Fallout 4 - PC performance, tweaking, modding

Guys if you're going to install any visual mods - look at this first

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1188/?- takes about 30 seconds to install, you just extract the files to the fallout 4 folder under steam apps/common (use the classic mode on the downloads page imo, the others are too dark)

Basically fixes the lighting/the game looking washed out - especially makes a massive difference with indoor lighting where it looks like brightness settings are up to max or something, At first you might not like it, but trust me, let it adjust and you can toggle the mode with the screen lock button on your keyboard - you'll vom when you go back to the og lighting shade

video 30 seconds in

1188-6-1447854122.jpg

1188-0-1447854189.jpg

The "can't see shit at night" mod returns.

Also, there is a texture mod out that apparently reduces vram usage by 25%, and the textures even look better. Bethesda should honestly just pay these modders to fix their games and implement the best mods into actual updates. Since they're basically forcing people to fix the issues anyway, might as well gather some good will out of it.

Yeah that reshade mod is good during the day but it makes late night or indoors creeping about bloody bloody dark and I don't like using the pipboy light because it minimizes my stealthiness :(

Also, I opted in for the steam beta patch and the reshade thing still works, so I'm hhoping it won't be a problem regarding official patches and mods.

I think I might stick to mod-less again for this run through and do a different playthrough in a few months when there's a super fix-all uber-mod, as I find it a massive ballache to find a 'good' one or alternatively to have to load in loads of mods. That list mentazm posted of the mods he uses just seems like a pain in the butt, or is it totally naive to assume they're going to package them up into one or two 'must haves' in the future?

I think expecting a bundle of must have mods is naive considering STEP Skyrim comes in at around 250 mods! Anyway I raced through the last few quests today before getting stuck into JC3. I moved it off my SSD beforehand and was getting some mad graphical glitches where some female NPCs had giant poles reaching to heaven from the tops of their heads. Managed to finish the game, but I'm glad I was near the end.

Well I'll avoid those types yashiro, cheers for the tip and mentazm, I've no idea what that is :D

Might still leave it for a bit until some official patches and maybe some more stable ones. It's not too horrendous at the mo imho.

Guys if you're going to install any visual mods - look at this first

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1188/?- takes about 30 seconds to install, you just extract the files to the fallout 4 folder under steam apps/common (use the classic mode on the downloads page imo, the others are too dark)

Basically fixes the lighting/the game looking washed out - especially makes a massive difference with indoor lighting where it looks like brightness settings are up to max or something, At first you might not like it, but trust me, let it adjust and you can toggle the mode with the screen lock button on your keyboard - you'll vom when you go back to the og lighting shade

video 30 seconds in

I much prefer The Enhanced Wasteland Preset. The brightness overall is actually pretty well balanced between looking good and making dark areas clearly visible. Turning on the Pip-Boy light all the time could be more realistic, but it's also just a bit annoying (could be interesting for some of the dungeons though). The one I linked gets rid of the washed out look in a more subtle way.

I much prefer The Enhanced Wasteland Preset. The brightness overall is actually pretty well balanced between looking good and making dark areas clearly visible. Turning on the Pip-Boy light all the time could be more realistic, but it's also just a bit annoying (could be interesting for some of the dungeons though). The one I linked gets rid of the washed out look in a more subtle way.

Thanks but the original mod from my post is perfect for me because the dark visibility is highly panel dependant. On my phone screen (IPS), Surface Pro screen and IPS monitor, the second/modded screenshot looks far too dark from the mod I'm using (hence the likely "can't see shit at night" comment that followed - prob from someone on a monitor/pc screen and that is what the screenshot would convey). On my TV screen which is not a IPS panel but VA, which has far better black levels than all those other screens (IPS doesn't seem the best for black levels/contrast) - the mod I'm using is just fine for me because I play fallout on my VA telly.

I think if you're playing on a PC monitor/IPS screen, the mod you've linked to is better. On a different panel/plasma - the mod in my post might be more appropriate.

• 5 years later...

I was browsing Cyberpunk mods when I felt an urge to see whats going on with the Fallout community. Modded Fallout is a completely different game it seems. Its Call of Duty meets STALKER. They also imported Leon from Resident Evil.

I think I have to reinstall.