Ni No Kuni 2 - Revenant Kingdom (PC/PS4)

gospvg

19 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

Good luck i gave up about 50 attempts of finding a merchant lol

I give up. I've found the merchant selling food 3 times, materials twice and buffs at double price. I need consumables at half price.

Since it won't kill the platinum I'm going to ignore it and hope I run into him later. If not, I guess my gaming OCD will have to live with it. If I have the platinum it will be no issue!

• 2 months later...

I'm about five hours into this, just beyond the Scottish elf's forest area on my way to do something.

Does it get dramatically better any time soon? Because at the moment it's well on its way to being traded in. Apart from the visuals, which are lovely (at least when the frame-rate isn't stuttering about), the rest of the game feels inspidily generic and the battle system such as it is feels very button mashy, even playing on hard.

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm about five hours into this, just beyond the Scottish elf's forest area on my way to do something.

Does it get dramatically better any time soon? Because at the moment it's well on its way to being traded in. Apart from the visuals, which are lovely (at least when the frame-rate isn't stuttering about), the rest of the game feels inspidily generic and the battle system such as it is feels very button mashy, even playing on hard.

If it's not clicking with you yet, then I'm not entirely sure that will change. The combat becomes better if you whack up the difficulty to hard, then you need to start to be a bit more strategic, and it depends on who you are using as well. I used Tani for combat as ranged attacks, activating higgledies and doling out items added a bit more to the fights than the button mashing melee stuff.

Just now, Vorgot said:

If it's not clicking with you yet, then I'm not entirely sure that will change. The combat becomes better if you whack up the difficulty to hard, then you need to start to be a bit more strategic, and it depends on who you are using as well. I used Tani for combat as ranged attacks, activating higgledies and doling out items added a bit more to the fights than the button mashing melee stuff.

I am playing on hard, unfortunately. I was tempted to whack it up to Expert but I'd read it was very easy to get one-shotted if you did so.

Thanks for he tip re. Tani, however. I may well try that. I currently play mostly as Evan and when you're in the thick of it it's very difficult to see the enemy attacks coming with all the explosions and numbers going off everywhere, so the block/dodge system is pretty defunct most of the time. The lock-on feature doesn't work particularly well for me, either, especially against a group. And the having to come away from the action to manually activate the higgildies seems counter-intuitive as well.

I think I've just been spoiled by the brilliance of FFXII's battle system, which was the last JRPG I played before this one.

I'll give it one last chance. I haven't unlocked the kingdom building bit yet, so I'll see if that adds anything. The RTS-lite element wasn't particularly fun.

The kingdom building stuff is OK, but again, not massively deep. You end up building and researching everything you can. The game is definitely rpg lite compared to most alternatives, but it just clicked with me, I can see it's flaws and drawbacks though. It's not as good as the first by a fairly long shot. I've got the final DLC to finish but have not played in a while now, it might be nice to go back to. You won't be missing anything earth shattering if you drop it in the near future if it doesn't pick up for you.

9 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

The kingdom building stuff is OK, but again, not massively deep. You end up building and researching everything you can. The game is definitely rpg lite compared to most alternatives, but it just clicked with me, I can see it's flaws and drawbacks though. It's not as good as the first by a fairly long shot. I've got the final DLC to finish but have not played in a while now, it might be nice to go back to. You won't be missing anything earth shattering if you drop it in the near future if it doesn't pick up for you.

What makes the first better? I've not played it myself but have seen that the remaster for current systems (Switch included) was announced at E3.

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What makes the first better? I've not played it myself but have seen that the remaster for current systems (Switch included) was announced at E3.

It's harder from the off. You have familiars instead of higgledies which are a bit Pokemon like in that you feed them, level them up and they fight with you. Higgledies are great but the familiars had a bit more impact. The story has a lot more punch as well, and the animated cutscenes are a treat. It feels like something different, where 2 feels a bit by the numbers. I think I'll be grabbing the original agin for the PS4 as my lads have my PS3 now, it would be fun to play through again. 

I'm finally at the end of the Timeless Tome DLC for this, got one last memory lane to do and I'm not going to bother with the Solliseum stuff. While I loved the game, and platinumed the base game, the DLC has been pretty underwhelming, the different styles of combat were a nice idea but I've stuck with using Ding Dong Discipline through to the end. The Memory Lane lore bits have been nice to play through to add more to some of the characters and I hope this sixth one doesn't let me down, but the dungeons using the same recycled assets and being such a grind has been a pain. Overall though it's been a blast.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

After owning this for a few years I finally dig it out the pile of shame yesterday aaaaaand... it’s not turn-based! :(

It looks lovely but words can’t express how crestfallen I am by this discovery.

51 minutes ago, Popo said:

After owning this for a few years I finally dig it out the pile of shame yesterday aaaaaand... it’s not turn-based! :(

It looks lovely but words can’t express how crestfallen I am by this discovery.

It takes a while to get used to the new combat but it is a good game, enjoy.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...