IGNORED

Undertale

Shoes

• 2 months later...

It's a shame they've doubled-down on the ZANY ANNOYING FUCKHEAD aspects in the trailer, but still, good news. I still hold the belief that it's an incredibly charming game; both heart-wrenchingly melancholic and totally hilarious.

IT IS GUYS, TRUST ME.

And with a Japanese translation I bet it'll be fucking huge there.

:omg::omg::omg:

I wish I could pos that trailer more then once. :)

Vita love as well. Doesn't get much better. :omg:

Edit: Switch, and every other console from now to the end of time plz. WIll buy them all.

Hmm, I was actually looking at this on Steam quite recently after seeing it in a bunch of played/recommended feed content. If it gets left behind in my summer sale priorities I might wait for the console release.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yup, and it also has a little extra not currently in the PC version (though I haven't looked up if there's even more little additions since the Eurogamer preview a few days back)

Will have to wait. Anyone new to the game please enjoy, and don't look up spoilers!

Edit: and that eurogamer preview is huge spoilers, part of the reason I haven't linked.

On 13/06/2017 at 16:15, Qazimod said:

Hmm, I was actually looking at this on Steam quite recently after seeing it in a bunch of played/recommended feed content. If it gets left behind in my summer sale priorities I might wait for the console release.

Surprise, it got left behind. I'd still like to try the PS4 release after I'm done with Mania (if my wallet funds can stretch that far) - I'd kind of like to see what NEG has been banging on about all this time I've been missing out on :) 

Okay, I still have more of Mania to look at, but I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would. It feels like some kind of RPG/adventure/VN hybrid, but it emphasises the bits in RPGs I enjoy (character interactions and environmental riddles) whilst making the stuff I usually find tedious (turn-based battles) entertaining and fun in its own way. Also it's a lot more "game-y" than I expected - I feared that it would lean more towards walking and talking, but there's lots to do.

Oh, and I finally get what people are talking about with the subversion as well... there were plenty of times where I drew a sharp intake of breath and expected something way more tedious and chorelike than what I got, and there were moments where seemingly innocent situations turned hellish fast. :D I've seen a final boss and credits sequence already (boss name spoiler follows)...

Flowey

...but I know there's extra stuff to be seen if you play the game in different ways so I'll have to go back. Oh, one other twist I quite liked towards the end of my route was

LV: Level of Violence. Cue me looking at the number and feeling like a monster

21 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Okay, I still have more of Mania to look at, but I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would. It feels like some kind of RPG/adventure/VN hybrid, but it emphasises the bits in RPGs I enjoy (character interactions and environmental riddles) whilst making the stuff I usually find tedious (turn-based battles) entertaining and fun in its own way. Also it's a lot more "game-y" than I expected - I feared that it would lean more towards walking and talking, but there's lots to do.

Oh, and I finally get what people are talking about with the subversion as well... there were plenty of times where I drew a sharp intake of breath and expected something way more tedious and chorelike than what I got, and there were moments where seemingly innocent situations turned hellish fast. :D I've seen a final boss and credits sequence already (boss name spoiler follows)...

Reveal hidden contents

Flowey

...but I know there's extra stuff to be seen if you play the game in different ways so I'll have to go back. Oh, one other twist I quite liked towards the end of my route was

Reveal hidden contents

LV: Level of Violence. Cue me looking at the number and feeling like a monster

It's 3 main types of ending. The middle road has hundreds of variations depending on what you 'do' but is basically the same thing with different stuff said at the end. For more actual story you'll need to...

Spoiler

Don't kill anyone, or kill everyone. You monster.

Play it as you would normally first, killing/sparing as you see fit, but I heartily recommend a pacifist run after. It's legitimately wonderful and changes the entire story. And don't be afraid to use a guide to get a 'perfect' run - there are so many obscure moments I'd have missed if I hadn't used a guide.

Still one of my favourite games ever.

I'd already started a pacifist run almost as soon as my first playthrough was over, because after that reveal I mentioned up there I had to see how the scene changed. Familiarity with the first playthrough meant that it didn't take too long to get to where I needed to be, and sparing enemies wasn't too bad because it doesn't take too long to exhaust the available actions (the first Persona had something similar to this game's ACT menu, except it was way too elaborate for its own good.) There were a few battles that were pretty tough with such a small amount of HP (such as

Spoiler

Undyne's reverse DDR hell)

but save points are always generously placed. The main thing I was worried about was the events outside of battles - the last thing I wanted was to fuck up a dialogue that made an event impossible to trigger, but the game's actually quite generous with this and you can leave a lot of events untouched and still go back and trigger them when you're at the endgame. So I pretty much got the pacifist battle hell out of the way, opened up the gameworld and then went back to try and find the events. I think my favourite event that I saw was the

Spoiler

Undyne date

but they were all pretty brilliant. Oh and as for the whole other gameplay part of the true ending that I kind of have to spoilerise:

Spoiler

The True Lab was really interesting. It was all pretty creepy and the backstory behind Determination was cool :D 

EDIT:

I don't think I emphasised it enough here but: the final battle of the pacifist run. Dat music. Dem feels. God damn. :wub:

I'm about 3 1/2 hours into it, in some fire/lava world, and I've just unlocked the 'Final Stretch II' trophy. I know the game needs to be replayed a few times, but is this really the end, or are the trophy names misleading (it wouldn't surprise me :lol:)?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...