IGNORED

Undertale

Shoes

I haven't really been following games for the last year so I very nearly missed out on this completely. Glad I didn't. It's now one of my favourite games and has made a lot of games I thought were quite good seem a bit pants in comparison. I would have expected a lot more people on RLLMUK to at least try it.

Ending wise:

I got the pacifist ending first time through (which was great), then Flowey showed up with a bit of advice on how to get a better ending still, so I went straight back into it and got that (which was amazing). *smug*

I don't know how anyone could kill anyone in this. The characters are so likeable that I'd be bummed out about not seeing them again. I won't be going back for a none pacifist play through, since I don't think I'd be able to cope with the guilt.

About 2-3 hours in and so far it seems like a less annoying version of To The Moon (which wasn't even a game to begin with). This also borders on being a visual novel though. Anyway I'll definitely stick with it but yeah, it's ok so far just not THE BEST THING EVER OMFG. It did make me laugh out loud a few times though so that's good!

Finished it recently - what a lovely little game. Heartwarming and extremely funny at times.

And I agree skill is certainly required. The challenge ramps up quite a bit towards the end, and while I never really got the hang of the shmup-style dodging of enemy attacks during some boss encounters, it was always a fun little puzzle in itself trying to figure out how to resolve each encounter peacefully.

About 2-3 hours in and so far it seems like a less annoying version of To The Moon (which wasn't even a game to begin with). This also borders on being a visual novel though. Anyway I'll definitely stick with it but yeah, it's ok so far just not THE BEST THING EVER OMFG. It did make me laugh out loud a few times though so that's good!

You HAVE to stick with it. The further you go the more it builds and builds.

I finally caved in and bought this a few weeks back, gave up after 2 mins. I didn't even get into the game, I couldn't get past the bit where you have to enter your name or something. Can't even remember now. I think it;s because I had a xbox pad and was using it via steamlink. Steamlink told me before buying it that this game needs mouse and keyboard which from what I've seen seems like bullshit. So I bought it anyway. Maybe it was right though? Can't be bothered playing it on my PC, just wanted to try it on the couch.

I just gave up. True story.

Hm okay. I kind of wish I had gotten South Park or Invisible Inc. for the same amount of money instead though. It's charming and it has its moments but unless something drastically changes I doubt I'll be playing this multiple times.

There's still time to get the discounted South Park - best bit of gaming fun I had last year.

There's also having to press F4 to make it fullscreen every time you start it.

VNIX, I don't think it's actually possible to do everything right the first time and get the best ending, even though you seem determined to.

I think the most dramatic parts come near the end, and on replays when you're doing stuff differently. Wasn't there an article a few pages back about the man who didn't really feel much for it until he went back and started killing people?

When I was at the point you are at, I think I was also pretty convinced that it wasn't great. Despite the fact that I was playing it without stopping.

Yeah, it's a weird one, I wasn't actually that into the game until the ending of the neutral run. All the flaws were really starting to niggle by that point. The biggest was that while the battle system is fun, the boss fights go on about twice as long as they need to in the latter half of the game. I've proved I can dodge these patterns, do I really have to prove it for seventeen turns?

Anyway, VN1X, you'll like the game if you stick with it because it goes FULL ANIME towards the end.

And after you're spat back into the game after that ending, it's perfectly possible to do the true pacifist ending as long as you've not killed anyone during your run. And luckily, the things you have to do to trigger that ending are the best bits in the entire game.

Capwn, there's like one or two times in the game you need the keyboard to type, I'm afraid.

I absolutely hated one or two fights towards the end, particularly Mettaton. I probably died against him as many times as against all the other enemies in the game combined. It does feel like you can get yourself in a situation without certain items, making a fight particularly difficult, and it's quite fiddly to backtrack and resolve this.

It's quite obvious during the subsequent fights that things are scripted to make you almost but not quite die even when you're doing well, but that doesn't make them any less "wtf how am I meant to do this" when you first encounter them. I suppose that's the response you're meant to have, but they weren't always fun for me, and sometimes just felt like test of endurance.

I enjoyed the RPG elements but also know now, more than ever before, that I'm never going to be a big fan of bullet hell shooters. Particularly those played mostly using the arrow keys. Obviously the music and writing are both fabulous, but this feels like yet another experience that's off limits to a lot of people who aren't typical "gamers". The combat is fun for the most part, but I can see a lot of people walking away from this when it asks too much of them. Would've actually preferred a relatively frictionless "visual novel" type approach tbh.

Maybe a easy mode, but I hate something like Invincibility Raccoon in Mario games as that just as much takes the 'game' out of the game. Everyone has their own skill preference of course. I love To The Moon for different reasons but I wouldn't consider that a game. Automatic progression is for television and books. Pressing A in-between commercial breaks wouldn't be gameplay.

I didn't find it too hard on my first run, but did on my pacifist run - I would have preferred it without the stupidly hard boss fights. Endlessly dying and restarting isn't fun, especially a game like this, which is all about the narrative. It's why I never the genocide run. I don't have any desire to be frustrated.

Still, it was worth it. During my pacifist run I kept referring to a guide to make sure I got everything right, and getting the temmie armour helped a lot in terms of boss battles.

So there are attacks which are unavoidable? Just now for instance I was on a conveyor belt and it had blue lasers covering it. Since they only activate when you move, which you can't help but do while standing on a moving object, they obviously attack you.

Seems like bad design if that's the case? Especially when you're already on low health? I'm hoping I'm missing something obscure here (again).

Ah k.

At the hotel area just before the core now and I think I know what my problem with this game is, or rather my expectations for it. For starters It's been getting a ton of glowing reviews and ended up on quite a few end of year lists. So suffice it to say my expectations were rather high. Now I get why a lot of people get on with it... It's quirky, funny and obviously well written stuff. However, based on what I've played so far, it would be the same as putting something like Jazzpunk on a top 10 list. It's a cool experience and filled with subversive content, it surprises you every step of the way and is simply a fresh take on the genre. However to say that it's a great game would be a bit of a stretch. The same way how The Stanley Parable is a terrific experience but not for everyone as all you do is... well walk, basically. With Undertale there's just nothing there to keep me engaged. I hate bullethell shooters so the combat is just awful to me and when it comes to actually progressing through the game the second half tries its very best to interrupt you as much as it possibly can. I get that all of that scientist nonsense is part of the actual game but to constantly have a character interrupt you every, single, time as you make your way through a new screen is just plain annoying to me. Based on the intro of the game I was expecting it to be more akin of a puzzler filled with RPG elements but it just does away with both of those things under the guise of jokez and calls it a day.

I fear when I read "this is the best game ever" I didn't take into account that some of you also proclaimed Kylo Ren to be the best baddie ever and seemingly having blacked-out on Heath Ledger's Joker, Hans Landa, Hannibal or Loki even, just to name a few.

Undertale so far has been a fun experience, most of the time, but I'd rather have spent my money on something else instead and waited for this to be available on the cheap (and not be taken in by the hype).