rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Coen Brothers' Hail Caesar! - Brolin, Clooney, Swinton, Johansson

From /film - looks fantastic and bloody hell at that cast.

Working Title has just dropped the first trailer for Hail, Caesar!, Joel and Ethan Coen‘s not-quite-musicalfarce set in the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Josh Brolin plays studio fixer Eddie Manix, whose crazy day gets a whole lot crazier when a movie star (played by George Clooney) gets abducted. The all-star cast also includes Ralph Fiennes, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, Alden Ehrenreich, and Frances McDormand.

• Upvote 3

Saw this last night. It is really funny, whole audience was crying. Was full of fans though, and it is a very Coen film. There's some amazing physical comedy too.

• Upvote 1

I saw it at the weekend. It was okay, fairly midtier Cohen's for me. Think the trailer had me overly hyped. The ending is very abrupt, was expecting another hour!

With the exception of the pointless narration, I pretty much loved this from start to finish. Loved the look of it, the tributes to the films of the 50's, the acting and the laughs. Fantastic.

I'll definitely see it again before it closes. 

• Upvote 1

This didn't quite hang together for me. The individual set pieces were good, some of the performances great, but the film felt like a sketch show rather than a coherent whole. It didn't have the pathos of their best work like fargo and a serious man.

• Upvote 2

It was a gentle homage and send up of 50s Hollywood; I'm not sure a whole heap of pathos would have improved it.

It is almost a series of sketches, there is no real great narrative drive to it. I think that'll make it fairly marmite, but I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I didn't think it was one of the Coens best. It felt very disjointed and while each individual story was good, it didn't really gel together as a whole. A shame, because it looks amazing.

Hmm, this might be one of those films that needs a good audience. It was mildly amusing rather than funny and I don't think there was a single laugh from the audience I saw it with.

Good performances and cinematography but the script wasn't there. And yes, very abrupt ending.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm a no on this one too, it just didn't have enough of a story to it to hang all the set pieces on. I kept expecting it to go somewhere and it didn't.

The friend I went to see it with even confessed had they been by themselves they would have walked out.

Mid tier Coens is God tier most everyone else. Fiennes as Hollywood Director Rigsby is amazing and I hope Johansson does more Coen Brothers.

It's a bit like a posh Kentucky Fried Movie, which I'm pretty happy with.

It was alright, not as bad as the dark days of Intolerable Cruelty or The Ladykillers, but pretty far down the Cohen list. Felt almost like a pilot for a TV sketch show than a movie. It was alright, looked nice, some good moments, but a bit of a step-down after the brilliance of Inside Llewelyn. Although I could happily watch Ralph Fiennes do his comedy schtick for hours and hours. 

It almost seemed like the movie equivalent of a book of short stories rather than a full novel/proper film, as it were. It's not often I say this, but I think it would have been better if they'd doubled the running time and spent a lot longer with each character!

• Upvote 1

I had a full house crowd of white middle classers for my screen but it really felt like a split reaction. Muffled chuckles here and there and zero guffaws. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it could really have used an ending. 

Lot's of genuine laughter at the screening I was at, although it petered out during the last act.  It's an odd one, I consistently enjoyed it as I was watching it, but equally I feel hard-pressed to recommend it without attaching an obligatory 'seriously though, it's just a bunch of vignettes' disclaimer that makes me sound derisory of the whole thing.

I really enjoyed it on the strength of Ralph Fiennes and Channing Tatum alone. Is there anything that Tatum can't do?

Tatum is the new Christopher Walken, cropping up randomly mid movie.

also, see Hateful Eight. 

On 10/03/2016 at 7:03 PM, oli said:

Is there anything that Tatum can't do?

Catch something while holding on to something else, apparently.

• Upvote 3