His Dark Materials - Season 2 starts 8th November

FishyFish

• 2 months later...

We’ve watched the first three episodes tonight. It’s been a while since I read the books so while I think they’re changing a few of the details

Spoiler

I thought Mrs Coulter didn’t survive this long, and I’m pretty sure that interdimensional hovercraft thing wasn’t in the books at all, for example

they’re absolutely nailing the key events and themes. I’m steeling myself now for that scene in the final episode.

I also can’t decide whether Dafne Keen is a good or terrible actor but she has a magnetic presence whenever she’s on screen.

It's very daring for a BBC Sunday night family drama. In the first few episodes we've already had

Spoiler

gay angels

god is just an angel pretending to be the creator oh and by the way he's so weak he's got another angel standing in for him

the church are fascists complete with their own soldiers

pre-emptive penance absolving crimes in advance

I can imagine a few of the Antiques Roadshow crowd spitting out their cocoa over this.

Finished. Definitely the best of the three seasons, some really great CG at times. It was always a lunatic endeavour to try and commit the story to film, and it frequently struggles in the adaptation. But they mostly hit the important notes with some good sequences and scenes. It’s always felt like it’s in a rush, possibly because it looks like an expensive luxurious HBO show while rattling along at the economical pace of a cheaper one. Overall a success, but never quite transcends the unfilmable nature of the books. 

I've been doing a rewatch of the first 2 seasons which I haven't quite finished yet.  The positive comments above are very pleasing can't wait.

Have only read the books in the last year, it will definitely be interesting how they manage to translate this one as things get quite out there in this book.

This isn't great is it? I've got one episode left and can't be bothered. It is a shame as they so much right, even the CGI and imagery is impressive, but it doesn't work for me. I'm sure the book didn't focus on Magisterium so much? I wish the BBC would turn off some of the lights as well, the sets do look cheap at times. I'm guessing by the quietness of the thread it's not just me.

I just finished this, and I absolutely loved it. The first book was always my favourite when I was younger, but I think the show got better as it went on and really came into its own for the third season.

It's been really nice to be able to talk about the story with my wife now too, as she hasn't read the books but the show was very faithful, as far as I can remember at least.

Spoiler

I'm really glad the show devoted a while episode to the ending, and didn't rush things after the battle. I have such a strong memory of finishing the last book, funnily enough just before being taken to a family meal around new years eve. :)

We finished it tonight and I thought it was great. The ending made me cry just as the book did at the same point so mission accomplished I suppose!

I think this final series could have been a few episodes longer so they didn’t have to get through everything at such a gallop. On the other hand, I’m glad they kept in all the key/controversial beats from the book but I’m sure non-readers will have been baffled by things like

Spoiler

The box that fell to earth when the mountain was destroyed, the Will cut open to reveal a frail old man who immediately disintegrated, about which nobody at any point said anything. You’d think

Spoiler

the death of God

would have had a bit more of a fuss made about it but obviously not!

But all in all it was as good as I could possibly have hoped an adaption might be.

Did the caption at the end hint at a Book of Dust series to follow?

5 hours ago, Darren said:

I think this final series could have been a few episodes longer so they didn’t have to get through everything at such a gallop. On the other hand, I’m glad they kept in all the key/controversial beats from the book but I’m sure non-readers will have been baffled by things like

Hide contents

The box that fell to earth when the mountain was destroyed, the Will cut open to reveal a frail old man who immediately disintegrated, about which nobody at any point said anything. You’d think

Hide contents

the death of God

would have had a bit more of a fuss made about it but obviously not!

As a non-reader, I had no problem with that.

Spoiler

They did enough explaining beforehand that the Authority (ie. God) is actually very weak and the other guy people are hearing as the voice of the Authority is just a messenger (Metatron).

Yeah I don't think they needed to labour that point. If anything it was actually more effective this way.

Spoiler

They explained earlier that the Authority was just an old angel, who has become so weak he had to appoint a regent to rule in his place, so the explanation was there.

It was completely fitting that his death was so low key. If you weren't paying attention you wouldn't even know who he was, which showed just how insignificant he was.

Finished it.  Loved it.

Spoiler

Slight disappointments - niggles.

No big killer swans on the Mulefa world, and I could have happily had them spend more time building up that world- I really liked that bit in the book, but I can see why adaption wise.

The land of the dead - felt a bit small in terms of people, felt like they were escaping with about 100 people, sort of lacked scale.