IGNORED

MST3K Kickstarter

descriptor

Joel (for it is he) wants at least 2 million of your earth dollars for a crack at relaunching this glorious show, rising to $5.5m for a 12-episode season.

As I understand it, it would be an all-new cast. No Joel, and definitely no Mike.

What say you, rllmuk? A welcome chance to relive our nerd youth, or um wtf Joel?

More info, no doubt, here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k

didn't they already relaunch it as riff-trax?

That's the other lot, Mike and a couple of others, there was a break-up of sorts I think. Interestingly the rifftrax guys just got the rights to put MST3K stuff on Vimeo (for money).

Rifftrax is a little bit different from MST3K anyway, even though the basic concept is the same.

They're going to be directly competing with each other I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Ugh. I'm loathe to revisit this given my inept opening post performance, but I sense a certain custodial duty that drives me to at least mention that this whole damn affair is nearly over.

At time of posting, they are 10 earth hours from the 'end of the kickstarter'. They want another, like, $1.1m to achieve full majesty, but given that we're talking Felicia Day, Patton Oswalt and a cast of the good and great of geek Hollywood... well, who could be interested in that?

Mystery Science Theatre 3000! I don't even like it that much!

I'm genuinely heartened to see the (complete lack of a) response in this thread; that weird MST3K as height of nerd pop culture thing always rings false to me, in exactly the same way as the NES as the origin story for all gamers of the same generation. Because, you know, if it was big in the US it was big everywhere!

In fairness, what I've seen of MST3K seemed quite enjoyable, but I imagine you really had to 'be there', something us European never got a chance to do, so I'm neither excited nor distressed at the news they're rebooting it. Good for them, I guess, and I'm glad that fans are getting what they want, but I'm also glad to see a lack of pretense from the average non-American forumite to care.

(Now, if there was a Kickstarter to reboot the Adam and Joe Show, or Bits, or Vids, I would be there like a shot. That's the quirky, nerdy late-night TV that I grew up with and miss)

Hey, we don't need to hear about your violent past now, about how you murdered a poor soul and didn't even take the time to clean your footware before using their money to pay for your black market contraband.

I think it's fair to say that we're in an era where access to American TV - through legal means or nefarious - is far easier and far more common than it was. Cable was a luxury in this country through the '90s while it was much more commonplace in the US, and I know of nobody in real life who has ever seen MST3K 'live', only ever as downloads or DVDs long after they aired. Much as I know of only one person who actually had a NES in the early '90s; everyone else having had an Amiga, ST, Spectrum, C64 or Master System (or combination thereof, or, you know, no computer/console at all).

I can totally understand why it's a big thing for people who 'were there', but outside of the US (or at least North America, I know nothing about Canadian TV) I have to assume that's a vanishingly small proportion of television viewers at the time.

The episodes of MST3K I've seen were generally low-key enjoyable. Lazerblast, Parts: The Clonus Horror and the knock-off Italian James bond one were particularly good, but not in an OMG AMAZING kind of way. I'd be interested to see new episodes of this, although I have absolutely no nostalgic investment in it.

And having big names involved seems to be going against what made MST3K good, the fact it was a cheap way to fill a few hours and make some truly dire films borderline watchable (when the wisecracks were decent, which they were probably 20% of the time).

It's a bit unfair to tie it in with the NES-was-the-birth-of-gaming American cultural revisionism though. It was just some crap on cable TV that was a bit of fun.

If these appear on Netflix I'll watch them, definitely.