IGNORED

Nintendo eShop 8th October 2015

deKay

Is this a gooSONIC 2!  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This week! From Nintendolife! 3D Sonic 2! And some other things!:

Wii U eShop

STARWHAL (Breakfall, €9.99 / £8.99) - An intense and chaotic multiplayer title, the Wii U version includes an exclusive new 5 player mode. This mode titled "Blastopus" involves players fighting against each other, and adds a fifth player to the action with the assistance of the Wii U GamePad. We found this to be a delight in our STARWHAL review.

Whispering Willows (Abstraction Games, €9.99 / £7.99) - A narrative driven 2D adventure that was originally on Ouya, you play as a young girl called Elena who can project her spirit out of her body; it sounds interesting as a concept, but we'll see whether it has the right spirit in our review.

Mario Sports Mix (Nintendo, €14.99 / £13.49 until 15th October, then €19.99 / £17.99) - We have another Wii retail game on the eShop, this time with one of the various minigame titles that arrived on the hugely successful little console. This features sports such as Basketball and Ice Hockey, and we had a lot of fun with it back in our Mario Sports Mix review.

Wii U Virtual Console

Mario Golf (Nintendo, €9.99 / £8.99) - The Nintendo 64 had some excellent multiplayer games and spin-offs, and another arrives on the Wii U in the form of this collection of golfing shenanigans. There are six courses and 10 modes to try out; this was a trailblazer in the genre of podgy mascots showing surprising sporting prowess. We gave this a solid recommendation in our Mario Golf review.

Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures (Bandai Namco, €7.99 / £5.49) - A SNES title from the mascots heyday, this is an "innovative interactive cartoon", or at least as far as a game like this can be on 16-bit hardware; this does also include full arcade versions of Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man, too. We'll gobble this up for a review.

Dig Dug II (Bandai Namco, €4.99 / £3.49) - Bandai Namco keeps up its run of retro sequels on the Wii U with this Dig Dug NES entry, which moves the action from underground up to the surface. We'll dig in for a review.

Pocky & Rocky With Becky (Natsume, €6.99 / £6.29) - The GBA can't miss out on the Virtual Console goodness either, so Natsume steps up with this action / adventure / shooter; you embark on a quest across seven stages to defeat an evil Hydra Dragon and a army of mythical creatures. We'll bring you a review soon.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Citizens of Earth (Atlus, €4.99 / £4.00 until 22nd October, normally €11.99 / £9.99)

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, €4.99 / £4.49 until 15th October, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

3DS eShop

3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (SEGA, €4.99 / £4.49) - The brilliant M2-developed series of retro SEGA titles given new life on the 3DS continues with this highly regarded Sonic title. When debates are had over the best ever Sonic game this one is normally in the conversation, which at the time added the spin dash to speed the mascot up. We'll check this out and dash into a review.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Citizens of Earth (Atlus, €4.99 / £4.00 until 22nd October, normally €11.99 / £9.99)

Retro City Rampage: DX (Vblank Entertainment, €4.99 / £4.49 until 22nd October, normally €8.99 / £7.99)

Secret Agent Files: Miami (Joindots, €5.99 / £4.49 until 22nd October, normally €7.99 / £5.99)

Jewel Match 3 (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.99 until 22nd October, normally €6.99 / £4.99)

Funfair Party Games (Joindots, €4.99 / £3.69 until 22nd October, normally €6.99 / £4.99)

Real Heroes: Firefighter 3D Download Version (Zordix AB, €4.99 / £4.49 until 29th October, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

3DS eShop Permanent Discount

Toy Stunt Bike (Wobbly Tooth, €2.99 / £2.99, was €4.99 / £4.49)

I swear Sonic 2 3D was available to download on the eShop when I logged in this weekened...

Anyway, Mario Golf 64 is awesome but if you have the 3DS one I am pretty sure all of the courses were DLC on there so possibly not worth spending a tenner on again.

I have to admit, I'm only getting 3D Sonic 2 to support M2 and encourage more of these to come out. I struggled to enjoy the original Sonic despite having fond memories of it, barely making it through stage 3 before finding it too frustrating for the magic of the audio visuals to continue carrying it. Bonus levels were great though, those bits were too short.

Roll on 3D Power Drift.

It's no Sonic MS/GG, but I'll still be snapping that up.

And then hoping for 3D Sonic 3 & Knuckles; Streets of Rage 3; Ristar; Story of Thor; Phantasy Star I-IV; Shining Force 1, 2, CD and Gaidens; Golden Axe...

I don't remember playing Megadrive Sonic 2 very much. Those colour palettes and graphical tricks are incredible, and the little run I had wasn't frustrating at all due to curiosity nearly always being rewarded and level design encouraging racing without being too eager to poke you in the eye for it. Zero shame felt for turning the coin-keeping option on straight away.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to say at the time but after playing extensively the Sonic 2 port feels all kinds of lazy. The sound effects are not quite right. SEGA! at the beginning is outright broken, ring chimes are off regardless of setting it to MD1 or 2. Edit: Which is odd as Sonic 1 had no sound issues.

2 player is taken out completely, how hard could it have been to keep it in?

Maybe not worth as much complaining about the 'new' modes but regardless, choosing a level simply bypasses the code you had to put into the original game to get to the same screen, whilst ring keeper is nothing very imaginative (but expected, knowing them). It's not like Sonic 2 was unfair in it's ring allocation unlike say, a certain Master System title. New players will still die in Chemical Plant for example. Pointless.

And as usual, all the improvements of the mobile port a few years back have been ignored. Widescreen, Hidden Palace, Knuckles, 'improved' 3D Special Stages, and so on.

This feels like it took 5minutes to get out the door.

Good to hear your opinion NEG, the interview on the blog sounded that this was the toughest game for them to 3d-ify, perhaps the extra needed to make this happen came at a cost (that no-one aside from diehard fans can notice). Is a shame as their efforts up till now have been superb (apart from, game selection :P )

Yeah the interview I read sounded like they poured their heart and soul into getting this port right.

I was going to buy it, but the lack of the palace zone and other extras in the mobile port turn me off completely. I already have several copies of sonic 2 and 3d just doesn't make me wanna spent 4.50 on it.

Did the steam version get the mobile extras? I haven't checked in a long while..

You know, I'd written 10 paragraphs giving my impressions/critic of the M2 interview, but, you know what? Fuck that..

Yeah, I don't need to write much more.

The Steam version is still straight Mega Drive emulation. iOS/Android are still the only holders of best versions of Sonic 1 & 2 for any system.