Kickstarter: NES Library Guide & Review Hardcover Book (covers all 700+ games)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/560468638/nintendo-nes-library-guide-and-review-book-of-750

It already raised it's goal (50k as of writing, wanted 15k) and sounds mighty fine in the page department (450+!). What more could NES fans want? A page each for every game? 800+ pages? As the kickstarter notes it probably already weighs as much as it should, being hardcover.

Every system needs one of these. I love what ROM does (Mega Drive: Collected Works) but a big thick hardback just detailing every game on a particular system is another matter!

• Upvote 4

It isn't classy pissing on what seems to be one youtuber's labour of love but the average DIY fanzine from back in the day exhibited more creative flair than what's being shown off here. The style of the content isn't doing much for me either.

Excuse the cynicism but I doubt there'll be a design professional crafted in because the guy's already done it all himself. How do you tell someone their baby needs a facelift?

Congrats to him though.

I like the idea of this (for other systems, natch - I'm not interested in the NES) but as others have mentioned, the design is awful. It's like paragraphs never existed, for one thing, and the repetition of every review looking the same is not pleasant on the eyes.

Also, given that there are no stretch goals (and from the comment at the bottom of the campaign it doesn't appear there will be) that's a lot of extra cash to pocket. I suppose that shouldn't be a problem, people should be rewarded for their work, but it goes against the grain a bit of how Kickstarters tend to operate.

The backgrounds are fine (I think black or grey certainly wouldn't improve it), but the same arrangement on every page is terribly dull, it needs some variety in the layout, things like the odd captioned-screenshot here and there, screenshots at the top or middle of the review etc.

As I say, with no stretch goals and a lot of extra cash, if it doesn't get a redesign that's pretty terrible.

Was going to go with the $78 physical book and pdf, but with a shipping of $65 and potential customs costs too, we will be looking at a potential $180 all in.

Even without customs charges, I am still looking at a £100 outlay.

I'll pass on this one I think.

Was going to go with the $78 physical book and pdf, but with a shipping of $65 and potential customs costs too, we will be looking at a potential $180 all in.

Even without customs charges, I am still looking at a £100 outlay.

I'll pass on this one I think.

There aren't any customs charges on books, so don't worry about that bit.

There aren't any customs charges on books, so don't worry about that bit.

It's still gonna cost me 100 of the Queens pounds though, which in all honesty, for a book of this quality, regardless of the content, is fecking extortionate.