IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

What a 48 hours I've just had with this game.

Fucking hell mate. I am obssessed with it. Hopeless. Completely addicted.

Did the centipede, sword guy hayfield rematch (WHAT A FIGHT), UMIBOZU, and spider woman bosses in one marathon weekend sitting. The umibozu level is probably my favourite so far, going off the beaten path and finding a level within a level, across the sprawling rooftops and back around, every little nook and cranny has something to find or a cool fight. Opened Umibozu up like a fucking box of cereal after a few tries. Epic fight.

Some really gnarly yokai coming out of the woodwork now too. The licky bastards and the feathery bastards spring to mind. Some sub missions feel insurmountable at this stage. But the more you practice, the better you get, and as some have mentioned, you end up actually enjoying the fights you once dreaded. That's the mark of an absolutely exceptional combat system imo. Case in point: the floaty fabric tossing ghost women, one sub mission had my blood boiling she was so hard, but now I can beat them without getting it, and genuinely relish the encounters with them.

On a beautiful snow level at the mo. Boss kicked me in the dick so called it a night.

Fuckkkkkkk this game is so good. So good. I laid in bed thinking god I just want to get back up and play more.

2 hours ago, Goemon said:

Got Toady with a perfect. Chuffed with that.

Took a while to figure a few things out, and got lucky a couple of times, but great fight non the less. Might be interesting for some is that I use the axe for the full fight, which I don't think many people use.

I started out using magic buffs but in the end figured I wanted to take him with raw melee. 

Spoilered end for those that haven't seen him yet.

Reveal hidden contents

I chanced across the toad last night. Is the route between the shrine and the boss door as tedious as I think it is going to be.

I must admit in the level the

revolving doors

was a neat trick, but it completely got overused and became confusing

Tip for this...

You can actually use your dash/dodge to go through the paper doors, you don't have to attack them. 

Makes the run slightly faster. 

Also, I just avoided the ninja. He always busts through the first paper door when you get there. Use this time to just run/dodge past him.

This run is slightly more awkward in that you have to stop a couple of times to go through switching walls. It's not bad though, still won't be more than 30s.

Negativity setting in now, going to give this a miss for a while, go off and play some music or something in my free time. I'm getting fed up with its idiosyncrasies.

The runs to the bosses seem to be getting longer and more ridiculous as you progress...

SHOOT FOR THE WALL

The classic 1-2-3-4-FUCK YOU BOSS COMBO that you can't break out of, even when you have enough Ki. Each boss has this. Some windows of opportunity to dodge and re-heal are frame counters dreams

tbf, for everyone complaining about runs to the bosses, i've found a shortcut cunningly hidden out of the way. i don't think i've been on a single boss where the run was longer than ten seconds. but maybe later bosses are worse.

arrow wise, you always know if an arrow will connect when the reticule changes colour. it requires some awkward positioning sometimes but i've not found it a problem. watch for the reticule to change. i think anyway.

i guess the key (ki, buh dum tish) to avoiding getting stun locked to fuckery is to know the tells and dodge accordingly. the game makes it pretty clear that if you dawdle around, you will get certifiably rekt.

not trying to be a cunt just giving my two cents and defending the game. fair play if it's not for you though.

I reckon I'm at least 75% of the way through, and there hasn't been a single shitty boss run back IMO.

Every single death is either your own fault, or the game teaching you something.

All of the cheap deaths; ambushes, one shot boss kills, etc  can be avoided on subsequent attempts. 

You're right to step away though if you are getting frustrated, it has absolutely done that to me several times. But the game is not to blame, it's incredibly well balanced & is fair, in its own, brutal way. 

Story mode complete. Stunning game. I'll be returning to this time and time again, the combat is so satisfying.

Looking forward to NG+ and the DLC. Can't believe this wasn't on my radar until the Last Chance Trial. What a gaming year 2017 is shaping up to be. 

Defiled Mountain & Samurai From S...... missions down tonight. 

Samurai boss went down first time, got to love any axe wielding enemy, so slow & telegraphed. 

Got a sweet blue Wind Kusarigama a couple of missions back & then an even sweeter blue Earth one in the last mission.

Rolled a couple of stats to be low-centric so it's even more beastly, coupled with two Earth Attack accessories for an extra 20% damage is just :wub:.

Spent last night fighting the snow queen. MATE. What a fight. Took nearly two hours to take her down.

That fight makes you really know the importance of blocking. With the right armour set you can soak up most of her attacks. That dashing stab move though, fuck. Keep your distance that's all I can say. Then get in for a jab and get back. Amazing fight.

Anyway she's dead and now I can concentrate on never ever wanting Nioh to end.

21 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Spent last night fighting the snow queen. MATE. What a fight. Took nearly two hours to take her down.

That fight makes you really know the importance of blocking. With the right armour set you can soak up most of her attacks. That dashing stab move though, fuck. Keep your distance that's all I can say. Then get in for a jab and get back. Amazing fight.

Anyway she's dead and now I can concentrate on never ever wanting Nioh to end.

