IGNORED

Undertale

Shoes

You're still very early on - give it a bit longer.

The bullet hell fighting would be more of a problem if it was harder, but I never found it particularly tricky - on your first run though it's probably worth killing enemies (as that's the only way to increase your EXP and HP, which does make it more forgiving).

Yeah, I will persevere. I do want to like it.

It's not so much that the combat is generally too hard (although I have legit died once, and not in a boss fight), I just don't actually enjoy it very much even when it's easy. Every encounter so far has felt like a bit of a chore, mitigated slightly by the inventiveness of some of the characters and their in-combat traits.

As an aside, the graphic style does very little for me, although the music is nice.

Someone (edit: looked back, it was in fact Shoes) posted that video earlier in this thread, the one with the dog with the extendable neck, with a comment along the lines of "if you don't love this game from this video alone, you're dead" or something. (edit 2: wait no, it was a different dog video. Drat, that invalidates the next paragraph a bit.)

The same friend who would go on to buy me the game had previously linked me to that video. I'm afraid I just don't see it at all. I mean I love dogs and of course petting them is brilliant but I honestly don't get the neck thing. The first time I watched it, with little explanation beforehand, I thought it was one of those "look how broken this game is, how did it get released like this" things.

Like EarthBound, it sort of goes beyond the fourth wall a bit. There's loads of little touches that refer to the player playing the game, or moments when the visuals deliberately break for comedic effect. There's a scene where a character leaves the screen for a few moments, but her face is still there, waiting for them to return.

Not everyone will like this stuff, and that's fine. But I adored it!

How does neutral work? So far I've not been fighting anyone at all because it seemed like that was what the game wanted me to do, but surely that makes me a pacifist.

You'll get the neutral boss and ending regardless of being passive on your first run, is the way I understand it. Probably with a little less depressing dialogue at the end if you mistakenly killed anything (which most first time players would). You basically won't get a specific item on the first run to do an extra little thing near the end.

Don't think too much about it, play. :)

Yeah, I will persevere. I do want to like it.

It's not so much that the combat is generally too hard (although I have legit died once, and not in a boss fight), I just don't actually enjoy it very much even when it's easy. Every encounter so far has felt like a bit of a chore, mitigated slightly by the inventiveness of some of the characters and their in-combat traits.

As an aside, the graphic style does very little for me, although the music is nice.

Someone (edit: looked back, it was in fact Shoes) posted that video earlier in this thread, the one with the dog with the extendable neck, with a comment along the lines of "if you don't love this game from this video alone, you're dead" or something. (edit 2: wait no, it was a different dog video. Drat, that invalidates the next paragraph a bit.)

The same friend who would go on to buy me the game had previously linked me to that video. I'm afraid I just don't see it at all. I mean I love dogs and of course petting them is brilliant but I honestly don't get the neck thing. The first time I watched it, with little explanation beforehand, I thought it was one of those "look how broken this game is, how did it get released like this" things.

The style of humor definitely doesn't seem to be for everyone (I've watched a few live streams where people refunded it after an hours play, the whole tutorial section is a little too slow for some so they don't get a chance to 'get it'), but I'd like to think most would enjoy it. Hence the forever extending Dog as an example. It's so silly and yet it goes on and on with more and more unique dialogue. Fantastic, to me, at least.

Pacifist run done. Definitely missing some stuff though. Big ol' spoilers:

Temmi - I meet her in the mushroom bit but haven't figured out any other way of interacting

The key from the back-alley shop - where's it for? Presumably the door East of the frozen town.

Papyrus' Coolshed - can you get in there?

Also the way Flowey turns up when you boot after the pacifist run to taunt you about resetting the game is glorious. Same as after the first run when the game quits to desktop, and when you load it up the title sequence is all fucked up -

"Long ago, two races ruled over Earth: HUMANS and MONSTERS. One day, they both mysteriously disappeared"

Not to mention the glorious Amiga-esque presentation for the big Flowey fight. It's so good, and reminiscent of games from that era that were painfully tough but have you a million hit points.

