IGNORED

Undertale

Shoes

But but..Zelda OOT...

But but...Undertale..!

Arrrgghh :omg: :omg: :omg:

Really doesn't deserve beating OOT, but at least in 10 years or whenever when they do this poll again, people can at least go 'Hm, I wonder what Undertale was'. It deserves that much.

OOT isn't the best Zelda, and it's not better than Undertale.

OOT was revolutionary for it's time. Mario 64 similarly which is why I still rate both highly. I mean yes what both games have done for the industry is lost on younger folk but it's the main reason I still rate both on top of my own list. Maybe it's wrong of me to judge on that factor alone but 'blowing my mind the first time I play it' counts for me.

If I had to judge from a 'all things being equal' sense, both Undertale and OOT don't have much replay value. Undertale makes you think about more things than OOT does. Both win in the atmosphere department. Gameplay you could argue OOT does better but UT does have it's moments...

Yeah, the nostalgia factor is a bit hard to shrug off I guess. But I do love Undertale dearly all the same. In my top 10 at the very least. The fact I changed my avatar to raise the games awareness (and loving Sans) speaks for itself.

Oh, and the quiz bits are big plus point for me, any game with a game show quiz at/near the end is just the best thing ever (also see: Banjo-Kazooie)

I do hope we end up seeing more Mercy-based RPG's thanks to Undertale when it comes to revolutionary aspects, mind.

Edit:

It's because he started a stupid thread on GameFAQs then had a breakdown on Twitter and sites linked to it.

Undertale is loosely 'Earthbound-esque'. It's an easy way of describing it, and it shares a similar visual/humour style. But without its story and dialogue it'd be nothing. It also had quite th e GamerGate backlash when it was released; I guess because it is wrapped in a SNES JRPG style but with a heavy emphasis on saving things, gay relationships and silliness.

No gender at all for the majority of the cast. Implied sex change, also.

I rather people found out after they've played because like I said earlier, I didn't notice some of it until my third run. Some games just make it too obvious with token 'different' character. In Undertale it all blends in.

Is the controller support OK? Steam says "partial controller support" which sometimes means "perfectly fine" and sometimes means "terrible".

There's a single part in the game where you should use a keyboard, but otherwise it's fine.

What are the odds of this getting a console release? It looks great.

Dunno. There's a whole meta-game involved with it being the way it is.

I did buy it, and finished it once today, then decided to finish it a second time, killing everyone. I didn't know there was certain extra criteria to meet to make it a "genocide run".

pffffffff. Not sure I can be bothered to play it twice more. Maybe I can do the pacifist thing and get that ending. Maybe. I'd probably have to use a walkthrough to figure out some odd stuff.

Proper genocide is worth it if you care for a few extra plot details only this run gives (and some real challenge for your trouble). Do it. I detailed it on the previous page what you have to do. :)

Here it is again:

Keep killing normal mobs until they stop coming, before moving on to the next area. This applies from the very beginning. The game will let you know when you've killed enough. Otherwise it's just considered one of the many neutral runs. Even Toriel's dialogue will be different, if done correctly. Even stuff like the dummy at the start needs to apply.

It's the only ending that isn't obvious how to achieve without hearing from outside the game, and I can understand why. Intentional to do it after Passive.

OK I did the true pacifist run last night. FEELINGS! Bit intense and overthetop.

I think it's really great, though, how you can

go around and talk to everyone after you've finished the game but before the credits, and find out how each individual feels about this. Usually, when you finish a game and it's just credits roll well done, there's a lot that you don't see, and that feels a bit empty when it's a long game that you've spent scores of hours on.

Something about post-passive that some people might miss, read this before 'ending' your passive run for good:

If you're bothering going back and speaking to everyone, remember to go back to the VERY BEGINNING OF THE GAME to be able to talk to a certain character. Note: If you save and go away from the game at this point, THAT PARTICULAR CHARACTER at the very beginning will no longer be there.

Happened to me as I was too sleepy at that point (late at night) to talk to everyone, came back next day, did, and a friend pointed out that character being at the start, of which wasn't for me. Makes sense why, from a story viewpoint. :(

Determination!