IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

10 hours ago, Minion said:

There's so much I don't really understand at the moment like what happens when you fill up the bar of a weapon? What is gold for? Should I just offer all the dupe weapons and armours?

Dont worry that's tonnes to understand in this game, it just takes time.

The bar you fill up is a familiarity bar. It basically gives you a damage bonus the higher it is.

Once you get a bit further you will unlock the blacksmith. You use gold there

Yea, it's good to do maintanance on your stash by getting rid of things you don't need as you will be getting LOT more. If you offer it at a shrine you get Amrita, once the blacksmith is open you can sell it too.

10 hours ago, englishbob said:

At least a hundred goes so far. Hours and hours spent.

I struggle with avoiding the 5 pronged overhead ice attack fuck thing. But I have just re-read your comments and might as well try to block it rather than dodge it, because it hardly ever works

Blocking is super important in this game.

Your guard is perfect, in that you won't take any damage as long as you're blocking and have KI. It's okay to block thing as opposed to dodging.

Just now, dood said:

@Minion There's a 'help' button on the menus which explains everything btw.

As for whether you should sell stuff or not, etc - experiment and find out!  Isn't that part of what makes new game fun - the 'figuring it out' bit?

Indeed and there is so much to figure out! I'm still pretty jetlagged so finding the game rather confusing but very enjoyable.

9 hours ago, ph0rce said:

Mission after the Toad done, boss down first attempt but another enjoyable one.

The boss design in this is excellent throughout, some really hideous / amazing creatures. 

I fucking *hate* Raven Tengus though, I'd rather face any boss this far in the game than a couple of those in a row. That sub-mission in the bath house, the final room can fuck right off. I did it with no Elixer left & had to cheese him with fire DOT in the end. 

Can someone reply in spoilers with an indication of how far I am through the game please?

The main mission with the Orgress boss has a Raven Tengu right next to a shrine.

I kept deliberately dying here to re-play this fight, so I could understand it.

I was the same, I hated the fight but I think I have it down now.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Blocking is super important in this game.

Your guard is perfect, in that you won't take any damage as long as you're blocking and have KI. It's okay to block thing as opposed to dodging.

Blocking is the mindset I need to get a grips with here

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

Great news!

The game actually initially sold out in Japan, which is also good.

Yeah, I can see Sony publshing more titles like this. Bloodborne and Nioh have been a great success for them, both critically and commercially.

1 minute ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, I can see Sony publshing more titles like this. Bloodborne and Nioh have been a great success for them, both critically and commercially.

You actually playing the game, Vemsie?

I don't think I've seen you post any in-game action bantz.

3 minutes ago, Goemon said:

You actually playing the game, Vemsie?

I don't think I've seen you post any in-game action bantz.

Yeah, I'm playing it, but I'm taking my time. :)  Super busy with work and all that. Loving it though.

Just beat:

Spoiler

The spider lady

Grrr, I am really not feeling this like a From Software game. I am dying over and over to the bat lady, the movement and combat just feels flaky and restrictive to me, like I can't dodge far enough away if she does a certain lunging attack and she can stunlock me to high heaven but I can't do the same to her?

What am I missing here?

It's bullshit, my hits do nothing to her, they have no effect she just hits right through them.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Grrr, I am really not feeling this like a From Software game. I am dying over and over to the bat lady, the movement and combat just feels flaky and restrictive to me, like I can't dodge far enough away if she does a certain lunging attack and she can stunlock me to high heaven but I can't do the same to her?

What am I missing here?

It's bullshit, my hits do nothing to her, they have no effect she just hits right through them.

I'm not sure what you're missing TBH other than your timing is off.

All moves are avoidable, they're all telegraphed too so it's about learning the timing of the dodge. 

For Yokai enemies, their stunlock is different to human enemies. When a Yokai completely loses it's KI it loses it's ability to do certain moves, they don't (at least not all) lose their ability to attack. So you need to be mindful of this.

You need to investigate the combat more, it's a lot more solid than you think. For example did you know dodging an attack in high stance is a lot slower than when you're in low stance or that stance reflects how much damage you actually do?

If you go back through the thread you'll find numerous videos on the Hino-enma fight for reference

A lot of people used anti-paralysis armour and items to aid in this fight, so this is an option too.

I'll make it easier for you to find mine as I'll leave it here ;)

This feels ridiculously unfair, I dodge or block and I'm out of ki, I hit her once and whilst it damages her it does literally nothing to her attack pattern, at least in Dark Souls or Bloodborne you have the Parry/Riposte mechanic to cause massive damage, I've been at this for several hours now. Maybe It will click once I finally get her but it is starting to get very old. The game seems extremely samey as well, I'm only at the third mission but all the enemies have been so similar and the environments are drab and boring and very uninspired. It's just making me want to play through Dark Souls 3 again instead.

