IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

I'm still well into this, just started the 5th region having gone back and cleared all available side missions.

Currently level 90 after about 70hrs and only now started to pick a different Spirit Guardian. The twin dogs seem to match my play style. :)

1 minute ago, Minion said:

I'm still playing though I've just finished the third area and feel it's getting rather repetitive possibly because there's too much content and I can't leave an area without doing all the side missions because OCD. It's still fun but rather tiring fighting the same Yokai enemies over and over again and playing the same maps

Aye the one complaint I have is that once you've hit region four, you've basically seen all the enemy types of 'small' Yokai.

And I'm finding the later missions don't quite have the same quality of level design.

4 minutes ago, Minion said:

So I got the Red Oni's hat and spear which are ace but how do I get the whole set and keep them at my respectable level?

You might be able to forge them at the blacksmith but I think you'll have to get the other pieces from a drop before you can do that, or acquire the Smithing text (usually from a side missions).

You'll be able to forge the hat and spear to your current level or thereabouts but if you're set on the perks you've got you can Soul Match your current equipment at the cost of another higher level piece gear you've got. This will boost the level but gets ridiculously expensive on the same item.

13 minutes ago, Janski said:

You might be able to forge them at the blacksmith but I think you'll have to get the other pieces from a drop before you can do that, or acquire the Smithing text (usually from a side missions).

You'll be able to forge the hat and spear to your current level or thereabouts but if you're set on the perks you've got you can Soul Match your current equipment at the cost of another higher level piece gear you've got. This will boost the level but gets ridiculously expensive on the same item.

Can't seem to forge even the bits I have so I guess I need the text which a search tells me I have to beat him again and again and hope for the drop, he was pretty fucking hard, took me many many attempts so I think I'll leave it for now but damn I want that armour set it's perfect for my light armour dude.

On a boss now called Saika Magoichi, a bloke bird type thing. I can't decide if he is a hard boss, or just the fact that the camera is more my enemy as lock-on is constantly lost during the fight.

Oh, and the room is on fire as well.

The route from shrine to boss on this occasion (after a few good ones) is back to fucking tedious again too. In Team Ninja's mandate to copy Souls games heavily, they forgot to ignore the very things surely everyone hated in the originals. Unless you are some sort of sadist.

12 hours ago, MikeF said:

Haven't really got into forging or soul matching yet, is there a guide on how it all works anywhere

Forging will allow you to make weapons/armour. Depending on the materials you use it gives a percentage chance of how rare the item will be (shown at the top of the screen)

Soul matching allows you to level up your weapons/armour. You select an item you're currently using, select a high leveled item and soul match. This is good if you have a bit of kit you're particularly fond of and don't have anything in the higher levels that you like. This can get VERY expensive though if you soul match to too higher level.

This beginners guide video has some good tips and a whole section about the Blacksmith

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

On a boss now called Saika Magoichi, a bloke bird type thing. I can't decide if he is a hard boss, or just the fact that the camera is more my enemy as lock-on is constantly lost during the fight.

Oh, and the room is on fire as well.

The route from shrine to boss on this occasion (after a few good ones) is back to fucking tedious again too. In Team Ninja's mandate to copy Souls games heavily, they forgot to ignore the very things surely everyone hated in the originals. Unless you are some sort of sadist.

I don't remember the run being that bad...Do you have the side door open? Facing the shrine, it's right and up the walkway, this makes the run a lot more painless.

Think I’m coming to the end of the main quest now.

Just did a pretty tough main mission: The Samurai from Sawayama

Really maze like! Hidden paths, pit falls to caves below, doors requiring a key, also extended by the fact that I was Kodama hunting. Took me ages as I got lost a few times!

Was a great boss fight at the end too. Highlighted by @Minion's fight on the bridge in an earlier region, this boss was fairly similar so I went with the full on parry exhibition route.

Got the parry timing down on one of his moves after a few goes. This instantly stuns him, followed up by a charged ee-eye and then down strike! The guy was toast fairly swiftly.

Was a super enjoyable fight though. Would like to play it again and perfect it. Will upload a video of the fight later on.

I’d like to go back and revisit some things using the parry. In a game that’s super dangerous, I chose to ignore it as too risky but the way I wrecked this guy would like to try and few more fights out.

4 hours ago, Goemon said:

I don't remember the run being that bad...Do you have the side door open? Facing the shrine, it's right and up the walkway, this makes the run a lot more painless.

This way...tried for the last hour to beat the boss, of which at least 20+ minutes of that time was travelling to him

It’s the same camera that’s been used for the rest of the game. :)

The annoyance is the fact that as soon as he disappears you lose your lock on and he will spawn behind you. This is a MASSIVE disorientation move, nothing more. You have to learn to adapt as best you can to deal with it.

As mentioned he will (nearly always) spawn just behind you, so one technique I found really useful was back dashing as soon as he disappears. 1-2 backdashes will put him back in sight pretty quickly. You have to be mindful though that you HAVE TO re-lock on at this point otherwise you’re liable to lose him again in the action. You also have to be mindful of your position in the room, you don’t wanna be back dashing INTO the fire.

It’s generally better to be in low stance at this point as your back dashes are quick and short.

You also need to be listening for his air grab move. It’s telegraphed with a loud grunt, but you need to be aware that as soon as you hear that - you need to be dodging.

Also, don’t be afraid to block his attacks. Bombs, bullets, charged dash attack, they can all be blocked if you’re unsure. You just need to be ready to stand off if you’ve just taken a big block string.

I didn’t go that route to the boss you took. However every other video I’ve watched goes the route you go.

I went in the side door right next to the shrine and in through the main entrance, I think it’s quicker but you have to run past a Yokai, which makes it a bit more dangerous.

