IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

9 hours ago, MrHendo said:

Regarding the crafting/soul matching - am I doing it wrong by ignoring all of this?

The way I'm playing is just finding better gear and weapons and selling the tat I don't like. I think I've only done the shop stuff once just to get the beard option.

I really don't understand how it all works so I've been ignoring it and just brute-forcing the game.

I read somewhere that if you like certain stat boosts on an item but there's a different one with a higher overall level, you can combine them, but it's way over my head.

I'm not expert at this by any means, but the soul matching is useful if you have a weapon you like that's now underleveled - I had an usarigama with fire effect, which was great, but doing less and less damage as I progressed. With soul matching you can sacrifice a higher-level but not-actually-as-useful weapon and boost the one you like back to being effective. Reforge is potentially good as well, because you can blank out weapon effects and reforge and it'll give random replacements for the ones you've discarded (I tried it about 10 times on one weapon and couldn't get a good elemental effect, but did get life drain, which is handy).

1 hour ago, Djx said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collectors-Strategy-Guide-Future-Press/dp/3869930837/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487704668&sr=8-1&keywords=nioh+guide

Nioh guide by Future Press is up for pre-order. It's out in April.

£27:99 is probably a placeholder price as the Horizon Zero Dawn Guide also done by Future Press dropped by £8 recently to be under £20,

Excellent.. cheers for the heads-up. 

At least 50 attempts so far tonight on Yuki Onna. She can fuck off. (Awaits the obligatory "oh really, I pissed that boss on my first go" reply)

I don't think my old bones are up to this reflex test, her moves are fairly brutal in most configurations.

For a game thriving on reflexes, the stun and floored timing of 3 or more seconds in an attack window of about 0.5 is savage.

Is there any upgrade stat that improves this, or am i fated to watch as i get mullered while lying down on the job?

Next mission done & dusted, White Tiger was another pretty straightforward boss. Almost had him on the first go, till I got greedy & then must have failed about ten times in a row due to trying to rush it. 

By far the biggest challenge so far has been the fucking 'Greater Demon Hunting' sub-mission. That guy is an absolute monster when he's dialled up to the max, it's not so much the attack patterns that are the problem but it's the fact that one mistake is either dead or I've got to use two Elixer to get full health back. 

The 'assistance' you get makes life interesting as well, much easier to bait attacks when it's just you. 

Must have spent the last 45 minutes on him, it's done now but I'm out of Elixir, explosives & used more Fire Resin than I'd have liked.

10 hours ago, englishbob said:

At least 50 attempts so far tonight on Yuki Onna. She can fuck off. (Awaits the obligatory "oh really, I pissed that boss on my first go" reply)

I don't think my old bones are up to this reflex test, her moves are fairly brutal in most configurations.

For a game thriving on reflexes, the stun and floored timing of 3 or more seconds in an attack window of about 0.5 is savage.

Is there any upgrade stat that improves this, or am i fated to watch as i get mullered while lying down on the job?

I thought she was a very tough boss. Like 2 hours I spent on her and it was the first time I started swearing :)

Tips from me

Stay at mid distance for the first half of her health bar. You're looking to react to when she throws her weapon, she twirls her weapon before doing this. At this point you need to dodge, run in and then 2 strikes. No more. If you can ki flux stance switch to light stance, do it after your strikes. You need to be ready to either dodge an AOE move or block her 2 hit weapon slash so you need to recognise what she will do. I found it best after the attacks and ki flux to back off blocking and watch. 

When she fires her ice shots you can dodge them by running directly left or right. This is only true for certain types of shots.

When she gets to around half a bar she will start to do different types. You need to recognise the type (normally by the way they point. Some home in of you which you can dodge if you run, others just fire in a given direction - these ones you MUST block.

Any other attack from her in the first half of the health bar no more than 1 strike and back off. She recovers too fast to get anything more.

2nd half of the fight she gains a new attack the dash/grab. Super dangerous move. It's at least half a bar of health, comes at you very fast and has the same telegraph as her much slower weapon throw (weapon twirl)

However it is also her biggest achilles heel...

Most important - 2nd half of the fight move out to long range.

This is because the dash/grab is her new go to move. She will do it a lot and it's hard to dodge. 

However it has limited distance and she will run out of steam if you're too far away. Learn this distance and learn to be just outside of it. She needs to recover after it finishes, it's enough for a good couple of strikes on her. After the strikes, ki flux and get back to long distance. It makes the 2nd half of the fight A LOT easier.