Edit: I resorted to summoning a helper and we got her, hoping the rest of the bosses aren't such bullshit.

Bad news; all the bosses are in that vein, which is exactly the same style as the Souls series. 

All of them have distinct patterns, and aside from a couple of unblockable / one hit kills, the rest if the attacks are avoidable. The game is quite big on audio queues, in addition to visual ones. 

I'd stick to a low stance if you are struggling, as the dodge is more responsive & the backdash covers more ground. Make sure your equipment weight is under 70% as well. 

It's easier than the Souls series as far as I'm concerned, although I'm sure it'll make me eat those words at some point. The Toad who I struggled on in the main mission, I absolutely destroyed in the subsequent side-mission. 

None of the bosses in DS are affected by you hitting them and will just start their attack straight through yours, so there's nothing different there. 

With regard to KI, it's similar to DS in that you can't wail indefinitely as you will run out of KI fast, same for blocking.

This game as an extra mechanic though with you being able to KI pulse. This allows you to gain KI back faster by pressing R1 at a specific time during KI recovery.

You can also get a skill which allows you to KI pulse, during dodge. This allows you up your KI faster while still getting the fcuk out of the way - pretty important to get this skill on ASAP IMO.

8 minutes ago, Goemon said:

None of the bosses in DS are affected by you hitting them and will just start their attack straight through yours, so there's nothing different there. 

With regard to KI, it's similar to DS in that you can't wail indefinitely as you will run out of KI fast, same for blocking.

This game as an extra mechanic though with you being able to KI pulse. This allows you to gain KI back faster by pressing R1 at a specific time during KI recovery.

You can also get a skill which allows you to KI pulse, during dodge. This allows you up your KI faster while still getting the fcuk out of the way - pretty important to get this skill on ASAP IMO.

Yeah I just got that skill actually, the ki pulse I had down but with bat lady if I did a KI pulse I got an attack to the face! As for DS bosses you can stunlock them and you can parry most of them too, I shouldn't compare as they've completely different games I just went into this thinking they were similar but the combat seems very different to me.

Is there any way to travel between shrines?

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

THANK GOD FOR THAT! You won't believe how many times I've walked that route from the shrine to the boss :seanr: Spear. medium poise, about the only way I could keep my distance and get some hits in. I was still struggling to avoid that 5 ice overhead attack fuck

Great fight, but just one thing I noticed - you're holding X and running all the time. That drains your Ki loads, and you rarely had any left for more than one or two meaty hits. I'm near the end of the game, and (so far!) there's been absolutely no need to run in any boss battle. Save that stamina for when you need it.

5 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Great fight, but just one thing I noticed - you're holding X and running all the time. That drains your Ki loads, and you rarely had any left for more than one or two meaty hits. I'm near the end of the game, and (so far!) there's been absolutely no need to run in any boss battle. Save that stamina for when you need it.

I was running a lot yeah, kept moving. There was only ever a window to get about 2 hits in before I was exposed to a hit by her

2 hours ago, Minion said:

This feels ridiculously unfair, I dodge or block and I'm out of ki, I hit her once and whilst it damages her it does literally nothing to her attack pattern, at least in Dark Souls or Bloodborne you have the Parry/Riposte mechanic to cause massive damage, I've been at this for several hours now. Maybe It will click once I finally get her but it is starting to get very old. The game seems extremely samey as well, I'm only at the third mission but all the enemies have been so similar and the environments are drab and boring and very uninspired. It's just making me want to play through Dark Souls 3 again instead.

Edit: I resorted to summoning a helper and we got her, hoping the rest of the bosses aren't such bullshit.

The stuns and knock downs are savage in this game. Almost around 5 seconds to get back moving again. But which time its a one-two hit insta-kill. 

I remember Ninja Gaiden being like this though, rather than Dark Souls

Was just about to go to bed after making it to the  

Spoiler

Centipede

boss. Thought I'd cash in and get some healing elixirs and knock off as couldnt face trying to sleep having been hyped up and raging at the boss. Against judgement I took him on and did him in one go :)

15 hours ago, englishbob said:

The stuns and knock downs are savage in this game. Almost around 5 seconds to get back moving again. But which time its a one-two hit insta-kill. 

I remember Ninja Gaiden being like this though, rather than Dark Souls

I'm sure, somewhere, I've seen either stat buffs or skills which allow faster recovery when out of KI. Possibly on armour...