His Dark Materials - Season 2 starts 8th November

FishyFish

Another one for the "where was the dried fish" fan club here. For me that was one of the most memorable things I read as a child/teen. To go from not knowing what a daemon is at the start of the book, to a single moment so powerful and affecting.. in what 100 pages or so? I put that up on a pedestal for how to create drama in a story from nothing for years. So disappointing to see them remove it altogether.

48 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Remind me, what’s the dried fish thing?

In the book they find another boy holding a dried fish, unwilling to let it go, like it's his daemon. He's had his should ripped from him and the only comfort he can find is that of a dried fish.

They kind of merged Billy and the other lad into one for the TV show but missed out the fish.

Just watching The Kid Who Would be King (not great tbh) and saw the lad who plays Will Parry in a non-speaking role as one of the background kids in the main characters’ school. Considering HDM must be his first proper role, he did a damn fine job.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, the first season is being pimped on iPlayer as UHD - I do want to watch on broadcast TV, as it’s pretty much the only thing I did watch live last year, but if it’s gonna be up on the iPlayer in 4K right after... :unsure:

Is it worth watching in 4K, @IcEBuRN?

22 minutes ago, Popo said:

Yes, the first season is being pimped on iPlayer as UHD - I do want to watch on broadcast TV, as it’s pretty much the only thing I did watch live last year, but if it’s gonna be up on the iPlayer in 4K right after... :unsure:

Is it worth watching in 4K, @IcEBuRN?

Yeah, It's proper 4k. Not upscaled, even on streaming, it looks great.

On 09/11/2020 at 16:03, Purin said:

There is an article on the BBC which quotes a Guardian reviewer DESCRIBING THE VERY FINAL MOMENT OF TH STORY! 

Fucking ruined it for me. Unbelievable. 

The one about what the Critics think? Its mentions something that happens in the episode nothing beyond that.

I had the laugh at the Telegraphs review

"If you are a newcomer looking for lockdown solace in an autumn drama, give this one a miss," she wrote. "It is aimed squarely at those who are familiar with the story from Philip Pullman's bestselling books, and who remember well the details of series one," 

Why would anyone be a newcomer and be starting with series 2? What a ridiculous thing to say. Also I didn't think the first epsiode of this series was that confusing for those who struggled a little with series 1 either. 

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

The one about what the Critics think? Its mentions something that happens in the episode nothing beyond that.

"If you are a newcomer looking for lockdown solace in an autumn drama, give this one a missIf you are a newcomer looking for lockdown solace in an autumn drama, give this one a miss," she wrote. "It is aimed squarely at those who are familiar with the story from Philip Pullman's bestselling books, and who remember well the details of series one," 

Why would anyone be a newcomer and be starting with season 2? What a ridiculous thing to say. Also I didn't think the first epsiode of this series was that confusing for those who struggled a little with series 1 either. 

Ah, is the very last scene the Guardian reviewer describes of the episode rather than the whole story? 

4 minutes ago, Purin said:

Ah, is the very last scene the Guardian reviewer describes of the episode rather than the whole story? 

Yeah, he was just commenting on Pan changing form at the end of the episode to scare the girls. Daemons can change form until their human becomes of adult age, at which point they settle on a permanent form.

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

Yeah, he was just commenting on Pan changing form at the end of the episode to scare the girls. Daemons can change form until their human becomes of adult age, at which point they settle on a permanent form.

Great, thanks! 

On 10/11/2020 at 21:15, Stigweard said:

"If you are a newcomer looking for lockdown solace in an autumn drama, give this one a missIf you are a newcomer looking for lockdown solace in an autumn drama, give this one a miss," she wrote. "It is aimed squarely at those who are familiar with the story from Philip Pullman's bestselling books, and who remember well the details of series one," 

Why would anyone be a newcomer and be starting with season 2? What a ridiculous thing to say. Also I didn't think the first epsiode of this series was that confusing for those who struggled a little with series 1 either. 

Only a psychopath would start a long form show mid run... 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know the books and although I'd guess I've half watched the film at some point I can't recall it.

Really enjoying this, the great cast helps and there is a reasonable amount going on in the story but the story just seems that bit more relaxing than other shows I've watched recently. It has multiple characters but it is largely following Lyra and I think this helps.