Good luck!

38 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

He has a ton of HP too; I had to switch to high stance to do any real damage to him. But it's a cool mission; you'll get his moves down to a tee :) Which comes in handy later, as it's not the last you'll see of him. Also: completing that mission with your partner still "alive" counts towards your co-op count; you'll get a trophy for 10. 

In other news: I just heard that today's twilight missions contain the last one I need :) Which means that, if all goes well, I'll have the platinum trophy before the end of the afternoon! Can't wait to get home.

Got so wrapped up in beating that sub mission, I forgot all about that fucking ( optional ) Nue on the previous main mission. 

He was at least as tough as when I fought him the first time, except there was less room to manoeuvre. Took a good few attempts, and pretty much all my bloody Elixer as well. 

Did my first Twilight Mission yesterday as well, Squirming Sprite, only the easy one. It wasn't hard but the enemy combinations sure were interesting, not looking forward to seeing what a 125 level mission looks like. 

I should start this post by saying that I really suck at games even though I love playing them, and most of the bosses in this have taken me multiple attempts (some an embarrassing amount). But...I found Umi Bozu to be ridiculously easy.

All his attacks have plenty of sign posting and he pretty much just sits there and lets you go nuts on him, certainly for the first part of the fight anyway.

Oh, and the run back to the fight isn't anymore than some of the others I swear.

Gah, the Giant Toad is going to be a massive pain in the arse. Not because he seems any more difficult that anyone else, just that I am completely out of Elixer again & it being a new area, I don't have my Kodamas powered up. 

Spent half an hour farming a group of ninjas & some revenants, only had two drop. :(

Highlight of the night was the bloody wall though, you know which one I mean, absolutely amazing. :o

Just beat Toady this morning.

Ph0rce sounds like you’re chugging to much elixir early on in the boss fights.

I’ve got over 100 in my stash!! Then again I’m another extreme where I try to beat a boss without using any at all.

45 hours in now and I still can’t stop thinking about this game ><

That whole ninja house mission was a freakin quality level too!

Ninjas coming out of nowhere, fiendish traps, fake walls, final twist (no pun intended ;)). Absolutely loved it.

Also made me think - I don’t like the Living Weapon.

It feels like I’m cheating when I use it.

I got setup in that mission and I fell for it hook, line and sinker. Ended up in a really bad spot, but it was my own fault for running in. However I just turned on Living Weapon and chinned everything without worry.

I don’t like this. I think it should have been my death.

Same with bosses. If DS bosses taught me anything it’s that it’s never over until it’s over. However in this, if you have Living Weapon, it really is over.

I also think that this initial run of the game is literally just the beginning…

I currently fight like I’m playing DS (no more than a couple of strikes at a time) but I really feel that when you’re REALLY versed in the combat, you’ll fight more like NG.

I think you’ll be able to sit in an enemies face relentlessly, using a combination of attacks, blocks, dodges, combined with ki pulse, ki flux, free movement and never let up.

Can’t wait to see what some top players are able to pull off in the future

/gushing

On 2/21/2017 at 10:55, Kayin Amoh said:

There's a shrine about ten seconds away from the boss. Facing the boss door take a right, head up onto the roof, then follow it around until you see a spot you can drop down. There's a door to unlock nearby which makes a shortcut appear.

I'm struggling to pick this back up myself, to be fair. The combat's failed to engage with me in any real way, it's surprisingly easy for the most part. I put it aside for Yakuza 0 - which was tremendous - then played a few missions more of this and went back to Berseria. I'm sure I'll finish it, but I think I need to get Berseria done first.

You need to persist with this a bit more. Get some more weapon skills unlocked and do some investigation on combat. 

I think until you're dancing around the bigger Yokai without letting up then there's more to discover.

7 minutes ago, dood said:

Current Any% is about 2hours 20 mins according to my youtube feed! Hehe.

I will have to check a few of these out. I haven't watched any videos yet for spoilers but I imagine there's some OP magic abuse in there. 

I'm talking more about the combat purests that will take on bosses, melee only, with no damage.

From a Flux II (double stance switching on a ki pulse) you can earn approx 20% of your KI back. 

With this in mind it's possible to go light attack, Flux II and be at a higher KI level than before you did the attack. 

