Ni No Kuni 2 - Revenant Kingdom (PC/PS4)

gospvg

Just announced at PSX 2015 :)

Loved the first game, can't wait.

A sequel to Ni No Kuni, called Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom, has been announced exclusively for the PlayStation 4. The announcement was made during Sony's PlayStation Experience keynote.

The game follows Evan, a boy king who must adventure through a kingdom swallowed by darkness and prove himself a worthy monarch. Evan is joined on his journey by a number of other characters, one of which is Roland, who is described as a visitor from another world.

I really liked what I played of the first game but it was really quite difficult and unforgiving. Hopefully the combat in this will be better.

Agreed combat was difficult but got easier during the game once you unlocked the all defence/attack moves.

Release date?

Not yet, it was only announced today. I'd expect a 2016 Japan release followed by a mid 2017 western release.

Never heard of the original, but a game that properly looks like an anime? I'm in.

Ni No Kuni is the only game that has ever been made in collaboration with Studio Ghibli. Music in this trailer is by Joe Hisaishi who did the music for Totoro, Kiki, Spirited Away...

I absolutely adored playing through Ni No Kuni a few months back, despite the flaws. Even when the voice acting weirdly dried up I still couldn't stop playing. I should probably go back and finish up the last few side quests and do the optional final final boss. Even my girlfriend loved watching me play it. Tidy!

Is it a turned based game or not? Not really a big fan of those.

The original wasn't, but whether they go the same route with the new game i've no idea.

I really like the battles in Wrath of the White Witch, if they can refine what they already have then i'll be more than happy.

For some reason I hadn't considered the prospect of a sequel to Ni No Kuni, though I suppose it was obvious given how well the original seems to have sold.

I liked the first a lot, despite finding the combat oddly unengaging. It looked beautiful (of course), and I loved the characters and voice work.

That said, Dragon Quest aside, I never enjoy Level-5 RPGs as much as I feel I should, and I'm not really sure why. They're always beautifully presented, I can just never get properly invested in them.

But I always get excited about them, and I'm excited about this. I wish more JRPGs adopted the aesthetic and tone of games like Ni No Kuni and Dragon Quest. Imagine a Tales of Star Ocean game with a decent plot and characters to go with the top-tier battle system.

I put in way over 100 hours, it was the only J-RPG I completed last generation.

At the time this is what I wrote.

It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a J-RPG, Ni No Kuni does have it's grinding moments like most J-RPGs but you can overcome these by doing the many sidequests in the game.
I spent a bit of time finishing off all the sidequests & sourcing materials to make better weapons before entering the ivory tower for the final showdown with the white witch.
I won't kid, the last boss fight is very tough & I just about managed it with my level 80 characters, any lower would have been a struggle.
Lovely music mixed with gorgeous visuals made for a truly amazing experience, if I had any gripes it would be that I wish instead of text it was fully voice acted.

Can't wait for the sequel, top of my most wanted list now.

I'm tempted to pick up Ni No Kuni.

I'm a 32 year old man - will it be too young for me? Bear in mind that I can't stand the teen characters and emo drama in the later Final Fantasies.

Are Ghibli (or Disney) films too "young" for you?

It's really nothing like Final Fantasy. Dragon Quest is a better point of comparison as far as other RPGs go.

Regardless of stuff you like this game is amazing it's definitely one to try and I assume its quite cheap now I think I bought it on Psn for about £13 on a sale after playing the demo just try the demo only thing the demo doesn't really point out to you is that you can get new monsters along the way and they also evolve which stuff like that just makes me excited lol ????