IGNORED

Ghost - IMPERA - Grabs you by the Hoo-haa

Mike1812

Last time I saw them they were still playing much smaller venues. I know he wants Ghost to be a stadium band and now they're playing these large arenas, but I'm not just not sure that's the right setting for them, so I'm really struggling with the idea of getting a ticket, which seems mad cause I love them so much. Anyone seen them when they were supporting Metallica? Impressions?

They were good supporting Metallica at Twickenham, but was in the daylight on a whacking great stage designed for Metallica so that didn't help

Wembley Arena recently they were good as well, but definitely felt spacious on the floor. I've gone for seating tickets this time round at the o2, I think there will be empty seats again, just feels a reach too far - maybe there is an album in the pipeline that will take them to the next level?

Hmm yeah, that was my gut feeling. I'd love to see them again but not digging the idea of doing that in an half empty arena. I'll wait and see, not too worried about them selling out the arena and me not getting a ticket if a spontaneously decide I want to go, after all.

Yeah. I paid £25 to see them in a 1500 capacity venue 15 minutes from my house last time, so can’t bring myself to pay double the ticket price to make a 200 mile round trip for the inevitably worse experience of seeing them in a 20,000 capacity venue, so they’ve joined the long list of bands I’ll probably never see live again because they’re too popular now!

5 hours ago, MrPogo said:

Yeah. I paid £25 to see them in a 1500 capacity venue 15 minutes from my house last time, so can’t bring myself to pay double the ticket price to make a 200 mile round trip for the inevitably worse experience of seeing them in a 20,000 capacity venue, so they’ve joined the long list of bands I’ll probably never see live again because they’re too popular now!

Yeah same here. I saw them at the Kentish Town Forum and London Palladium, both incredible shows especially the Palladium. That one was really special, the venue suited them perfectly. Bigger concerts are just diminishing returns. More expensive and crapper experience.

It feels like Ghost need a career defining festival headline appearance and an utterly stonking new album to push them into the canon of legendary metal bands. Prequelle was ambitious but didn't connect as well as the sublime Melioria. It just didn't have the iconic, addictive pull of that album and made their career sag a bit. I certainly partially tuned out after Prequelle. Ghost need a Powerslave, Defenders Of The Faith or Master Of Puppets to really slam it home. Is that feasible for an essentially one man band? Maybe Ghost peaked with Meliora. Tobias is clearly chasing a commercial direction but is running the risk of alienating long term fans. Metal fans are fickle and conservative, too many more Dance Macabres could thin the fanbase out leaving Tobias in a situation like when Kiss went disco or when Celtic Frost went glam.

Looking forward to what comes next but the album really needs to be a more solid collection than Prequelle.

On 28/11/2021 at 09:59, Illyria said:

Hmm yeah, that was my gut feeling. I'd love to see them again but not digging the idea of doing that in an half empty arena. I'll wait and see, not too worried about them selling out the arena and me not getting a ticket if a spontaneously decide I want to go, after all.

I saw them a couple of years ago at Wembley arena and they were spectacular. The stage show on a nice big stage was fantastic, and I'm pretty sure it was sold out.

• 1 month later...

Reserving judgement on the whole album, but sounds redolent of songs like 'Faith', and especially 'Majesty' (especially the bit at 21 seconds in that repeats throughout the song). I guess I was kinda expecting another stylistic shift on this album, but it sounds a bit like more of the same. Which I'll hoover up of course. But yeah...waiting to hear more.

On 20/01/2022 at 13:45, Protocol Penguin said:

65763436-B8F2-404B-9A92-965B43FE7249.thumb.jpeg.3cdf5a0f679b8109c40d15de844b1a61.jpeg

Can’t tell yet if the ghouls are now Cybermen or olde-time deep sea divers, or a bit of both…

Not sure this helps but I quite like the new look. 

Screenshot_20220126-092844.thumb.jpg.8bc768c58c91a383168e41175711b2c2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's growing on me 😁 

I've listened to the rest of the album and it is very, very good. Need a few more listens to decide just how good. 

Hoping my vinyl comes tomorrow.

I like it after a listen on my morning walk, but I'm not sure it's better than Prequelle (which I loved and which got me into the band).

It has a strong 80's soft metal vibe this time. The intro to Griftwood is very redolent of Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love by Van Halen.

Also the intro to Twenties really reminds me of the beginning of this!

:lol: