Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I've not even got round to watching series 2 yet :(

 

Its pretty good. Nowhere near as good as the two books it represents as it compresses it quite a lot and merges a few characters. That’s inevitable really. I hope the move to Netflix means bigger budgets. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 episodes in and just picks up perfectly where it left off. Not sure about any change in budget / quality with it being on Netflix as it started there before going to BBC, but I have never felt it has lacked anything.

 

Alexander Dreymon should be doing more stuff, he is class!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MardiganX said:

2 episodes in and just picks up perfectly where it left off. Not sure about any change in budget / quality with it being on Netflix as it started there before going to BBC, but I have never felt it has lacked anything.

 

Alexander Dreymon should be doing more stuff, he is class!

 

I feel there is a bit more blood and gore on Netflix.  I'm hope Netflix is promoting properly.  This wasn't even showing on my homepage, which was pushing Narcos.  I had to search for it.  Maybe that's because I've watch the last two seasons on BBC?  I'm ok with this level of budget, if it means they can keep it going for longer.  They still stage the battle scenes very well and convey tactics better than most other shows.  

 

With the pace the story, I wonder if they will have to recast or age people up to keep going.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

oh my god and it's my day off tomorrow!:omg:

 

I've got a huge soft spot for this this show - it was the first piece of entertainment/ art that I was able to really enjoy and escape to after a pretty awful break up, I'm glad it's not just me that's a big fan. Anyway thanks for the heads up. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timbuktu said:

 

I feel there is a bit more blood and gore on Netflix.  I'm hope Netflix is promoting properly.  This wasn't even showing on my homepage, which was pushing Narcos.  I had to search for it.  Maybe that's because I've watch the last two seasons on BBC?  I'm ok with this level of budget, if it means they can keep it going for longer.  They still stage the battle scenes very well and convey tactics better than most other shows.  

 

With the pace the story, I wonder if they will have to recast or age people up to keep going.  

 

Yeah, that was something I was thinking (again) last night. While the battles are very grounded and strategic they never lose their sense of spectacle or excitement and that is an impressive achievement when this is going up against the likes of Game of Thrones, Vikings and even Spartacus to an extent (well for me anyway).

 

Up to end of episode 3 chat...

Spoiler

Seeing Uhtred reunited with Ragnar and Breeda was just beautiful. Like every single line carried meaning and I swear my heart is going to shatter if either Ragnar dies or Uhtred turns from him. Their relationship is one of the most authentic things in the show for me. Not just amazing characters but very clever guys portraying them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The first season of Vikings is still my favourite drama of its type (of any type), but I've come to prefer this to its last few seasons.

 

I think both are guilty of realising they need a certain amount of narrative padding and then failing to curb its dominance. Episode 8 minor spoiler:

 

 

Skade

 

The Last Kingdom's fight choreo's also much better than Vikings' for me, although both have to cater to the unrealism of main-cast survival for the most part. Something that I'm sure TLK's smaller budget often helps diminish, with fewer combatants on less-than-ideal terrain. And its characters are currently far more interwoven, with some lovely exchanges.

 

That's one of the main things that appeals to me about dramas from this period: everyone needs cooperation because the largest armies only number in the thousands. Game of Thrones is really topsy-turvy in that regard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started reading the books and there's a bit at the end of each where the author tells you which people/events/locations were based on what we know of the history and what he added/changed/moved around to suit the addition of Uthred's narrative - a surprising amount of it is the former.

 

Spoiler: Æthelwold is a hottie in the books

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2018 at 14:43, Nobuo's Organ said:

I've started reading the books and there's a bit at the end of each where the author tells you which people/events/locations were based on what we know of the history and what he added/changed/moved around to suit the addition of Uthred's narrative - a surprising amount of it is the former.

 

Spoiler: Æthelwold is a hottie in the books

 

Reading up the history, the only thing that stood out was that Æthelred (the Mercian guy) don't sound like he was as much of a weasel or dickhead as he is in the series.  I wish there is a bit more grey to him really, he is a bit cartoonish in how unredeemable he is.

