Undertale

Shoes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

It’s been a few years since the release of Undertale, an endearing role-playing game that made waves online for its charming writing and the option to defeat enemies by talking to them. Today, creator Toby Fox has released a free follow-up on Undertale named Deltarune — a name that many are noting is an anagram of Undertale.

You can download Deltarune for both Windows and Mac here.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/31/18047410/undertale-spinoff-sequel-deltarune-toby-fox

43 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Musings an hour in.

Reveal hidden contents

It's setting everything up, but it's surely not the start of an entire story? This is fascinating. 

Spoiler

There are moments where that feels to be the case, yet some parts don't make sense to me all the same going by Undertale lore. Still, plenty to still do. Amazing that this is free. Thank you, Toby. <3

Please don't read if you haven't finished yet.

Latest theory seems to be:

Spoiler

Since the last cutscene doesn't change no matter how you decide to play the game: Alternate universe, post-Genocide route where the player hasn't returned. Chara is destroying other worlds like he said he would. It can't be a prequel because Gerson is dead (turtle shopkeeper guy) and several characters are adult, or whom were friends in Undertale but are not here.

Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

Amazing.

I made it to a credits sequence but I'm sure there's missable stuff I missed.  Gameplay notes:

Spoiler

I ACTed my way out of every battle, of course, but that last cutscene was a bit weird. :) 

I thought the characters were great and there were some interesting gameplay ideas. That main battle theme was amazing, and when I heard the credits music 

Spoiler

I instantly thought "Laura Shigihara!" before her name appeared :wub: 

When you get given a Manual in-game, you really do get given one, you just have to check the game files to read it.

bihtxmvpspv11.jpg

Another pondersome 'huh' plot-wise if you spot the year there.

Spoiler

Though bear in mind, it was Chara who fell down the mountain in 201X, and 7 kids after that before we as the player Frisk. So it could also be that Undertale happened far later overall still.

That was great!

My daughter has no clue about undertale, she saw me playing this around halfway through and has sat next to me whilst I read out the words and she had an absolute blast. She was devastated when it finished. Excuse to play Undertale again I guess!

On 02/11/2018 at 16:36, Qazimod said:

A few additional details from Toby:

Aw jeez, that's complicated. It's like he's got half an idea of what he wants, but wants to create everything in his vision. I wonder if he'll end up knocking out extremely short chapters, if any more.

Played and finished this for the very first time over the weekend. I knew about the pacifist run being possible so did that and have it set up for true pacifist tonight but didn't know anything else about the game.

Absolutely loved so much of it with the writing clearly the standout.

Yet the most affecting thing came within the first 20 minutes or so, when you fight the nominal first boss. As mentioned, I was doing a pacifist run but the "rules" for pacifism I'd learned from the regular enemies didn't seem to work so I assumed this was a fight I had to try and win through combat (which, itself, ironically meant I found a later boss ridiculously difficult because I thought I'd learned the actual rules of pacifism).

Do the awful deed, completely hate it, look up whether it's possible to avoid it, find out how, reload my save and feel the smug hero. Karma +1. Toriel will remember that.

And then I go through the door and Flowey basically says "I know what you did" and an unexpected feeling of dread quickly spreads through me. All bets were off.

A game that knows it's a game but, moreover, knows what you will do because you do it in every game. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I forgot to post about it at the time but the biggest wrestler outside of WWE  worked with Foxx on a short Undertaleesque thing at the start of the year.

It sort of killed the crowd - who were expecting his usual music and for him not to look like a geek - but still neat.