rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Hierophant

Thermomix

No, normally the benefit of cookidoo is being a closed format they work really well, had the odd one I go back a step to cook more (caramelised onions) but not had a fail I couldn't use - may have been lucky

• Upvote 1

And cooking quinoa in the steamer didn't work. Some was mush and some wasn't cooked. Currently working through a stuffed butternut squash recipe, we'll cook the quinoa normally in future. 

Cooking Sunday lunch. Cauliflower cheese has been requested. Cannot be bothered to make cheese sauce but the Thermomix makes it effortless. Bung everything in together for the roux and it’s like witchcraft. 

• Upvote 1

We were considering splashing out on one of the expensive sliders that cropped up earlier in the thread. They were out of stock when we looked so ended up using this white chopping board from Ikea. £2, I think and seems to work just fine. 

thermomixslider.thumb.jpg.e903f064e884d85ad5e6bc3132e5e5b8.jpg

Sophie stopped her online shop I think and is just clearing out old stock

Just need to be sure you don’t drag it around as part of the scales are in the feet and they get knackered by dragging

Yep, that's why we put it on the chopping board, you can slide the board around quite easily with the thermomix on top of it. We wanted to be sure not to drag the machine around across the surfaces. 

Only thing to try slowly with the chopping board solution is a more violent high speed blitzing or dough kneading - it may move around a lot on that, the custom boards have a non-slidy stopper at the front to hold it firm

• Upvote 1

The Ergoslides or whatever they are called are back in stock (or were last week). I couldn’t really bring myself to spend £80 on one and we have ours in a little corner now so I don’t think we need one. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Only thing to try slowly with the chopping board solution is a more violent high speed blitzing or dough kneading - it may move around a lot on that, the custom boards have a non-slidy stopper at the front to hold it firm

Ok, good point. We'll look out for that.

On 08/12/2019 at 11:55, The Hierophant said:

Cooking Sunday lunch. Cauliflower cheese has been requested. Cannot be bothered to make cheese sauce but the Thermomix makes it effortless. Bung everything in together for the roux and it’s like witchcraft. 

It's this sort of thing I love it for - it lets you do stuff that you'd usually dismiss as a faff, or just not bother with.

Like make caramelised red onion chutney, which I love but would never make the traditional way, but this was so simple. I just followed the Cookidoo recipe as not got any experience with chutney at all, 500g of red onions, bit of oil, 1 red chilli, red wine vinegar and sugar. I even sterilised my little mason jars in the steamer basket as they suggested. I did give it 10m more mins in the caramelise stage as wanted a little more colour on them, but it lets you do that.

I love how you control the quality of what goes in, had some nice french red wine vinegar in stock, some light brown fair-trade sugar (not refined white caster), the taste out the TM is delicious and can't wait to see how it develops in the jar.

These are small jars, no more than 200-250ml I'd say - 500g of onion cooks down a lot. I'm now on the path to joining the women's institute, I've made my first chutney.

Screenshot_09_12_2019__13_27.thumb.jpg.568aa329c00ec7fff943f07b2273efb5.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Yes. My wife made cranberry sauce. She would never have done that before. 

more pics man, I find photo's inspiring. 

when this thread started I laughed at the Thermomix salesperson prattling on about making her own ketchup - but I know I'm heading that way. I love how clean and pure the stuff you make yourself tastes and you can tweak it to your tastebuds. 

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

more pics man, I find photo's inspiring. 

Sorry it’s in the freezer. 

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

when this thread started I laughed at the Thermomix salesperson prattling on about making her own ketchup - but I know I'm heading that way. I love how clean and pure the stuff you make yourself tastes and you can tweak it to your tastebuds. 

yep. 

Software update gives us new modes:

Thicken mode does all the tasks to thicken sauces or creams without fail. Have a go at making recipes such as béchamel sauce, pouring custard or fruit curds easier than ever before! 

Rice Cooker mode is a fantastic addition to the TM6. With boiled rice being one of the top 3 cooked recipes on Cookidoo®, what better than this new mode to make this process as simple as can be. Not only that, but the mode can be used for other grains too such as bulgur wheat and millet.

• Upvote 1

Yep I got that mail about the new modes, that sort of thing coupled with the constant addition of recipes to Cookidoo gives a smartphone like value feeling here in the device is always able to do something new.

Sure you can learn something new to use most kitchen gear for, but this is always pushing you and tempting you with new ideas

11 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Where can you find out about the new modes? Do either of them need the blade cover?

I imagine cookidoo will be the place to see as they'll release new recipes which utilise the modes - can't imagine the thickening mode will need the cover - the rice might do but looking at the cover the uncooked grains would fall thru the slots in places.

Can't see the rice mode beating a dedicated rice cooker for the absorption method, the thickening mode though is interesting, I use to reduce sauces at present so be nice to have something to one click it. 

That will be steamed rice, which is a different method to absorption that is seen in dedicated rice cookers - interested to see what they've gone for as I'm quite attached to the rice cooker for perfect rice, it senses steam in the unit and alters cooking times to get perfect rice every time once the liquid is fully taken up, the TM doesn't have this ability so it will be a bit more generic I suspect. 

New mode recipes up on cookidoo - looks like they going with the rice in the mixing bowl sat in the liquid - be interesting to see how that works and you get it out, as its not non stick and I can see the grains burning on the bottom where the elements are

Mother in law has given us her unused Thermomix. It’s not the latest model though. It’s the one before. 

is there a big difference?

7 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Mother in law has given us her unused Thermomix. It’s not the latest model though. It’s the one before. 

Tm5 is great, does a huge amount and just missing a couple of modes, but more than capable and will do most things.

2 hours ago, El Geet said:

It will be absolutely fine. Welcome to the club. 

On 15/12/2019 at 11:30, El Geet said:

How come she had an unused Thermomix? 

I imagine many of these end up going the way of expensive home gym equipment - if you just aren't inclined to cook stuff however easy they make things to do you still won’t do it.

Rave reviews from that onion chutney I posted above, my other half, who does like the stuff, says its the best she’s ever had by a mile.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, stephen129 said:

How come she had an unused Thermomix? 

A lavish Xmas present from her partner. She enjoys cooking but is pretty hopeless when it comes to tech so maybe it was that. No idea really. 

I just made the cookidoo cranberry sauce - immediate reaction is not a fan, it worked but its somehow simultaneously too sharp, too sweet and not pleasant.

Ocean Spray still winning that battle, but it's a failure of recipe in this case.

competition unveiled at CES

https://www.slashgear.com/cookingpal-julia-smart-cooking-system-will-almost-do-everything-for-you-06605539/

we used the TM over xmas to make marzipan, which was wonderful and has so much more flavour than the shop stuff and then a failed attempt at fondant icing. the fondant reminded me of when Paddington tried to make dumplings and got it stuck all over his paws, and put it in the garden (the birds then hurt their beaks on the failed dough)

Just used the thickening cycle for the first time to make a béchamel sauce - very impressive and as with many things on this a piece of piss, you don't even need to make a roux with the butter/flour at the start (but do suspect it would be better to in order to get some flavour development).