IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

Dragon of the North spoilers:

Spoiler

Maria down, which unlocks a handful of new submissions to complete. That fight was tough; her counters were a tad overpowered and when she uses the amrita she gains super armour and doesn't flinch. Had to cheese her a little bit and treat her to a taste of her own medicine by using shards to boost my living weapon meter mid-fight, but whatever, it worked.

This is a great little package, and is exactly how DLC should be done IMO. Cheap price, whole new levels, enemies and bosses, a new weapon type with skill tree and lots of meaty submissions. Satisfying.

Yea one of the final side missions is a dual boss fight, which isn't too bad as they go.

Took me an age to figure out who the big guy was! ><

Wad a great DLC, couple more like this and I'll be happy.

• 1 month later...

Thread title needs an update because the second DLC dropped today.

The first mission is an absolute nightmare and contains environmental danger with a risk of insta-death pretty much non-stop. Gonna need the patience of a saint to get through this with pad intact.

On a cheerier note: they've added Tonfas, and they look ace! Some even have gun-type combo finishers. 8-)

22 hours ago, Curtis said:

Thread title needs an update because the second DLC dropped today.

The first mission is an absolute nightmare and contains environmental danger with a risk of insta-death pretty much non-stop. Gonna need the patience of a saint to get through this with pad intact.

On a cheerier note: they've added Tonfas, and they look ace! Some even have gun-type combo finishers. 8-)

God, you weren't joking. The first level is infuriating. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some advice, please.

I bought this on the understanding that it had Souls combat. But while the structure of the game is Souls through and through, the combat feels very different. It feels more like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden, both of which I hate. Is this a fair assessment or am I missing something that slows the combat down? I've tried to fight a few revenants that have been using low stances and it's all rapidfire slashy mashy nonsense.

I don't think I've managed to pull off a single parry yet either. I'm tapping L1 when an enemy swipe is about to hit me. Is this wrong?

Oh, and the game keeps encouraging me to use Ki pulse, but whenever I do it, it leaves me extremely vulnerable to a counter attack. I've actually died a few times because I've pressed R1 to Ki pulse when I could have just dodged and let my Ki regen naturally instead. What's the point?

You've been slightly misinformed. This doesn't have souls combat...But then it doesn't have DMC or NG combat either. It really is its own beast IMO. It's definitely faster than souls.

Ki pulse is SUPER important, and some times a decision has to be made; do you Ki pulse or do you dodge?

Ki  pulse is important as it allows you to regain Ki faster than letting it build back up naturally. Ki maintanance is very important in this game.

One important Skill to buy ASAP is Ki pulse on dodge. This gives you an automatic Ki pulse when you dodge. Note this skill is specific to weapon and stance (from what I remember).

Low stance has faster moves but they do less damage so will take you 10 hits to kill an enemy rather than 3.

You need to learn to mix up your stances so you can get your damage from high stance when a chance arises and use low stance attacks if you know you can counter hit or you only have a split second to attack.

further to this low stance has the fastest dodge with the most i-frames and uses the least Ki so even after attacking in high stance it's good to stance switch and dodge with low stance.

Don't rely on parrying too much. Not every move can be parried and requires some trial and error.

55 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Trufax: I have over 200 hours in this game and NEVER choose/use Ki Dodge. I know. Mental.

@ann coulter - Watch some of the videos from Miduki whom i consider one of the best at this game because he/she doesn't try to break it to their advantage - its pure skill:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyd0egUsy3eRx99YtJwqeg

Thanks, I'll check out the channel.

Combat aside, I'm not enjoying being in the game world very much so far. None of the environments have really grabbed me. I was looking forward to getting out of the drab harbour village area to somewhere more open and vibrant and instead got dumped in an underground network of grey caves. I haven't found any NPCs or merchants yet either, which I think is partly why the game seems to lack a little character. It ticks so many boxes on paper but hasn't come anywhere near to FromSoftware quality for me yet.

I'm struggling even to defeat one of those walls with the eyes in the caves. I've tried high and low stances with my dual swords but there don't seem to be any i-frames to dodge through its attacks. I guess I should give mid stance defence a try but, again, this is reminding me so much more of Devil May Cry 3 and long, grindy, twitchy battles against enemies with tediously high HP.

Yea, the walls aren't easy. They hide access to areas that give you an advantage or shortcut way around the map. As mentioned, you can try communicating with them :)

Also, and this sounds crazy, it's very important to learn to block.

Blocking is actually a very viable option in this game, you don't have to dodge everything all the time. Block is perfect, in that you won't take any damage for blocking, only Ki damage.

If you have difficulty dodging an attack, trying blocking it. This is another reason Ki pulse is important, the pulse could be the difference between successfully blocking an attack or the attack blowing your guard because your Ki ran out.

i have some bad news regarding the environments...you won't ever get to a point where you're in beautiful landscapes with sprawling vistas. That is something this game definitely doesn't do.

10 hours ago, Curtis said:

Trufax: I have over 200 hours in this game and NEVER choose/use Ki Dodge. I know. Mental.

@ann coulter - Watch some of the videos from Miduki whom i consider one of the best at this game because he/she doesn't try to break it to their advantage - its pure skill:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyd0egUsy3eRx99YtJwqeg

You know Ki dodge is automatic, right?

As in if you buy the skill whenever you dodge you get Ki pulse for free, you don't actually have to do anything.

Playing without this Skill is crazy man's talk IMO.

Of course i know its automatic, but when i first tried it and starting getting perfect pulse dodges, i completely forgot about the R1 method. Plus the constant wiggling about was too much for my old eyes, so i reverted back to attack/pause/pulse/block or evade/attack again and it felt much more natural to me. I understand you're supposed to use both methods but i was missing so many perfect pulses it was bothering me, so i simplified matters. 

As with all these games; there is no right/wrong way to play them.

I gave this another try today. Got to the boss in the caves after a very boring slog through the tunnels. The atmosphere is completely flat - I feel no sense of wonder or fear or excitement or ... anything, really, as an explorer in this world. Combat is still bemusing to me, and when I open up the upgrade menu or visit the blacksmith to try to bolster my abilities somehow, I end up scrolling through the menus, liking the sound of absolutely nothing, and going back to the mission again without upgrading anything.

I gave the cave boss three tries and she wiped me in about five seconds each time. But nothing about the game is making me want to put in the effort to learn the strongest aspect of it which I presume is the combat. There is way too much clutter on screen with endless shiny loot to pick up, text constantly scrolling up the screen, and bloody graves littering the ground sometimes mere footsteps apart. It spreads this unbelievably annoying ugly mesh across the screen whenever the camera goes behind/through an object that at first made me think there was something wrong with my TV or PS4.

I bought the game digitally on the back of the huge praise for it and the comparisons to Souls, so I'm stuck with it, but I can't figure out how to get enjoyment out of it.

39 minutes ago, Curtis said:

In Options/Online Settings: Set a Password/Secret Word. Then, once you enter a level, go to the Shrine and choose Summon Visitor.

Genuinely appreciate the coop help, man. Unfortunately even coop can't save what is fundamentally a mediocre game.

• 1 month later...