So basic examples like this should be possible:

Heavy attack, Flux 2, dodge, Light attack, Flux II, and be back at a similar KI having attacked the enemy, dodged his attack and attacked him again.

My lack of Elixr is down to a few points, I think; I've been disassembling everything rather than converting at the shrine for free ones, I haven't died a lot over the past three main missions & associated sub-missions so there's not been much opportunity to farm for drops &, which is my own fault, I set my boon to Amrita rather than Elixer all throughout the previous region. Too greedy. :rolleyes:

I've seen some advanced players on YouTube take down bosses in seconds using end game builds and, as others have said, whilst the magic and buffs look a bit OP these players play it less like Souls and more like Ninja Gaiden.

Once you get into the end game and grinding for better gear and reforging for better stats, the stat fiddling rivals Diablo3 in terms of build tweaking.

Proper amazing as this game came out of nowhere for me, and I'm 50hrs in and loving it.

Just completed the assault on Fushimi castle - probably my least favourite level so far.

Spoiler

Fire. Everywhere. And the wheelmonks are powerhouses in this level, they can take you down so easily even with fire resist charms and what have you, and you have so little space to maneuvre.

The boss was great though, and I felt that you had to get some of that combo-loving NG magic on or you would really struggle.

Spoiler

Saika's got a very good block and is resistant to break, with a high stamina pool. The only option I found was to get an opening and then keep up the combo for as long as possible.

Onward! :wub:

Just got back from holiday and bought this game, I'm dying a lot in the first proper level after the beginning of the game, mostly to the large demon type things. I am just crap or am I doing something wrong? They can basically 1 or 2 shot me

I found them troublesome to start with too. They get easier as you get better gear, but I also found that things became a lot easier after I switched to light armour and dodged more. I try to keep my agility at "B" now and everything's going a lot more smoothly.

On 22/02/2017 at 09:00, Goemon said:

I thought she was a very tough boss. Like 2 hours I spent on her and it was the first time I started swearing :)

Tips from me

Hide contents

Stay at mid distance for the first half of her health bar. You're looking to react to when she throws her weapon, she twirls her weapon before doing this. At this point you need to dodge, run in and then 2 strikes. No more. If you can ki flux stance switch to light stance, do it after your strikes. You need to be ready to either dodge an AOE move or block her 2 hit weapon slash so you need to recognise what she will do. I found it best after the attacks and ki flux to back off blocking and watch. 

When she fires her ice shots you can dodge them by running directly left or right. This is only true for certain types of shots.

When she gets to around half a bar she will start to do different types. You need to recognise the type (normally by the way they point. Some home in of you which you can dodge if you run, others just fire in a given direction - these ones you MUST block.

Any other attack from her in the first half of the health bar no more than 1 strike and back off. She recovers too fast to get anything more.

2nd half of the fight she gains a new attack the dash/grab. Super dangerous move. It's at least half a bar of health, comes at you very fast and has the same telegraph as her much slower weapon throw (weapon twirl)

However it is also her biggest achilles heel...

Most important - 2nd half of the fight move out to long range.

This is because the dash/grab is her new go to move. She will do it a lot and it's hard to dodge. 

However it has limited distance and she will run out of steam if you're too far away. Learn this distance and learn to be just outside of it. She needs to recover after it finishes, it's enough for a good couple of strikes on her. After the strikes, ki flux and get back to long distance. It makes the 2nd half of the fight A LOT easier.

Good luck!

At least a hundred goes so far. Hours and hours spent.

I struggle with avoiding the 5 pronged overhead ice attack fuck thing. But I have just re-read your comments and might as well try to block it rather than dodge it, because it hardly ever works

Mission after the Toad done, boss down first attempt but another enjoyable one.

The boss design in this is excellent throughout, some really hideous / amazing creatures. 

I fucking *hate* Raven Tengus though, I'd rather face any boss this far in the game than a couple of those in a row. That sub-mission in the bath house, the final room can fuck right off. I did it with no Elixer left & had to cheese him with fire DOT in the end. 

Can someone reply in spoilers with an indication of how far I am through the game please?

Panic is the main problem, they are pretty aggressive & I can't cope very well.

The giant tounge Yokai on the other hand are big softies; bait punch, dodge right, attack. 

Dual sword wielding samurai Yokai  is another matter again, I hate them too. 

Game is amazing still, can't quite believe how good it is.