IGNORED

Charlie Kaufman's Anomalisa - Trailer

Goose

This has so far scored unanimous acclaim. It receives a limited release at the end of December.

In the film, Michael Stone (David Thewlis) is an author of books on the subject of customer service who struggles with his inability to connect to people and ultimately feels crippled by the mundanity of his life. One night, while on a routine business trip, he meets a stranger who changes his world view.
The voice cast of Anomlisa includes David Thewlis (The Theory of Everything, The Zero Theorem, the Harry Potter films) as lead character Michael and Jennifer Jason Leigh (The Hateful Eight, Synecdoche, New York, eXistenZ) as his love interest Lisa, while noted character actor Tom Noonan (The House of the Devil, Manhunter, “Hell on Wheels”) voices every other character in the film. Kaufman and Johnson produced along with Dino Stamatopoulos and Rosa Tran.

Synedoche New York, it's one of those films that, depending on who you speak to, is either a towering achievement, totally inspired and utter genius, or the epitome of self-indulgent twaddle. For me it trod a very fine line between the two. If you're in the mood for it, it will blow you away, but if you have a low tolerance for high-concept pretension you will probably have a bad time.

I spent about three hours explaining Adaptation. to my girlfriend, like a media studies teacher. It's fantastic.

Synecdoche, too. Haven't seen Malkovich for a bit, but assume it holds up. Sunshine is a masterpiece. Human Nature was pretty awful, but still.

Didn't know this was finished; trailer looks stunning. And Carter Burwell scores!

• 2 months later...

I was the opposite. For me it's probably my favourite of his films, really loved it.

Spoiler

I didn't realise till after watching it that Anomalisa was the sex toy all along.

What? I watched it last week and don't know what you mean.

Spoiler

The sex toy he bought was Amonalisa. So she was imaginary? I was wondering if she was real or not but in the end nothing led me to believe that was true