What really works well against her is to

Spoiler

keep a distance, bait some easily evadable attacks and let rip with your canon. I took half her bar away in less than a minute this way. :)

Defeated the 

White Tiger

yesterday, How many regions are there?

12 hours ago, Minion said:

Oh man this game does rule.

Ohashi Bridge Fight - I shouldn't have healed it made me feel dirty, in fact I went back and did it again without healing:

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, that was a great fight! 

I've not had that much luck using the parry and normally eat a face full of metal. Will go back and try so more. 

Is it possible to parry everything? Boss attacks?

Quite surprised at how big this game is.

Was aiming to have it finished in time for Zeldas release, but having had a sneak peak at the total number of missions that's now looking incredibly unlikely. 

19 main missions by the looks of it!

Dont suppose it's helping that I'm insisting on doing each side mission as soon as it becomes available too.

I know the mission based structure has been criticised by some but for me it makes it much more approachable and allows it to be tackled in bite-sized chunks (which really suits the limited game time I have).

6 minutes ago, U-1 said:

Quite surprised at how big this game is.

Was aiming to have it finished in time for Zeldas release, but having had a sneak peak at the total number of missions that's now looking incredibly unlikely. 

Reveal hidden contents

19 main missions by the looks of it!

Dont suppose it's helping that I'm insisting on doing each side mission as soon as it becomes available too.

I know the mission based structure has been criticised by some but for me it makes it much more approachable and allows it to be tackled in bite-sized chunks (which really suits the limited game time I have).

I'm in the same boat. I hope to finish the main missions at least, then do all the remaining stuff after Zelda.

6 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I'm in the same boat. I hope to finish the main missions at least, then do all the remaining stuff after Zelda.

Frustrating isn't it?

I really don't want to rush through this as I'm enjoying it immensely.. but likewise I won't be able to resist Zelda as soon as it arrives and fear what limited skills I've developed on Nioh will soon disappear if I don't keep at it!

First world problems! :(

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Wow, that was a great fight! 

I've not had that much luck using the parry and normally eat a face full of metal. Will go back and try so more. 

Is it possible to parry everything? Boss attacks?

I haven't tried boss parries yet as last boss was Umi but I would have thought weapon attacks are parry-able. I'll have to try! I'm a light armour user so blocking kills all my ki so parrying seems to be better for my build. 

20 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

You can block the remaining hits after getting hit by the first of those.

How? I've tried blocking after first hits from bosses like that, it doesn't work. Unless there is more to it than pressing L1?

I'm on the frog right now and the tactic isn't working if I take a first hit

So how is everyone managing their specific weapon skills upgrades? I have concentrated solely on the sword skill with a little bit of spear, I feel I would need to do another play through to fully master other weapons or is the game that long that you can master 2 weapons and unlock most of the skills for both? TBH the thought of further playthroughs concentrating on other weapons is appealing to me right now.

My initial annoyance and negativity with the game has gone now, I was being a stupid tired jetlagged idiot and judging my early scrub build as the depth of the game but I see now how deep and involved this game is, it's f'ing brilliant I love it. I still think Bat Lady is a but much for an early boss, she's so aggressive and hardcore, I'll see if she is easier on a second playthrough. Got my eye on Yakuza 0 though as the thread for that game is unbelievably positive. So many games at the moment, it's almost like Christmas!

On the weekend I faced off against (area 6 spoilers)

Spoiler

Mitsunari Ishida

and it was absolutely my favourite boss fight so far. I managed to do it on my first go but had run out of elixirs and my living weapon had been eaten up whole by getting caught in one of his insane grab moves just after activating it.

Such an epic ballet performance of dodging, blocking, ki pulses, forward dashes and baiting, on both sides. Just... haven't played anything quite like it before. Lady Maria I guess, but even she seems slow and terminator-like in comparison.

I wish I'd saved the video to share but I think I was having some kind of religious experience, mouth ever so slightly agape.

2 hours ago, Minion said:

So how is everyone managing their specific weapon skills upgrades? I have concentrated solely on the sword skill with a little bit of spear, I feel I would need to do another play through to fully master other weapons or is the game that long that you can master 2 weapons and unlock most of the skills for both? TBH the thought of further playthroughs concentrating on other weapons is appealing to me right now.

My initial annoyance and negativity with the game has gone now, I was being a stupid tired jetlagged idiot and judging my early scrub build as the depth of the game but I see now how deep and involved this game is, it's f'ing brilliant I love it. I still think Bat Lady is a but much for an early boss, she's so aggressive and hardcore, I'll see if she is easier on a second playthrough. Got my eye on Yakuza 0 though as the thread for that game is unbelievably positive. So many games at the moment, it's almost like Christmas!

Like Goemon, I've gone for an agile axe build with sword as my secondary, alongside Ii's Red Demon armour. It's unconventional but it bloody well works. Unlocked the mystic arts for both axe and sword, although haven't touched dual swords or kusarigama yet, despite loving them both in the Last Chance demo. I have just found a nami-oyogi kanemitsu that has has a bonus heart scaling of A+ though... might have to work on my iaido. ^_^