Jump to content

His Dark Materials - Season 2 starts 8th November


FishyFish
 Share

Recommended Posts

They've definitely upped the daemon budget this season, they're visible and active in far more scenes than they were in the first season. Vastly improves things, it's suprising how much difference that makes.

 

I'm finding the story a bit less engaging this time around. It's a bit bitty, jumping between characters a lot and lacking the sense of urgency that the first season had. I can't remember anything about the story from when I read the books 20+ years ago, but I do recall liking the second and third books a lot less than the first, so maybe it's just that Northern Lights is the most focussed of the three.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Northern Lights is definitely the most focussed book, as far as I can remember at least. The series actually loosened that focus a bit by adding in the Will stuff, but it still worked.

 

I'm enjoying this season more than the first so far though, and it helps that I can barely remember any details about The Subtle Knife. The Cave brought back a hazy memory but that's about it. The rest feels unknown and exciting. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

Northern Lights is definitely the most focussed book, as far as I can remember at least. The series actually loosened that focus a bit by adding in the Will stuff, but it still worked.

 

I'm enjoying this season more than the first so far though, and it helps that I can barely remember any details about The Subtle Knife. The Cave brought back a hazy memory but that's about it. The rest feels unknown and exciting. :D

That's what I'm finding. As well as the book, I'd listen to the radio version and watch the film of first book.  While I enjoyed reading the two sequels, it's all very fuzzy memories. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Death's Head said:

Shamefully,  I never read the third despite buying the lovely big hardback. I really ought to go back to them as I'd love to read the more recent ones he's written. 

I really enjoyed the new books, especially the second one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

I really enjoyed the new books, especially the second one.

 

I'm about 3 chapters from finishing and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed La Belle Savage too but this one is better.

 

As someone who loves the books and listened to the audiobooks I'm really enjoying the TV series. Even the small changes made haven't bugged me all that much either. The casting is perfect too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not buying Lee Scorsby or the Bears love for Lyra, which is is a shame..I couldn't even remember Lee and Lyra sharing a scene.

 

However the last scene was brilliant.

 

I also read the books about 20 years ago, I remember much more about the third book and have no idea how they are going to film it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The third book, assuming they do film it, is going to be a hard sell, but could be amazing if they get it right.

 

Dust as a concept is already a little tricky to follow, so throw in the kinds of new stuff (which is pretty bonkers) you get in the third book and you risk a lot of people going WTF - that was more or less my wife's reaction when I reminded her of what happened.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Brilliant episode. They’re being remarkably faithful to the book (from memory), and it looks like they won’t shy away from the themes of the third book. So happy with this adaptation.


Yes, this was the episode where the big theme moved into the foreground. Grumman’s speech about control vs freedom and the angels’ conversation with Mary made me very happy indeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 25/11/2020 at 22:02, Stigweard said:

 

I'm about 3 chapters from finishing and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed La Belle Savage too but this one is better.

 

As someone who loves the books and listened to the audiobooks I'm really enjoying the TV series. Even the small changes made haven't bugged me all that much either. The casting is perfect too.


Only caught up to episode two, but I’m really liking this show. The Subtle Knife has always been the favourite book of the lot. It might be that I was the right age when it came out; I loved Will and Lyra and it’s those scenes that I enjoy most here too; I loved the surprise of having our world that makes it feel grounded. 

I might have been too old for the third book and it felt a bit more abstract, I only remember the very end. And I am a bit disappointed with Pullman’s new series too, the first book was less of an adventure and feels less like a fantasy; the second one I had a lot of issues with and I’m worried the next one with steer into a lot of orientalism.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the "here's the top 5 facts about the Subtile Knife" intro was atypically clumsy.  They could have intertwined those elements with the three characters that did Subtile Knife explainerthons. 

 

Enjoyed the rest though.  Particularly like the job  Simone Kirby and Ariyon Bakare are doing this season.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haven't read the books and I'm watching this with my kids, 10 & 9, and we enjoy it but I have to admit I'm struggling with some points and that in turn is making it hard when they ask questions.

