Ni No Kuni 2 - Revenant Kingdom (PC/PS4)

gospvg

Not long to go now, anyone got it on preorder?

Slightly disappointed it does not have full voiceover on the dialogue. Annoyingly it has the one reaction type word, for example Hey? Oi? etc.

I'm going to wait for a while got a few titles to complete first.

Easy A Preview

• 3 weeks later...

Probably going to end up buying this anyway, but bit concerned they’re cramming in other gameplay elements like the town building and bigger scale battles when they didn’t really manage to get the combat system right in the first game. I’d rather they just focused on that and made sure it was up to scratch.

Looks like they haven’t taken the criticisms on board about not having very much speech in the game too.

Just a shame there aren’t many decent new JRPGs around at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

Heheh thanks- I’m 130 hours into it at the moment ;)

Never mind then, you already know :D I only just started and it made quite the impression on me. Means Ni no Kuni 2 will have to wait though.

Also check out Yakuza of course. It has JRPG elements in it even though it's more its own, unique genre, and should not be missed.

Wasn't sold on this after NNK because the extra PS3 third felt completely tacked on and the constant handholding was obnoxious.

That was until Simon Parkin said:

And invoked the sacred S word* and now I'm obnoxiously excited for it.

*Suikoden

1 hour ago, Larsen B said:

*Suikoden

Goddamnit. That better be a proper comparison and not just "you also build a base in this one!" or else that dude, whoever he is, has no business invoking that name. That name comes with a lot of really high expectations.

In fairness he only brought it up in response to someone's question:

Random: "Kingdom building? To what extent?"

Parkin: "Suikoden style"

Parko is one of the rare games reviewers whose writing I generally trust (I may not always share his liking for a game, but I tend to find his descriptions and analyses to be solid, so tend to find him a good barometer for whether I'm likely to enjoy a game or not); as he hasn't really gone into detail in his tweets though I don't know what to expect. It certainly piqued my interest though.

6 hours ago, Larsen B said:

Wasn't sold on this after NNK because the extra PS3 third felt completely tacked on and the constant handholding was obnoxious.

That was until Simon Parkin said:

*Suikoden

Ah. I’ve gone from completely ignoring this to suddenly wanting it. I haven’t completed an RPG since 2006 when I played through Suikoden V.

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

Did they remember to save some budget for the second half of the game this time 

Haha yeah that was really weird in the first one, don’t think I’ve ever known a game do that so obviously before.

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

I don't remember that criticism from the first title. Personally I'm happy with text rather than voice acting, quicker to get through.

The problem last time was the juxtaposition between nice animated scenes, and then text at the bottom of the screen. As has been said, it was like they run out of budget- there was voice acting, but it was front loaded in the first half of the game.

6 hours ago, Retroguy said:

The problem last time was the juxtaposition between nice animated scenes, and then text at the bottom of the screen. As has been said, it was like they run out of budget- there was voice acting, but it was front loaded in the first half of the game.

Yeah, quite a few people remarked on that - maybe more in RLLMUK than in early reviews, but I remember it being discussed.