His Dark Materials - Season 2 starts 8th November

FishyFish

12 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Shave. He wants a UHD version. Why would he pay for a non-UHD iTunes version instead of the free iPlayer stream? 

Yeah I understand, I wasn’t suggesting they buy it on iTunes or anything - just that if it was available in UHD it would be there if anywhere. 

I hope it does come out eventually, I’m guessing it was shot at a higher resolution. 

I enjoyed 2 more than episode 1. It threw too much at you in that opening hour, but things have settled down.

Lyra is great and that 

Spoiler

fight between the daemons was superbly well done. I like how the monkey oozes menace with  a mere glare (just like its other half).

I'm hoping the Magisterium characters develop because at the moment they are two dimensional but it's a good hour of telly every weekend.

Great episode but I really don’t understand why they’ve showed Will’s world so early. The opening of the second book with the cat and the portal is one of my most fondly-remembered parts of the series and they’ve sort of trodden on it now. I can’t think what will even happen in that world between now and series 2. Maybe they’ll chuck in a Mary Malone cameo for shits and gigs. 

Also, you can explain it away with editing magic, but it was implied that the portal in Will’s world leads straight into Lyra’s, which isn’t true and will surely confuse people.

This was a really fantastic episode for me. As others have already said, it slowed the pace down and allowed the story and characters to breath. I knew she’d be excellent from the initial casting news but Ruth Wilson is even better than I’d hoped. Wonderful stuff.

I suspect the addition of the tears  so early is to allow non readers the time to understand and get familiar with the concept and the ride they’re about to go on. Fitting the Subtle Knife into just one season was always going to be a huge ask. This way they can lay the ground a bit.

I think it’s gonna get a bit intense in the next few weeks when the children get to the Station. Shudder.

However, as a book reader I think the introduction of the Subtle Knife portals ruins the build up for this book somewhat. Now the magic and mystery of these other worlds, only last week barely seen and potentially accessible through the Aurora, is rather ‘meh’ - this snake bloke’s got his own portal anyway! They’re probly all over the place.

1 hour ago, PK said:

Yeah, not the best reveal.  Opening season 2 in our Oxford with no explanation would have been great.

I found it a bit to discombobulating in the book, but maybe that's the point. I'd have preferred something in between what we had and

Spoiler

the realisation parallel worlds includes ours.

(Not sure that was worth spoilering.  Not sure of thread rules!)

Episode 3 was dull as. I know it’s due to budget, but it’s so distracting seeing a room of 100 people and not a single daemon in shot. Just a massive immersion buster.

Also the whole Parry crossover is getting confusing, and I’ve read the books. Nothing screams the magic of Northern Lights, with its armoured bears and flying witches, like a wheel-clamping sequence.

Really starting to worry about this now.

1 hour ago, davidcotton said:

Not seen a lot of it but I've got the same issue with the trailers revealing far too much of the next episode as I did with RTD's Doctor Who back in 2005.

You just have to turn it off as soon as "coming soon" appears. I've managed to go trailer-free so far by using this one simple trick.

Likewise - as soon as the 'next week' message appears the TV goes off.

I have read the books and know what happens (with the exceptions of the deviations from the texts, of course), but I want there to be a bit of a surprise to look forward.

That said, the next episode is apparently called

Armour

which gives a pretty heavy clue as to what will take place.

I have to say, having decided after one episode to not bother, a hole in our schedule and downloading habit has meant me and my wife have carried on after all with this and it's definitely grown on us I'm now up to typically-English feelings about it, like it's not too bad, and so on. And we also enjoyed watching 7 Worlds One Planet and getting the scary monkeys right alongside this.

4 hours ago, milko said:

my wife have carried on after all with this and it's definitely grown on us I'm now up to typically-English feelings about it, like it's not too bad.

It's not to badness continues until you become really quite fond of it. If it follows the book anyway.  There's a gentle moreishness to Pullman's storytelling.

I'm enjoying this although I've never read the books so going in blind, I didn't know that everyone had demons I just assumed that some did and some didn't, are CGI animals really that expensive to animate? 

Loved the Gyptians scenes as they were filmed just down the road from my house so that was pretty cool.

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

It's not to badness continues until you become really quite fond of it. If it follows the book anyway.  There's a gentle moreishness to Pullman's storytelling.

yeah I enjoyed the books, and saw Timothy Dalton ‘be’ Asrael in the big South Bank show which was amazing (dem puppets!), but I got really bored and restless in episode 1. It still happens a bit in the subsequent ones so far but not so much. 

40 minutes ago, Fletch said:

are CGI animals really that expensive to animate? 

I noticed quite a few seemed to have little moths and stuff, that must help. I thought they could’ve had more of them if they kept them out of the foreground at least. If they’re getting seen in any detail they’ll come at quite a cost to make convincing I should think. 

12 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Also, why not just use some animals without CGI? I don't remember Lassie glitching out.

Great idea. For the big crowd scenes just equip every actor with their own dog, cat, horse, mouse, eagle, butterfly, jaguar, crow, weasel or whatever.

Dead cheap and literally nothing could go wrong.

For the big crowds they could have used some puppets at least. Like in the restaurant scene, no one else had a demon with them. Surely a mix of some dogs and puppets would have been easy to do?

Lord Boreal's line about not always having deamons on show was a bit of a cop out really.

44 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Lord Boreal's line about not always having deamons on show was a bit of a cop out really.

I agree, and think it's a shame, but it's probably saved (or allowed them to use otherwise) millions of dollars on FX. I'd personally rather that fewer daemons be seen than have badly composited / animated ones for every character, or have to reduce the production in other ways.

17 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Also, why not just use some animals without CGI? I don't remember Lassie glitching out.

The problem with that approach is the the cg then has a much higher level to achieve by comparison.

Existing on it's own, one can suspend disbelief in the not-quite-realism of it, whether it's the lighting, fur or animation.

All of that is cast in sharp relief if the previous shot had a real animal in it, or worse, in the same shot.