 

Dust/Dark matter/angels? Is this as in god's angels type thing? And they appear to cause vengeance? On who? And they are in all the world's we have seen?

 

Any help appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, memories said:

Haven't read the books and I'm watching this with my kids, 10 & 9, and we enjoy it but I have to admit I'm struggling with some points and that in turn is making it hard when they ask questions.

 

Dust/Dark matter/angels? Is this as in god's angels type thing? And they appear to cause vengeance? On who? And they are in all the world's we have seen?

 

Any help appreciated.


All will be revealed in due course but if we tell you now they’ll be spoilers (and will sound a bit bonkers out of context). Basically the third book/series is all about what you’ve asked here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Timbuktu said:


Only caught up to episode two, but I’m really liking this show. The Subtle Knife has always been the favourite book of the lot. It might be that I was the right age when it came out; I loved Will and Lyra and it’s those scenes that I enjoy most here too; I loved the surprise of having our world that makes it feel grounded. 

I might have been too old for the third book and it felt a bit more abstract, I only remember the very end. And I am a bit disappointed with Pullman’s new series too, the first book was less of an adventure and feels less like a fantasy; the second one I had a lot of issues with and I’m worried the next one with steer into a lot of orientalism.  
 

 

 

I've just finished Secret Commonwealth and really enjoyed it. There's a couple thing I didn't like but on the whole I enjoyed the journey. I'd be intresred to know what it was you didn't like in the official thread.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Darren said:


All will be revealed in due course but if we tell you now they’ll be spoilers (and will sound a bit bonkers out of context). Basically the third book/series is all about what you’ve asked here.

Ahh, that's fair enough them and thanks for not spoiling, I was thinking that it was trying to explain it last night when the focus was on Mary.

 

Knowing we are supposed to confused somehow makes it better.

 

Had this been given a 3rd series?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/11/2020 at 07:53, Pete said:

I'm not buying Lee Scorsby or the Bears love for Lyra, which is is a shame..I couldn't even remember Lee and Lyra sharing a scene.

 

However the last scene was brilliant.

 

I also read the books about 20 years ago, I remember much more about the third book and have no idea how they are going to film it. 

 

Have to say I agree on the Lee/Lyra point and it's been a while since I read the books so it's probably much more fleshed out in there. I was watching last nights and equally thinking where did this love come from? I recall they sat in a bar in Trollesund (?) for a scene but can't remember any others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, memories said:

Ahh, that's fair enough them and thanks for not spoiling, I was thinking that it was trying to explain it last night when the focus was on Mary.

 

Knowing we are supposed to confused somehow makes it better.

 

Had this been given a 3rd series?

It's not a spolier to say each book chapter starts with a quote from Paradise Lost, and this episode was the first to really touch on those themes. I've actually read Paradise Lost, because of His Dark Materials and that really was Pullman's plan all along.

 

Best episode I thought by a long way, it was superb. Andrew Scott is amazing when he actually pulls it back a bit isn't he?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, revol said:

 

Have to say I agree on the Lee/Lyra point and it's been a while since I read the books so it's probably much more fleshed out in there. I was watching last nights and equally thinking where did this love come from? I recall they sat in a bar in Trollesund (?) for a scene but can't remember any others.

 

Yeah, I would say the show hasn't done the best job of showing their relationship. She did travel with in his airballoon for a time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s been really great, my favourite scene from the whole trilogy is in Subtle Knife, one with Lee, we’ve not seen it yet. 

 

Spoiler

Yes, and I think they are pushing the Lee storyline and his relationship with Lyra at pace due to this. The book did that scene beautifully despite its absolute tragedy (assume it's the same one you are thinking of). Given how well they are doing this series, I can only hope they give it the justice it deserves.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, revol said:

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Yes, and I think they are pushing the Lee storyline and his relationship with Lyra at pace due to this. The book did that scene beautifully despite its absolute tragedy (assume it's the same one you are thinking of). Given how well they are doing this series, I can only hope they give it the justice it deserves.

 

Yes we’re definitely thinking of the same one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.