Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

Just back from my local Aldi, and really impressed by their expanded range for food. So many things there, took some photos for anyone interested.

https://imgur.com/a/HvfXNwh

(click on the link to see all the products)

Things I didn't photograph were a really nice looking Korean BBQ Style Chick’n Sandwich, a wrap, a chipotle pie and also Ciabatta Breadsticks.

Only thing I couldn't find were some la boulangere vegan croissants which I've seen online 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I should go check my local Aldi out!

Big shout out for Sainsbury's Shroomdogs btw. They're a must-try IMO, very convincing meat-like texture. The Chorizo ones are addictive.

Are cauldron not vegan? They're my favourite. 

3 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

Are cauldron not vegan? They're my favourite. 

Don't know, haven't had those in a while. But I've tried all the veggie sausages over the years, and I don't remember any being as nice as the Shroomies.

Edit: Nope. They contain egg whites.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

Just back from my local Aldi, and really impressed by their expanded range for food. So many things there, took some photos for anyone interested.

https://imgur.com/a/HvfXNwh

(click on the link to see all the products)

Things I didn't photograph were a really nice looking Korean BBQ Style Chick’n Sandwich, a wrap, a chipotle pie and also Ciabatta Breadsticks.

Only thing I couldn't find were some la boulangere vegan croissants which I've seen online 

Will definitely check some of those things out. I don't visit Aldi often because they don't stock a lot of things I tend to live on (lots of different pulses etc), and they're not much cheaper on many of the things they do stock. But some of that looks well worth a try.

We stock La Boulangere croissants in the Sainsbury's where I work, so I'm guessing most Sainsbury's would have them (larger ones at least). I will big up Sainsbury's a tad - they've been good for a while, but they've ramped it up a notch further of late. Spoilt for choice in the vegan meat-alternatives now (I agree on the chorizo shroomdogs - they're great), but there's also things like vegan coleslaw, potato salad, and fresh gravy. The interesting new thing I bought so far though was a tin of banana blossoms. Not a clue what I'm going to do with them yet, but apparently they have a flaky fish-like texture, and the internet recommends frying in batter/or breadcrumbs - just need to get some flavour into them first.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Will definitely check some of those things out. I don't visit Aldi often because they don't stock a lot of things I tend to live on (lots of different pulses etc), and they're not much cheaper on many of the things they do stock. But some of that looks well worth a try.

We stock La Boulangere croissants in the Sainsbury's where I work, so I'm guessing most Sainsbury's would have them (larger ones at least). I will big up Sainsbury's a tad - they've been good for a while, but they've ramped it up a notch further of late. Spoilt for choice in the vegan meat-alternatives now (I agree on the chorizo shroomdogs - they're great), but there's also things like vegan coleslaw, potato salad, and fresh gravy. The interesting new thing I bought so far though was a tin of banana blossoms. Not a clue what I'm going to do with them yet, but apparently they have a flaky fish-like texture, and the internet recommends frying in batter/or breadcrumbs - just need to get some flavour into them first.

Cheers, I'll check out my larger Sainsbury's store near me for the croissants :)

Trying to go meat-free as much as possible (but I'm weak and I crave fast food), so this thread has been a huge inspiration and help - the Bosh! Chili non carne has been a regular for me. Not sure if its a fad or not, but since November have been eating mainly vegan packed lunches and I'm finding myself excited to cook some vegan stews and salads.

I've made the following with pretty decent success:

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegan/quick-quinoa-and-black-bean-chilli/ made this last night and chucked in a couple of cubed sweet potatoes and they added a really nice sweetness.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/g9j4a/chana_masala_one_of_the_best_ive_ever_had_and_i/ - pretty decent chana masala, not British Indian Restaurant style as I'd like, but good.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/marinated-lentil-salad/ - chucked in quinoa, chickpeas and its v filling.

https://uk.veganuary.com/recipes/chickpea-tuna-sandwiches/ this one is surprisingly good and I find I crave sandwiches and bread so hits the spot.

• Upvote 2

I'll definitely give that quinoa and black bean chilli a go - I keep meaning to cook more with quinoa, but always play safer with lentils. Black beans are my faves though, and sweet potato sounds like a nice addition too.

