in is a lot when I've got Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil and Halo Wars 2 to be playing. That's all it is, I just don't have time to waste. I just want to play and enjoy so many games that when I come to something like this I just realise I could be making progress in something else.

It's great because I remember seeing so many people have trouble with Hinoenma, a boss I thought was tough but fair and thinking what a bunch of babies they were. Well now it's my time to suck on that dummy because fuck water in this game and fuck having to walk back to the fight. I tried finding the shortcut that Kayin Amoh mentioned but couldn't and I almost rage deleted it the last time I rolled through the fence into the drink but I know that in half a year I'll be back and I'll beat it on my first attempt.

EDIT - And after I couldn't find that shortcut I thought, well may as well try again while I'm here and beat it first go because of course I would. Still shit though.

I have to agree and say that this copies one of the worst traits of Dark Souls games in shrine/bonfire placements before bosses. It is just fucking stupid. The path to the Umbozo boss is about 30 seconds of running and re-dodging enemies. It is totally pointless, with a door to open at the end too. Its not something you should disagree on, it is just boring and repetitive. If you think its great and defensible then you obviously have something wrong with you, and a lot of time on your hands.

Despite that I am still enjoying the game, doing a

snow level

right now. I have no idea where it appears in the quest, I have long given up on the story, dialogue and characters. Its too complicated. Why do they always do this in games?  Its like every games story writer wants to make their own version of a Tolkien novel. IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE THAT COMPLEX

Haha, it's barely a 30 second run & there's one enemy, who doesn't even have time to get up before you're at the door so yes, I agree that anyone arguing either way on this point has too much time on their hands. ;)

Personally I think the levels have been very well designed, particularly in regards to looping back round, shortcuts & yes, even shrine placements. The snow / ice level is excellent in this regard. DS2 is the perfect example of how not to do bonfires / shrines, I don't want one round every corner. 

Anyway, the fact that this is what we are currently arguing about highlights how good the rest of the game must be. :D

And yes, the story is absolute bobbins, without a doubt. 

Spoiler

I don't think the story's complete bobbins, but it's not very well told and does nothing to make us westerners give a shit about who these various samurai of the age are.

The battle of Sekigahara is probably the seminal battle of Japanese history, but there's little build-up to it in the game and hardly any introduction to who Ishida and Tokugawa are, or what's at stake, or why the player should care. I actually would have liked more cutscenes in between missions to fill in some of the background goings-on and add some meat to the plot.

Sorry, minor story spoilers above, can't type proper on my phone.

The game itself is bloody awesome though, can't stop thinking about it.

4 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

Meh, 30 seconds each time for a cheap boring boss that I've just been unlucky in is a lot when I've got Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil and Halo Wars 2 to be playing. That's all it is, I just don't have time to waste. I just want to play and enjoy so many games that when I come to something like this I just realise I could be making progress in something else.

To be fair, this is hardly the game's fault! It's like me complaining that it takes Roach bloody ages to gallop to the next mission waypoint in Witcher when I could just be switching my PS4 on and immediately shooting shit up in Battlefield. The game is what it is, and pretty fairly spread out checkpoints before bosses are part and parcel of the genre.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collectors-Strategy-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930837/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487704668&sr=8-1&keywords=nioh+guide

Nioh guide by Future Press is up for pre-order. It's out in April.

£27:99 is probably a placeholder price as the Horizon Zero Dawn Guide also done by Future Press dropped by £8 recently to be under £20,

Team Ninja's Nioh is the very definition of an epic-scale game in need of an encyclopedic tome, and we're not going to let it go without. The Future Press Collector's Edition Guide contains the sum of countless hours, innumerable deaths and monumental victories to bring you everything you'll ever want to know about Nioh's incredibly deep and expansive world. From its myriad combat options and strategies, to its wonderful fusion of Japanese culture, history and mythology, we'll share every little nuance. Nothing is omitted or overlooked - we explore the game's creation, from concept art stage to release, delve into its story and illuminate its darkest areas with highly detailed maps. Covering not only the base game but all three of the upcoming story DLCs and PVP additions, this book will arm you with the knowledge to send samurai, Yokai and other online players back to the world of spirits.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

To confirm...

You're running from here, right?

Because the enemy interaction is borderline non-existent and it's 20s

I've missed a trick here.

When I did it, even though I'd previously fought it and beat it, there was a huge mofo enemy just before the door every single time. In this video, he is missing?