IGNORED

Undertale

Shoes

8 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Oh no, I was just about to try Undertale; is it a NEG game? 

It's not a NEG game, it's a BEST game. (of 2015)

I'd say the music mixes, interesting discussion and review posts far outweigh the zanier fan base posts, Shoes. The rumination video from the other day is especially recommended.

I can't praise the game enough, and will continue to do so.

It really is an exceptional game. I've never been so emotionally invested in the characters as I was playing Undertale. The way it has caught on with the internet is annoying (I just saw the Temie video NEG posted - it's dreadful and completely ruins the character of Temie) and it saddens me it stops people playing it.

It's one of my favourite games of all time; I'm listening to the soundtrack and a warm wave of nostalgia has washed over me. It's so, so fucking lovely.

• 3 weeks later...

It went well. Only took 11 tries, and since the cloud save hadn't seemed to have carried over I decided to do the 'right' thing at the very end.

I'm informed game audio was low despite mic audio being too low at the start. I need to find the right balance. Friend of mine also says it's out of sync slightly, if so that would be a 'new' problem.

• 3 weeks later...

You can now order the official art book! :omg:

product_UT_artbook_photo2_1024x1024.jpg?

product_UT_artbook_photo1_1024x1024.png?

product_UT_artbook_photo5_1024x1024.png?

"Every video game has concept art... UNDERTALE is no exception..." 

The art book features 255 full-color pages showing UNDERTALE from the very first concept sketches to the end of development. 

Art from Toby Fox, Temmie Chang, Gigi D.G., and more

Commentary from Toby Fox on the design and development process

Gold debossed Annoying Dog on the back

https://www.fangamer.com/products/undertale-art-book

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 06/10/2016 at 10:16, Shoes said:

He just posts naff fan videos, which I don't watch. That element of the Undertale fanbase annoys me. 

It's a shame, because the game is

legitimately charming and beautifully written. 

I've just played this for the first time. Like the quote above and others like it, the fanbase basically drove me off. I might be wrong but I got the impression that they were the kind of fanbase that uses phrases like, "u mad bro" and "all of the salt" while posting troll faces and pictures of attack helicopters on Tumblr blogs about gender dysphoria. You know the type. I'd also heard rumours that the bloke who made Undertale was a Phil Fish-esque arsehole who was way too overly preachy about how much he hated regular RPGs and people who played them (note: I haven't actually looked him up to see if that's all true yet).

All of the above, when associated with an indie game, thus gave me the impression that Undertale was going to be an insipid, amateurish retread in internet "humour" and "metaness". Shit and fart jokes, a boss based on that anti-game feminist lass whom you have to beat by firing memes and "dickslap.png" items at. All that shite. Hell, that skeleton whose pic I've been seeing everywhere is basically the new troll face, right? All it really needed was one of those stupid long titles that was basically a sentence. "It's Just A Prank, Bro! - The Game" or something.

Plus when it comes to the internet, the slightest tiny thing can piss me off, I'm very fickle like that. It's why I only listen to two podcasts and follow one Youtube show, and why the 'Muk is my only forum. ;) And Undertale looked like it had bullet hell elements in the combat system too, and I've never been a fan of scrolling shooters. 

Thus, now I've played it (as you may gather from reading this, it was a pacifist run ;) ), click the (not actually a) spoiler below to see how the game squares up to my expectations:

Untitled-2 copy.png

Maybe I'm just feeling high after getting so into it that, barring a handful of hours to sleep, I finished this in essentially one sitting - and I haven't done that since Symphony of the Night - but I absolutely love this game. I don't think I've ever played a game that's both made me literally laugh out loud and legit well up ( :blush: ) before. It's funny, it's sad, it's unsettlingly creepy and it's all fuzzy and heartwarming, all in one. Don't get me wrong, it's a short game for an RPG and has about a thousandth of the dialogue a single Final Fantasy has, and at its core the story in itself isn't that original. But it's how it tells that story that makes it, both in how it uses the mechanics of being a videogame and how it utilises the fourth wall, and how it's directed: from little things you might miss to the perfect timing of the music cues. It made me feel the adult equivalent of when you're a little kid watching an animated movie rooting for the characters as they're in peril. It articulates your emotions perfectly to the point where when you're hit with some fuzzy heartwarming cheese, you, rather than rolling your eyes, turn into these lads because you're so invested:

01100000000000144726703877736_s.jpg 

That's all I can say without spoiling anything. ;)

On a gameplay point of view, I was never bored. A few corridors are perhaps too long which might make backtracking a chore, but there are methods of fast travel available. Random battles are never a pain in the arse when travelling - in fact, I had to go looking for a few more when I needed the cash to buy a certain item. The gameplay is easy if you have the right items, and just the right challenge if not - I never found myself getting irritated or frustrated at any point. The combat system, especially later, is very much a tool to help with telling the story, and as such it's clearly by design that certain things are in place to deliberately not frustrate or impede at key points.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not perfect: Some might find the battles too easy, and the pacifist approach is less articulate than the biggest fans say; they seem to put over that you can make genuine friendships and have meaningful chats as part of the "battle" - you can't, it's basically a traditional combat system in all but name. ;) And once you know how to beat a certain class of enemy, you do so in the exact same way each time. The story is also, aside from the prologue, a bit of a slow starter, but that prologue is, I think, unique and interesting enough to keep you going through those next couple of hours.