I've been experimenting with making sandwich fillings recently, and have made some really tasty ones that I'm calling bean pâtés (although they tend to resemble the tinned refried beans you can buy - which are usually really tasty (mainly due to being full of salt). I basically fry up a very finely chopped onion, then add a tin of pulses including the liquid (I've tried borlotti, black and  pinto beans so far - all good). Then I add garlic (either from puree or dried from a grinder), bouillon powder and herbs and spices (a little smoked paprika is a nice easy option), and maybe a squirt of tomato puree. Then I just reduce it down slowly, whilst mashing it with a wooden spoon until it's kinda smooth. Once it's nicely thick, I let it cool and then stick it in the fridge for the following week's lunches. A smear of mayo and then a good spread of the beans with some salad is a really good start to a sandwich or wrap. I've usually also got a container of tomato sauce on the go in the fridge, and that also makes a good addition (it's usually been made for pizza sauce, but works as a healthier alternative to ketchup in a sandwich). My current one has loads of red pepper running through it, so is really tasty.

• Upvote 3
On 07/01/2020 at 11:10, Davros sock drawer said:

That looks great!

I'm about to put this in the oven for a post-run Veganuary lunch:

https://www.bosh.tv/recipes/creamy-pesto-pasta-bake

What did you think of this?

I just made one and I wasn't massively impressed. The pasta was too dry and bland, and it just lacked something. I think I overdid the breadcrumbs as well, which probably didn't help the dryness.

I'm not much of a cook these days but I've been trying a few of the bosh recipes along with some of the vegan convenience foods to try and reduce my meat/dairy consumption. Have to say I'm bloody amazed at how easy it is now, it's great! 

Haven't got the book to hand, but I made the pad Thai and a sticky tofu recipe from the bosh book. The pad Thai was great, less keen on the sticky tofu but I think I ballsed up the recipe with slight substitutions as the sauce was overbearing. I'm also not convinced they've got their quantities right, meals that say serves 2-4 gave us 2 rather small portions and I'm not a big eater. That said, I'm saving up for a blender which will vastly expand the recipes I can try. 

I was vegan for a year when I was 17 and I genuinely thought it wasn't an option for me now because of the time I used to have to invest in it, including making everything from scratch. The revelation that my local Tesco sells tofu and that ready made vegan pesto is a thing has inspired me that eating vegan can include 'no time to cook' nights as well as weekends. 

Tonight I made some fajitas with spicy mashed black beans, oumph smoky, a quick home made salsa and vegan mayo. Not tried oumph before but it was delicious and worked really well. Made BF some with leftover roast chicken we had in the fridge but he preferred mine!

• Upvote 3
15 hours ago, Dr_Dave said:

What did you think of this?

I just made one and I wasn't massively impressed. The pasta was too dry and bland, and it just lacked something. I think I overdid the breadcrumbs as well, which probably didn't help the dryness.

100% agree. It was really very dry (like you I overdid the breadcrumbs, but even so), and it desperately needed a hit of garlic and olive oli. It wasn’t bad per se, it just really needed more thought in the flavour department, and less in the “how do we make a creamy sauce without cream?” dept.

If I make anything like it again I will use garlic, lots more basil, and some olive oil. Also, Oatly now do an excellent creme fraiche substitute which I would be inclined to try instead of blending all those cashews and soy.

• Upvote 1

On the “junk” food front I had a

really rather spectacular burger last night made from Sainsbury’s Shroomballs, re-formed into patties. I would challenge anyone to not think they were eating meat, if they weren’t told in advance it was vegan. No, we’re not talking gourmet rare beef burgers, but for an equivalent to a supermarket burger?  Totally convincing, although more pork-like than beef. 

I also tried these Southern Fried Bites:

2C2E4622-5238-4514-A08C-3ACC66D34C6F.thumb.jpeg.9bd9fbd9e4e9ac4f20d17bf229435123.jpeg

These were worryingly addictive!

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Shoes said:

Also  tried the BOSH pesto pasta - very dry indeed, but still alright. Made their Ultimate Chilli though, and wow. Best chilli I've eaten. 

The book is good. If anyone wants me to post any recipes I'll be happy to. 

Made a burger tonight by re-forming three Shroomdogs, and simply cooking the patty in the oven. 

Garnishes were an unusual but winning combo - thinly sliced chilli beetroot, avocado, crumbled vegan feta (only vegan “cheese” I like so far), and a sauce made from Black Garlic Ketchup (you must try this! It’s amazing!), Sriracha, Sundried Tomato Ketchup, and a little Vegenaise

37272780-3E7C-4AE3-9B8C-BC06708F33CB.thumb.jpeg.a4ab4a5334e7c31fa3aeb8fee7519f55.jpeg

I would challenge any meat eater to distinguish it from meat in a blind test. So good! 

• Upvote 8