 

On 11/12/2018 at 00:02, mechamonkey said:

Is noone else watching this on Netflix?
Personally I'm in love with it,  it's still got that personal touch GoT lacked in the weekly attempt to beat last weeks grandeur even though its vastly different subject matter apart from the muck and swords aspect.

 

I do enjoy this show more than GoT nowadays and I am a bit worried Netflix isn't promoting it enough and haven't said anything about season 4.  The show wasn't on my Netflix front page, although that might be because I watched previous seasons on BBC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think they would generate more buzz releasing this gradually, I'd already watched it all on day one or two.

 

There must another series, or someone should be arrested for criminal under use of The Actor Kevin Eldon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying season three, but the pervasive air of grimness (and griminess, they captured that well), combined with Uhtred’s Greek tragedy arc means I can’t do more than one episode at a time. With Skade, I’m guessing that...

 

her ‘magic’ is much like voodoo, in that it can only harm the person she’s targeting if they believe that it can. Uhtred believes he’s cursed, and starts physically manifesting his own symptoms of weakness, fever, etc. Similarly he believes Brida can protect him, and so he recovers under her company. It’s like weaponised placebo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I’ve devoured this and am just coming to the end of the 3rd series. Absolutely fantastic, and can’t believe that I slept on this. However I was watching a few similar things (Vikings). Have ordered the first few books as well, the comments in here about being drawn to the side of the characters is spot on, the dialogue is fantastic and the world-building is even more believable as England contorts

around the hopes and pain of it’s leaders.

 

I was going to start GoT after this but after reading the comments in here, I think I’ll give Spartacus a go :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mars said:

I’ve devoured this and am just coming to the end of the 3rd series. Absolutely fantastic, and can’t believe that I slept on this. However I was watching a few similar things (Vikings). Have ordered the first few books as well, the comments in here about being drawn to the side of the characters is spot on, the dialogue is fantastic and the world-building is even more believable as England contorts

around the hopes and pain of it’s leaders.

 

I was going to start GoT after this but after reading the comments in here, I think I’ll give Spartacus a go :)

 

YES!! Spartacus next and GoT can wait. Make sure you do it in Season order and not chronological order though :)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mars said:

Can you explain that? Just to make sure I understand it :)

 

Blood and Sand is season 1. Then Gods of the Arena, season 2 is a prequel. Season 3 Vengeance then picks up pretty much immediately from the end of season 1 but also very cleverly brings together characters and plot threads from the prequel stuff. Then season 4 War of the Damned follows Vengeance and concludes it.

 

The prequel season was originally made as a buffer before season 2 as the main actor who played Spartacus, Andy Whitfield, was battling cancer at the time. Sadly, Andy Whitfield passed away and Liam McIntyre took over the role from season 2. At the time it was quite jarring mainly because Andy Whitfield was absolutely incredible as Spartacus and him passing was devastating at the time but McIntyre grows really went into the role and the other main characters are every bit as good.

 

Where TV shows these days quite often drags things out a bit long or fail to maintain quality Spartacus is just 4 seasons of fucking awesome. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 months later...

It’s back and two episodes in its just as blood thirsty and engagingly dark as ever. A little quicker from the get go than season 3 to grab the attention too (I got a bit bored with all the Skade stuff which felt like a plot line going no where which turned out to be the case).

 

Bloody great cliff hanger ending to the second episode too...getting a real Ramsey Bolton vibe to Utred’s newly discovered cousin

Link to post
Share on other sites

yayyyy! love this show. Really good series so far, though the violence and sex seems out of place. Spend the money on location scouts please!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this elsewhere and it kind of blew my mind that the actress who plays Lady Aelswith is 26 years old and the same age as the one playing her daughter Aethelflaed. 

 

 

She would have been only 20 -21 when she started in that role.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 1... ”I hadn’t realised how much you had grown” :lol:

 

As always, not a wasted scene in sight with even the simplest exchanges between characters carrying meaning. So happy this is back!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I don’t think it’s that close to the books beyond broad strokes. Enjoyed the new season a lot, hope it gets renewed. Wonder if they are going to do a time jump, I suspect not, which might make the later books awkward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.