And the lab! So many of those diary entries were pitch-perfect.

Best game.

Edit - started my third run

Already feel awful about massacring Toriel and Papyrus, but I want the runback against that fucking flower.

I feel the need to point out there is a very specific way of doing 'proper' Geno and you can mess it up very easily and be thrown into neutral without knowing:

You need to kill stuff until they stop spawning. The game and the save points will let you know you've done it correctly (killed enough). If a certain message isn't popping up, you are not doing it correctly, and can't go back without starting again. eg: need to have done all of tutorial monsters before facing Toi, all Snowdin monsters before Pap, and so on.

It can feel very much like Pokemon shiny hunting, you'll see what I mean.

Pacifist run done. Definitely missing some stuff though. Big ol' spoilers:

Temmi - I meet her in the mushroom bit but haven't figured out any other way of interacting

The key from the back-alley shop - where's it for? Presumably the door East of the frozen town.

Papyrus' Coolshed - can you get in there?

Also the way Flowey turns up when you boot after the pacifist run to taunt you about resetting the game is glorious. Same as after the first run when the game quits to desktop, and when you load it up the title sequence is all fucked up -

"Long ago, two races ruled over Earth: HUMANS and MONSTERS. One day, they both mysteriously disappeared"

Not to mention the glorious Amiga-esque presentation for the big Flowey fight. It's so good, and reminiscent of games from that era that were painfully rough m tough but have you a million hit points.

And the lab! So many of those diary entries were pitch-perfect.

Best game.

Edit - started my third run

Already feel awful about massacring Toriel and Papyrus, but I want the runback against that fucking flower.

back alley key = the house next to the dj ghost. Temmi village is semi-hidden in the waterfall area, the boat man can give you a clue. Can enter the shed by deliberately losing to Pap. Yes, even if you drop to 1hp it doesn't mean he kills you. :)

I feel the need to point out there is a very specific way of doing 'proper' Geno and you can mess it up very easily and be thrown into neutral without knowing:

You need to kill stuff until they stop spawning. The game and the save points will let you know you've done it correctly (killed enough). If a certain message isn't popping up, you are not doing it correctly, and can't go back without starting again. eg: need to have done all of tutorial monsters before facing Toi, all Snowdin monsters before Pap, and so on.

It can feel very much like Pokemon shiny hunting, you'll see what I mean.

What a load of shit. Waste of an hour last night then it appears :(

Took me close to if not 100+ tries in all during the night and following afternoon. Simply fantastic, raised the games bar for me because of this fight alone.

Not sure how far into the fight itself your in but when the interface itself starts to become your enemy...haha, ahahahaha!

And the music! <3

How bad did you feel on the way there?

Stay determined!

For a large part of my playthrough of this, I've been wondering what the hell all the fuss is about. It's made me chuckle here and there but everything else has left me a bit perplexed at the love it's been getting.

Well I've now finished my first playthrough and yeah.... it's rather brilliant. I dunno what it was that changed my mind but around 70% or so into it, I found myself really enjoying it. It's a lot more interesting and inventive than I gave it credit for. I'm now into my second playthrough and its going from strength to strength.

tumblr_nx5jutCwOk1ujhgz3o1_1280.jpg

Just got past the rotating laser bit that I'd died on about five or six times. He's fucking asleep. Is this for real?!

[edit] FUCK

[edit 2] - end of game spoilers

Now the main character has killed me and the game no longer loads. Just the sound of the end of the world. There appears to be no way to progress.

Undertale is superb.

This game is fab. My fave RPG since Barkley, short and sweet.

Early game spoiler:

Poor Mitch! He is a loser, though, he deserves ditching.

Neutral end game:

FUCKING HELL Flowey you dickhead. I was just about to go to sleep and that shit happens. Had to beat him before bed to wipe the smile off his face, the fucker!

Pacifist end game:

The music throughout the game is great already, but this is a fantastic crescendo for the main motif. Awesome theme!

I don't have the heart to do a genocide run. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...