IGNORED

New Nintendo thingie

amanset

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=207&tid=213

http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=5624

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040120/206239_1.html

Two screens? What's that all about? "Nintendo DS features two separate 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit." Huh?

Where does the GBA stand?

Sorry if this has been posted already. I couldn't find a thread

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=207&tid=213

http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=5624

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040120/206239_1.html

Two screens? What's that all about? "Nintendo DS features two separate 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, separate processors, and semiconductor memory of up to 1 Gigabit." Huh?

Where does the GBA stand?

Sorry if this has been posted already. I couldn't find a thread

Bah - you posted it before I got a chance!

This sounds actually very interesting. Now, it could be just me, but it seems that Nintendo is obsessed with duality nowadays: just look at Mario & Luigi,, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, the GBA-GC link, etc. Regardless of my opinion about those matters, what Iwata-san said: "For example, players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of their environment" could make for fascinating new developments in games, giving players, in a way, multiple viewpoints on the same situation. (To me, it sounds like Mario & Luigi would have benefitted from being transferred to this console.)

Alternitavely, it could turn out to be another Virtual Boy. But even then it doesn't matter for me: I bought the latter as well. Still, it could turn out to be great...

Right?

If that's it I'm very disappointed.

'What's the point?' springs to mind.

I mean you can only look a one thing at a time anyway so why not just make it have a larger screen - that way these 'dual' games can be split screen and 'non-dual' games will benefit from an overall larger viewing area.

This wreaks of gimmick. I'm not buying into the whole 'new levels of gameplay' that two POV's will provide. How will it benefit a racing game for example, one in car one rear view mirror?

Nintendo will really have to go some to sell this to the genral public.

My prediction: this is the last Nintendo Hardware release.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Nintendo, but this is not mass market enough.

In my opinion, people are taking the news of the new hardware item with not quite an open mind. The genres of today were created with only one screen to display everything in mind --to a point, of course. (Hopefully, people won't point out the hundreds of PC games that offer panorama views, etc.) There is always the possibility that this set-up can bring out truly original and innovative titles.

When did the forum get so negative about everything?

Iwata already said he's not expecting cheers from everyone, we all know a lot of people are afraid of innovation and those who dare to do things differently. This is something that hasn't been attempted since the days of the Game and Watch. Let's wait until we see the games and the hardware, for all we know, it could be powerful enough to counter the PSP. ;) This could be the Game Boy Advance follow-up, Nintendo said the SP would live alongside the normal GBA and we all know that's not strictly true.

Let's wait and see instead of being mindlessley negative when we know fuck all about the machine yet.

Of course, both screens can be used together as a single big screen if developers wish

In my opinion, people are taking the news of the new hardware item with not quite an open mind. The genres of today were created with only one screen to display everything in mind --to a point, of course. (Hopefully, people won't point out the hundreds of PC ames that offer panorama views, etc.) There is always the possibility that this set-up can bring out truly original and innovative titles.

When did the forum get so negative about everything?

But I just don't see what can be achieved on 2 screens that couldn't be done on a larger single one.

It's not like we've never had a rear veiw mirror in racing for example.

I think this product has some real potential. I'm thinking along the lines of an RPG where you could have the battle or "action" screen and the other being an overview map, inventory or stats page. If you couple this with add-ons such as Wi-Fi connectivity between units or Internet connectivity and the obligatory camera etc. then things really start to open up.

I think this sounds good.

In a way it's been done many times already.

Dual screen-o-rama

vortal_pic_75169.jpg

I can't see what more than one screen can do that isn't being done here. And if your adding screens and aiming it at the handheld market then your going to cut down on the portability.

But I just don't see what can be achieved on 2 screens that couldn't be done on a larger single one.

It's not like we've never had a rear veiw mirror in racing for example.

I don't mean to sound paternalistic here, but with that kind of thinking, we would have never had many of the technological advancements we have seen in games over the years. If Nintendo does not show anything in the future that might take advantage of the medium, I'll concede defeat. But then again, there is also the possibility that something innovative will come out of all this as well...

This could be the Game Boy Advance follow-up, Nintendo said the SP would live alongside the normal GBA and we all know that's not strictly true.

Err? What exactly do you mean by this comment? I still play games on my GBA with no problems, even if the GBA SP has now been on the market for some time.

Nintendo have only revealed one half of the concept; 2 screens.

They OBVIOUSLY have something specific in mind about how these two screens are being used. I don't think the project would have gotten this far without at least one killer game idea to back it up.

My guess: they had something amazing in mind for GBA->GC link-up but when the link up concept failed to excite they decided to create new hardware for the concept. If this is the case then they must at least think that this idea is a good one.

Nintendo have only revealed one half of the concept; 2 screens.

They OBVIOUSLY have something specific in mind about how these two screens are being used. I don't think the project would have gotten this far without at least one killer game idea to back it up.

My guess: they had something amazing in mind for GBA->GC link-up but when the link up concept failed to excite they decided to create new hardware for the concept. If this is the case then they must at least think that this idea is a good one.

Two-screen Sticky Balls? I can understand, though, if you aren't allowed to talk about it, Mr. Pickford. ;)

"We want to offer to customers a play experience that they've never had before. We're not expecting everyone to cheer following the announcement. It's okay if ten percent of the people say the product is 'interesting' and word spreads with people finding themselves wanting to try it."

Hmm... ;) PSP, PSP, PSP!

Maybe they even have some sort of virtual boy functionality in there too. With two seperate screens stereoscopic vision shouldn't be too hard to pull off. Different polarity filters maybe, in combination with polarised lenses (I'm no expert in this kind of thing so feel free to ridicule me ;)). It is a bit of a stretch after the dismal failure that was virtual boy though and you would probably look like a twat

Maybe they even have some sort of virtual boy functionality in there too. With two seperate screens stereoscopic vision shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

The screens are apparently set out vertically, not horizontally.

Its a great idea - I think it's really gonna be the 2 player aspect of things that becomes important.

Other things I can think of:

- True peripheral vision. Ever seen a game of Unreal2k on 3 screens? Very cool. It means that certain areas are out of your direct vision so you must become more alert. On a regular screen, everything is perfectly in focus.

- Menus and stuff in real time. Like what FF:CC is trying to do but without all the hassle.

- 2 player games where players can go off on their own - ie an RPG where your characters split up - not just play as one lot, then another.

- 4 Player link up now becomes 8 player link up.

Any pics so far?

No pics yet, not even what medium it'll use, processor speed, size, screen resolution, etc. So no guesses can be made. Seeing as it's Nintendo though, I'm expecting something quite radical.

From a GSI GCN article...

Nintendo has not gone into detail about the value of having two screens on a single handheld unit. "From information made available today, players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen," was the only hint about the second screen in the official press release.

Guest shinythings

Nintendo, being a radical and unconservative company, they'll no doubt go back to a non-backlit screen with an uncomfortable shape and controls before releasing a usable version a year later.

Players can look forward to being able to manage their game progress from two different perspectives, enhancing both the speed and strategy of the challenge. For example in a soccer game, users can view the whole game on one screen while simultaneously focusing on an individual soccer player's tackle or goal on the other screen. […]

Players will no longer be forced to interrupt game play to shift perspective, such as moving from a wide shot to a close up, or alternating between a character's ongoing battle and a map of the environment. Nintendo DS makes it possible to perform the tasks in real time by simply glancing from one screen to the other.

It sounds interesting, but I'm hardly sold on the idea. It'll definitely be interesting to see how Nintendo take advantage of the extra screen.