I respecced into a spear build after maining sword and axe for the entire game - why didn't anyone tell me the spear was so good? Unbelievable range which makes farming revenants a breeze, and some amazing combos in low stance switching to medium.

Managed to do the infamous N+Y submission this evening too, fair and square! ^_^ Was an amazingly tense ten minutes.

Does anyone know any good tips for getting 60 requests at the blacksmith? I'm only at 30 at the moment and it's taking forever.

Just finished the Toad boss off, last 2 bosses have gone down on the first try.

Cleaned up all the sub missions in the third region and have now moved onto region 4

Thinking about respeccing myself

Need to play around with the kurisagama as it looks like it has potential, just wish there was a training grounds to try new weapons out.  May have to go and replay some of the earlier missions to try it out

After like 80 hours I've just watched the credits roll.

Although it seems this isn't the end, with 3 sub missions and 1 main mission opening up. :facepalm:

Still feel like there's so much to learn and do with this game, and at any other time this would be immense! But I have a niggling pile of unplayed games sitting staring at me, which is only getting worse.

I don't want to stop playing this game but I really need to move on. 

I'm out

The Saika Magoichi boss has broken me, at least 100+ attempts now, of which 40 seconds every time to get back to the boss. Meh. Neir Automata turns up hopefully tomorrow so I will plough my limited gaming time into more productively.

The boss that broke me, I don't believe is impossible, it's a combo of 3 factors (a) he is a fairly hard boss with Street Fighter levels of frame counting where you can launch an attack, block, or regain health in a very small window of opportunity (b) spending 40 seconds getting back for another go and (c) environment hate, whereby any really difficult boss fight is made even harder by a fall off a cliff, drowning, or in this case catching fire, when you perform the wrong roll or dodge at the wrong point 

It will be interesting to read other opinions on this boss when some of you reach it.

6 hours ago, englishbob said:

I'm out

The Saika Magoichi boss has broken me, at least 100+ attempts now, of which 40 seconds every time to get back to the boss. Meh. Neir Automata turns up hopefully tomorrow so I will plough my limited gaming time into more productively.

The boss that broke me, I don't believe is impossible, it's a combo of 3 factors (a) he is a fairly hard boss with Street Fighter levels of frame counting where you can launch an attack, block, or regain health in a very small window of opportunity (b) spending 40 seconds getting back for another go and (c) environment hate, whereby any really difficult boss fight is made even harder by a fall off a cliff, drowning, or in this case catching fire, when you perform the wrong roll or dodge at the wrong point 

It will be interesting to read other opinions on this boss when some of you reach it.

I think locking on can be a disadvantage in that fight - basically when he's in the air you want to be in motion so he can't hit/suplex you - running straight underneath him is fine - and you want to be coming behind him as he lands. If you've get the spear sweep move (block and square, I think?) you can time it to trip him as he lands and he's pretty straightforward like that. Also: summon! I've helped several people with him (obviously a higher level summonee makes him miles easier). And sloth talismen help with *everything*

XLHGladiator has put up another video which showcases pretty much what I described earlier in the thread.

Using a mix of all tools the guy is able to fight like the Ki system doesn't exist.

Not only is he using all the tools to maintain Ki and relentlessly attack but he knows all the enemy attack patterns and dances around them like they're standing still.

Loved the kill at the 3:50 mark!

Magoichi wasn't that tough, you can bait the ranged weapon attack to punish him & once he teleports, just run, preferably in the opposite direction until he lands, then close the distance & bait again. 

All the human bosses in the game are straightforward, compared to the demons. 

14 hours ago, Curtis said:

@Goemon - You really need to subscribe to Miduki on Youtube.

He (she?) has done a full set of NG+ flawless boss encounters. So classy with the Katana. :wub: 

Nice! Subscribed!

When you watch videos like this you realise how Ninja Gaiden esque the game can actually be. It really shows how clever and diverse the combat is with the ways you can play it.

Finally beat N&Y this morning. Super tough battle, probably took me about 4 hours in the end.

I did manage to beat N fairly early on and then fcuked up Y on her own, which I was kicking myself for as it was a LONG time before I got the chance again.

Still got the other double boss sub-mission and the final mission to go before I'll likely draw a line in it. Still loads for me to do; Twilight Missions, other weapons, way of the strong but all that will have to wait until I can start to clear some of my backlog.

Theres the whole DLC around the corner too!

Just beat Saika Magoichi, I see what people mean about this boss, he was a bit of a pain in the ass.

This game just keep so getting better and better

My PS4 backlog is increasing because of this, got Nier, Horizon Dawn, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank and The Last Guardian waiting in the wings.  They are just not getting a look in at the moment because of Nioh, and the DLC will soon be with us

So new Zelda, new Nintendo console, and I still ended up playing this for most of the weekend. I can't pull myself away from it.

Made some serious progress lads.

Fuck where to even begin. Ogled up the Ogress, put Honda into neutral, made katsu out of Okatsu, murked Magoichi, opened up Otani, shat all over Shima Sakon, gave Gasha-dokuro some...gashes, and I also beat Ishida Mitsunari in a fair and balanced fight. Oh shit and I beat my rematches with Hino-enma and Fatty fatty toad boy too. Hino was MUCH tougher second time round, but I licked toady boy first time. Toad is probably my favourite boss so far in terms of fun.

Anyway. Shima Sakon and Mitsunari are probably the toughest fights so far. Onwards. I have to be near the end now.

I'm farming revenants too atm, and exchanging glory for sick items at the teahouse!

OH SHIT and those raven bastards. Once you get their pattern down they go down so easy. Still goty