IGNORED

Undertale

Shoes

Undertale is a JRPG-style game on Steam where it is encouraged to talk to enemies rather than fight them. The visuals - and music and tone, really - is very Earthbound in style, and there’s Monkey Island and Wario Ware influences in its humour and writing.

The music especially is just wonderful. There’s 8-bit and 16-bit influences but also 32-bit stuff: like a span of JRPGs from my youth.

It’s incredible and I couldn’t believe it has so few mentions of it - if any; I'm not slogging through the Giant Bomb thread. Here's a trailer.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/391540/

It's only £7 and you'll love it.

I was recommended it by a friend a few days ago having never heard of it, and when I played it I loved it so much I though it'd have become an indie hit and would have a thread on here.

I'm only two hours into it, but there's already been so many great touches and funny characters.

RtfpNbF.png

It's the best game I've played in years and years and years. For many it'll be merely a fantastic curio, full of charm and actual laughs, but for me it's shot right to the top of my favourite genre. Toby Fox has done the impossible and made something funnier, quirkier and weirder than Earthbound.

Finished it yesterday. The ending was fucking spectacular. The whole game was fucking spectacular. Easily my favourite this year, maybe ever.

Took me about 10 hours and I instantly jumped back in for a pacifist run. Then I'm going to do a genocide run.

I miss Papyrus. This game is so great.

Been doing an hour every night or so since it came out. It's wonderfully written, and there seems to be all sorts of replay value. Very much some kind of Earthbound // Space Funeral // To The Moon hybrid, but still doing it's own thing.

My only problem so far is believing that one dude (toby fox) could do all of this. Created such memorable characters? Composed that fucking soundtrack!?! It's a conspiracy waiting to happen.

(also the Steam cards sell pretty well, value fans)

Slowly playing through it again, and the characters make references to decisions you made in the previous playthrough which is pretty heart-breaking. I don't want to spoil much because it's such a wonderful, wonderful game.

Everyone should buy it. It's Earthbound-esque in it's sort of naive playfulness and visual style, but whereas Earthbound - and Mother 3 - are JRPGs with quite a big caveat, Undertale is much more about the story; the battle system is largely irrelevant and more of a narrative element.

I'm another who hasn't played Earthbound, but took the plunge on this today. It's relentlessly wonderful.

Early-game spoiler:

I fucking killed Toriel by accident :( No idea if it's unavoidable but I keep calling her every now and again to see if she picks up.

Nobody will ever use her stove again.

I've done 43 hours according to Steam within 3-4 days of owning (friend recommended). All the main 3 endings, longest on Geno for reasons people will discover when they get there.

My first run (neutral) is on twitch:

1) http://www.twitch.tv/thirnova/v/20799209 2) http://www.twitch.tv/thirnova/v/20800106 3) http://www.twitch.tv/thirnova/v/20801444

It took time to grow on me, but once it did it's definitely GOTY. I haven't played Mother 1-3/Earthbound.

This video alone should sell people on the game (no real spoilers):

Finished the pacifist run last night. If you've done a normal run, you definitely should do a pacifist run. There's a few new sequences that are absolutely incredible, and the ending is amazing. Slight spoils, maybe, but pay off temmi's coleg as soon as you can. It's not that hard to farm money, and for me, it made battles much easier and more enjoyable.

Pacifist spoilers:

It really is a wonderful playthrough. Making friends with everyone and the resulting dates/cooking lessons/narrative elements are all wonderful. And the end! My friend complained about it seeming a bit too unrealistically upbeat and 'fantastical' compared to the rest of the game, but it's a perfect run; it's the ideal, hollywood ending. You spend the game saving everything, making friends, the thought of attacking didn't even enter the player's head, so I adore the bombastic final boss and the idealistic ending.

I was considering another run, but Flowey told me everyone's happy and only I had the power to reset everything and start over again, sending all my friends back. I legit don't think I can do it :(

You'd think Passive would be a slog at first getting to know every type of monster without harming them, truth is the majority of them end up being easier then actually fighting them! :)

Some unexpected plot details still hide behind Genocide Run, Shoes. Without spoiling I really do recommend it. Can always do passive again after. ;)

Edit: It's worth noting that it's also the order the developer intended people play the game: Neutral, Passive, Genocide.

I'm not really sure how it works, but I believe you can't get a 'true' pacifist ending until you've finished the game once. My first run started pacifist but I started attacking enemies when it got a bit harder.

On your first run I'd say just do what you want. If you get frustrated, don't worry about killing enemies.

It's really a game that doesn't finish on the first run: the second felt wildly different to me.

I have to say I'm not particularly loving this so far. It's made me smile a few times, but little more than that.

I'm not very far through.

I got out of the ruins without killing Toriel, and I'm currently doing some puzzles for Sans and Papyrus.

I could frankly do without the combat. The non-fighting mechanic is an interesting one, but I'm not enjoying the mini-bullet-hell bits much at all.

Although I do enjoy some of the twists, like the guy who just wants to be left alone so he can dance in the bottom of the combat window, or the frog that kind of flings itself comically through the air, or the yappy fluffy white dog

I want to like it - I got it as a gift from someone who loved it so much that he played it from start to finish in his first sitting, which ended up lasting ten hours. For him it's one of the best games ever made, and I'm afraid I just don't see it. Yet, hopefully.