IGNORED

Nioh - Feudal Souls

MW_Jimmy

Pre-order is down to £28 at CDkeys.. Pretty tempting. I'm crap at pre-ordering PC games though. The price either drops lower before the thing is even out or the port ends up being terrible.. And I gather Koei Tecmo have a fair bit of form for the latter.

Surely even in the worst-case scenario it's going to be better than playing on the base PS4 though?

I was having a blast with this - bought it on PSN for less than 30 quid - until I had to fight that level 45 big agile cunt on the bridge. Every (twilight) level and boss so far have been interesting and a great learning school. Heck, I can even appreciate those Tengu pricks and those are anything but fun. This cunt however is noting but cheap. Overhead attacks that still hit me when I do a late-but-not-too-late 270 degrees dodge around the boss, let that sink in. The fight takes surprisingly long - handful of minutes at least - and dying because of the aforementioned nonsense makes for a frustrating death. I died not because I messed up, I died because of cheap nonsense.

5 hours ago, Goemon said:

If you’re struggling to dodge an attack, block it.

Also, think about just being completely out of range when this attack is coming. You don’t have to sit on top of him all the time.

Pokey pokey with the spear it is then. Such a shame.

Also, I do not think have enough Ki to safely block that attack.

19 hours ago, df0 said:

Pokey pokey with the spear it is then. Such a shame.

Also, I do not think have enough Ki to safely block that attack.

You can do it like that if you want, that’s the beauty of the game.

As your skill and understanding of the game grows you’ll start pushing things.

Im pretty sure @Minion has a video where he parries the shit out of that guy and wipes him out pretty swiftly.

As for not having enough Ki to block something, first thing you need to test is how much that move takes with full Ki. After that you can figure out how much Ki you can afford to have and still survive the attack.

I fought multiple bosses where there were moves I really struggled to dodge so chose to block them instead.

If it does blow the whole lot then it’s safe to say to just need to GTFO of the way, so back right off.

FYI when dodging your stance affects the speed, distance and iframes of your dodge. It’s better to learn to dodge in low stance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Block the ice shots if you’re struggling to dodge them.

It’s possible to dodge the initial shots by just running (sprinting) left or right when you see them appear but as fight progresses they get harder to dodge, so it’s definitely safer to just block.

• 4 weeks later...

Just over 40 hours deep into this and loving every second of it.  I honestly never realised it was so heavily loot based, oh sweet sweet loot how I love thee, especially when I offer a whole load of trash for that lovely amrita. :hat:

011SyFZ.gif

A very under appreciated part of the game IMO.

A lot of people moan about all the loot and the pointlessness of 90% of it but to me it’s an intergal part of the experience.

I can easily enjoy spending 20 mins on loot maintenance at the end of mission just dissecting what each one should be used for, even if the majority are junkers. Even a junker is moving you towards the goal of another level or purchase/upgrade from the blacksmith.

Love that gif! Although I’m not sure about the times...10 hours to be proficient!? More like 110!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna go on the record and say: Nioh > Torii Gate > Yokai Realm with Companion is the best co-op matchmaking i've come across in any game of any genre. Regardless of what hour i'm playing, it will always find a game within 20-30 seconds. And that is no exaggeration!

It's amazing!

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Just got to Masamune Date. Oof. Even with NG+ gear he's a bit of a dick. How you dodge the 'cover the floor with hurty water' attack I don't know. 

The way I did it, when he powers up with Water back right off and focus on dodging.

There is enough room in the arena for you to draw him completely away from the floor whirlpools, you CERTAINLY don’t want to be dealing with him and them at the same time. If he comes over and drops more back right off somewhere else. They disperse eventually

At max distance he starts firing shots at you, you have to get versed at dodging these as they’re not blockable. There are patterns for them though, so you need to learn them.

Keep an eye on his stamina as these shots/whirlpools drain it. When it’s super low, look to get an attack in that will instantly knock him into a recovery state. This is your best opportunity to do (visceral) damage.

Now that I think about it, when his bar is drained, try throwing a Kunai at him….You just need 1 hit as he literally drains himself to no stamina

You have to be quick as once his bar is drained he will back off and power himself up with Wind, so you don’t get long.

I really enjoyed this fight but it’s tough. Once he’s at half bar he constantly switches between Wind and Water so there’s no rest-bite until you take him out.

Finished the main story on New Game with 80 hours or so on the clock and I've got soooooo much more to do. The DLC, sub missions (well mostly the 6th region sub missions), the Abyss, new difficulties etc. I feel quite underlevelled at the minute though so might concentrate on doing some coop for a while to bump those levels up, get some nice loot and help some fine folks out.

Amazing game, one of my favourites from last years releases - Only ones I like more are Yakuza 0 and Kiwami and that's simply because I'm a Yakuza fanboy.

Yep easily my fave game of 2017. Amazing combat and genuinely does something new with the whole Dark Souls thing. Currently half way through way of the strong and the DLC. Haven't completed those post end game sub missions mind cos yeah hard. Even with full divine gear. 

• 1 month later...

I've recently started playing this, and I'm struggling a bit with the loot and crafting systems.

Is it best to rely on soul forge to bring your preferred equipment up to the level of enemy drops, or should I just be crafting new pieces of armour periodically to replace what I'm wearing? The latter seems much cheaper than soul forging, as far as I can tell.

Thus far I've basically ignored the blacksmith entirely and just relied on dropped loot, as I haven't felt like reading a guide to learn what all the options are.

Also, do I access the DLC during the main story? I'm at the resurrected castle area (with the repeated boss fights) - I don't know if I should have started on it already, as I get the feeling I'm nearing the end of the main chapters.

For the first playthrough I entirely relied on dropped loot for gear. Until I got a full set of Red Demon Armour which I kept up to dateish. 

Once you start getting green sets and weapons then soul forge becomes important and you'll simply sell loot. 

Crafting I'm still not sure about as I always get crap weapons. 

I do reforge quite a bit though. 

In terms of DLC you have to finish a certain boss fight to access it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Played some of this earlier. Random co-op is still the best - from loading my save to being in someone else's game-world was 30 seconds at most.

It's been a while and i was so lost and rather rusty. lol! Still cleared the missions, but i felt the need to apologise via PSN for running around trying to get my bearings. One poor sap i was with simply wouldn't pay attention to my whistles as i tried to show him the safe/cheese spot for Nue. It worked out okay.

All good until i joined an extended Lv.180 mission, which by the end, my eyes were actually watering from pure concentration. I decided to boot up Bloodborne to relax. :lol:

I'm currently going through Defiant Honour DLC and fuck me is it a step up. The ninja boss is kicking my ass hard can barely get any hits in.

The arrow bit was interesting as well...

One thing this does amazingly well is the feeling of accomplishment. You spend so much time in a state of hyper concentration because even the most piddly enemy can easily kill you so when you finish a level I'm always elated. Or worn out. 

I was very much into this up to the point where I realized difficulty increase generally meant more enemies to fight. Instead of spicing things up with new designs it became just more of the same. Now you fight 1 big guy and 2 fast ninjas. Next you fight 2 big guys, 1 ninja and 2 floating heads.

I gave up and never returned.