All in all, then, I can't remember the last time I felt such an emotional response to playing a game. Maybe I never have. Maybe I'm still riding the wave and in a few days my opinion will change. But as of right now? It's a game that's just the right length, with (for me) just the right balance of difficulty, that somehow, using methods that are sometimes even genuinely unsettling, manages to roll the mind back to a more innocent, emotional time. I feel like a wrestling fan who has somehow managed to forget it's all predetermined and is cheering on their fave musclechap. :lol:

In contrast, I also finished Final Fantasy VIII yesterday (with all GFs and every character at Lv. 100 - I surprisingly liked the Draw system!), and despite enjoying the gameplay, when the credits had rolled, I made this face:

0nXqtBA.jpg

But when Undertale had finished, I made this face:

fghfhg.gif

Spot on. :)

What a great post, brother. I felt exactly the same after finishing it. It's hard to articulate how it made me feel when I first played it, and when I did a second run (pacifist). I absolutely adored the characters. That's not something I mean lightly; I fucking LOVED them. Every bit of dialogue. Papyrus with spaghetti on his head. The snowpoffs.

It's just so wonderful. If you don't like the characters, you won't like the game. It's a narrative experience, and I have zero desire to do a genocide run, which by all accounts turns it into a depressing slog of an RPG.

I don't have a strong urge to play it again, either. Maybe in a few years, when I want to reacquaint myself with the world.

I still listen to the soundtrack. Even on its own it's a monumental achievement.

I hope Toby Fox never revisits it.

2 hours ago, Brother Tendo said:

I've just played this for the first time. Like the quote above and others like it, the fanbase basically drove me off. I might be wrong but I got the impression that they were the kind of fanbase that uses phrases like, "u mad bro" and "all of the salt" while posting troll faces and pictures of attack helicopters on Tumblr blogs about gender dysphoria. You know the type. I'd also heard rumours that the bloke who made Undertale was a Phil Fish-esque arsehole who was way too overly preachy about how much he hated regular RPGs and people who played them (note: I haven't actually looked him up to see if that's all true yet).

All of the above, when associated with an indie game, thus gave me the impression that Undertale was going to be an insipid, amateurish retread in internet "humour" and "metaness". Shit and fart jokes, a boss based on that anti-game feminist lass whom you have to beat by firing memes and "dickslap.png" items at. All that shite. Hell, that skeleton whose pic I've been seeing everywhere is basically the new troll face, right? All it really needed was one of those stupid long titles that was basically a sentence. "It's Just A Prank, Bro! - The Game" or something.

Plus when it comes to the internet, the slightest tiny thing can piss me off, I'm very fickle like that. It's why I only listen to two podcasts and follow one Youtube show, and why the 'Muk is my only forum. ;) And Undertale looked like it had bullet hell elements in the combat system too, and I've never been a fan of scrolling shooters. 

Thus, now I've played it (as you may gather from reading this, it was a pacifist run ;) ), click the (not actually a) spoiler below to see how the game squares up to my expectations:

Reveal hidden contents

Untitled-2 copy.png

Maybe I'm just feeling high after getting so into it that, barring a handful of hours to sleep, I finished this in essentially one sitting - and I haven't done that since Symphony of the Night - but I absolutely love this game. I don't think I've ever played a game that's both made me literally laugh out loud and legit well up ( :blush: ) before. It's funny, it's sad, it's unsettlingly creepy and it's all fuzzy and heartwarming, all in one. Don't get me wrong, it's a short game for an RPG and has about a thousandth of the dialogue a single Final Fantasy has, and at its core the story in itself isn't that original. But it's how it tells that story that makes it, both in how it uses the mechanics of being a videogame and how it utilises the fourth wall, and how it's directed: from little things you might miss to the perfect timing of the music cues. It made me feel the adult equivalent of when you're a little kid watching an animated movie rooting for the characters as they're in peril. It articulates your emotions perfectly to the point where when you're hit with some fuzzy heartwarming cheese, you, rather than rolling your eyes, turn into these lads because you're so invested:

01100000000000144726703877736_s.jpg 

That's all I can say without spoiling anything. ;)

On a gameplay point of view, I was never bored. A few corridors are perhaps too long which might make backtracking a chore, but there are methods of fast travel available. Random battles are never a pain in the arse when travelling - in fact, I had to go looking for a few more when I needed the cash to buy a certain item. The gameplay is easy if you have the right items, and just the right challenge if not - I never found myself getting irritated or frustrated at any point. The combat system, especially later, is very much a tool to help with telling the story, and as such it's clearly by design that certain things are in place to deliberately not frustrate or impede at key points.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not perfect: Some might find the battles too easy, and the pacifist approach is less articulate than the biggest fans say; they seem to put over that you can make genuine friendships and have meaningful chats as part of the "battle" - you can't, it's basically a traditional combat system in all but name. ;) And once you know how to beat a certain class of enemy, you do so in the exact same way each time. The story is also, aside from the prologue, a bit of a slow starter, but that prologue is, I think, unique and interesting enough to keep you going through those next couple of hours.

All in all, then, I can't remember the last time I felt such an emotional response to playing a game. Maybe I never have. Maybe I'm still riding the wave and in a few days my opinion will change. But as of right now? It's a game that's just the right length, with (for me) just the right balance of difficulty, that somehow, using methods that are sometimes even genuinely unsettling, manages to roll the mind back to a more innocent, emotional time. I feel like a wrestling fan who has somehow managed to forget it's all predetermined and is cheering on their fave musclechap. :lol:

In contrast, I also finished Final Fantasy VIII yesterday (with all GFs and every character at Lv. 100 - I surprisingly liked the Draw system!), and despite enjoying the gameplay, when the credits had rolled, I made this face:

0nXqtBA.jpg

But when Undertale had finished, I made this face:

fghfhg.gif

Spot on. :)

Despite all the (frankly wrong) presumptions, glad you played it. That's the most important thing. This game deserves the attention of everyone to play it, it's why I bother to keep it bumped. Judging by my Steam friends list and especially Steam Secret Santa this year, I'd say my job is pretty much done. The majority of Rllmuk has embraced it. :)

2 hours ago, Brother Tendo said:

All in all, then, I can't remember the last time I felt such an emotional response to playing a game.

Jackpot.

2 hours ago, Shoes said:

It's just so wonderful. If you don't like the characters, you won't like the game. It's a narrative experience, and I have zero desire to do a genocide run, which by all accounts turns it into a depressing slog of an RPG.

Genocide does offer some extra lore and feels, but it's certainly bad feels for it's majority. I'd say everyone should do play through all 3 main routes at least once. If only to re-realize just how amazing this game is each time.

The game is great - nay, amazing - in spite of the awful fan stuff you regularly bump the thread with; raps and memes? I'm glad Earthbound wasn't released in this age and I'm glad I played Undertale day one before this twee culture grew around it, threatening to suffocate all of the soul and surprise out of the game.

On 06/01/2017 at 17:30, Rob Rule said:

The game is great - nay, amazing - in spite of the awful fan stuff you regularly bump the thread with; raps and memes? I'm glad Earthbound wasn't released in this age and I'm glad I played Undertale day one before this twee culture grew around it, threatening to suffocate all of the soul and surprise out of the game.

All fandom at the end of the day, to me, is love. It's noones problem if you dislike raps and memes. Suffocate the soul? More like expand it to lengths never thought imaginable.

As for spoilers, that's the viewers fault. Most videos of the game have said time and time again to play before viewing their videos, that still stands today as it did on release day. Obviously the older and ingrained something is, it's harder to avoid. But to a certain extent, Undertale was never quite: Snape kills Dumbledore, or 'I am your father' in that department anyway. You'd only care if you started actually playing, in my view. :)

Anyhow, back to more sharing of love.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

How long is this game? I've been intrigued by it but never really felt the urge to play, mainly due to RPGs being quite long. 

Not long. I think my son took 6 hours on his first run. I'd say 20 tops to complete every single route, though you might not want to bother with genocide. 

On 1/6/2017 at 17:30, Rob Rule said:

On 1/9/2017 at 14:55, NEG said:

All fandom at the end of the day, to me, is love. It's noones problem if you dislike raps and memes. Suffocate the soul? More like expand it to lengths never thought imaginable.

It's the fan stuff in this thread that actively puts me off wanting to try this game. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Is this ever going to be released on anything else ffs? Would be perfect for the Vita or Switch.

I imagine if you've played it a certain segment of the game for 2 of the routes may prove to be a problem for consoles, though it could certainly be done another way perhaps and still have the same effect...

I'd love it to be on everything for sure.