IGNORED

RLLMUK's Top 100 TV Shows Results: #1 in your referendum

Treble

{Honourable Mentions} Life in the Freezer; Peaky Blinders; Springwatch; Star Trek [The Original Series]; The Word

Kicking off, we have Lordcookie’s nudge for inclusion: Life in the Freezer. Another of David Attenborough’s peerless nature documentaries, this one focuses on the Antarctic and is an astonishing look at a climate almost as hostile as an alien world.

Jonamok, on the other hand, gave a shout out to Peaky Blinders – a UK imitation of Boardwalk Empire! Just kidding. I’ve never seen the thing and don’t have clue one about it except what I’ve seen in adverts. The IMDB says, “A gangster family epic set in 1919 Birmingham, England and centred on a gang who sew razor blades in the peaks of their caps, and their fierce boss Tommy Shelby, who means to move up in the world.”

Vicious gang warfare with Brummie accents? Sounds like a Midlands football derby.

The documentary / magazine show Springwatch, as voted for by MarkN, takes an annual look at British wildlife and follows its development. Fronted by the singular Bill Odie in the past, Chris Packham now has presenting duties – a guy whose outspoken nature has got him into some trouble recently and who I very much admire – and the fact it's live meaning the animal action is not always as gentle and comfy a viewing experience as you’d expect. Appealing to the naturalist in all all of us (not naturist, you at the back taking his shirt off) its quintessentially British entertainment.

Who isn’t a fan of Star Trek: The Shat years? Well, quite a few of you, clearly, as it’s so low down the poll, but that doesn't stop ToS being a great show. In many ways it’s similar to The Twilight Zone, with a self-contained story format that’s frequently eerie and unsettling until the final reveal. Swap “the devil caused it” with “the warp engines caused it” and hey presto, your script is suddenly sparking Gene Rodenberry’s interest, not Rod Serling’s.

Voted for by Benny, who said this, “The mother of all modern science fiction series is still one of the best ever made. It dealt with hard sci-fi concepts right from the very first series and still shames modern science fiction shows with its writing, characters and willingness to tackle complex moral subjects. It was also shown at just the right time on BBC2 to catch it and I watched it religiously. TNG didn't quite live up to it when it was shown later.”

There are a few quirky choices that pop up in this list, and leading the charge is Fusty Gusset’s first selection – Channel 4’s The Word.

Broadcast in the early 90s and infamous for its ‘The Hopefuls’ segment, where people who would “do anything to get on TV” (including snogging Grannies and drinking vomit) it also showcased the questionable talents of presenters Terry Christian, Amanda de Cadenet and Dani Behr. Lucky us, eh? It wasn’t all bad though, with some decent bands playing live (including L7 sans knickers and an early Nirvana appearance) and a handful of witty interludes and interjections from Mark Lamarr. Charmless and notorious, it was unquestionably different. And, just occasionally, quite exciting.

Edit: due to a stealth edit I wasn't aware of, DS9 appears at a different point in the list. If you've edited your list and not warned me, just to let you know it's too late to adjust things now, so no moaning if your show doesn't get a shout!

Solid opener!

Hell yes, if I had bothered voting, I'd have had it in my list. Together with a couple of other anime series.

I reckon Gurren Lagann and Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex: 1st Gig will be in with a shout, knowing the denizens of the anime thread.

Edit: due to a stealth edit I wasn't aware of, DS9 appears at a different point in the list. If you've edited your list and not warned me, just to let you know it's too late to adjust things now, so no moaning if your show doesn't get a shout!

Uh oh... (I edited my list a couple of times over the month. Assumed you'd take a snapshot at the end, as that's how I tend to do things :/)

This has started well :(

Look, if enough people have gone back and edited I'll start over and re-do the list. I did ask people to let me know if they edited, although it wasn't front and centre in the first post (apologies). I don't have a lot of time, so updating my tracker little and often is the only way I can keep up.

So please, everyone let me know if they've changed their list, and we'll see how much needs to be flipped around.

I'm not going to pretend I'm not upset at the numbering (joint 95th, not 99th, or otherwise Cowboy Bepop is 104th) but as I didn't vote, I shall just mutter to myself. Publically. And legibly.

If you can explain that to me, we could maybe look at revising things? Not being twattish, but I genuinely don't understand how scrubbing four positions is fair when they all have the same score, and no other way of weighting the results.

It's so that you actually end up with 100 shows rather than 100 places if that makes sense.

Then again I don't know why someone would have any issue about that at all- seems like such a tiny thing to bother complaining about. I like the way you're doing things- genuinely interested to see which shows make the top ten as well, I've got some guesses but I'm sure they're wrong.

A top 100 has 100 items. If an item is "the 100th best" then there can only be 99 better items, by definition, right?

Grouping breaks that implication if you don't also skip over unused places. For example, if two clubs are inseparable at the top of the Premier League come the end of the season, the team below them doesn't finish second. You have two in joint first, then one in third.

So too here. Five shows in joint 95th means the show below them must be in 100th.

But don't let my grumpy self get in the way, I'm just anal about generally useless things like that. :P

Unless you choose to group down - as I do - and give joint worst place rather than joint best. But yeah, I've no issue with Treble's system, of each grouping occupying a single slot, it's pretty fun. I'm actually tempted to adopt it myself in future.

Ok chaps & non-chaps, I've gone back to the well and re-jigged & re-counted, and we now have only 114 entries. The entries above - being 14 & 15 points respectively - have dropped out of the top 100, which now starts at 17 points.

So apologies to those who voted for those, but I will leave them in the list and rebadge them as 'honourable mentions'. Expect the countdown to restart tomorrow and, if God is in his heavens, no more problems :)