rllmuk
Opinionated Ham Scarecrow

Vegetarian / Vegan recipes

1 hour ago, velma said:

Can anyone recommend me a brand of soya mince/mince substitute? Preferably vegan, but will go for vegetarian if there aren't decent vegan ones. Its not an ingredient I'd use often but it's handy for comfort food spag bol on a week night. Alas I used a Tesco own brand last night and it was awful. 

Holland and Barrett soya protein mince. 

Just went to Wagamama's for lunch. They have an extensive Vegan menu now, and what I just had was pretty damned good.

Bao Buns with mixed mushrooms + panko aubergine hirata, coriander + vegan mayonnaise:

"Vegatsu" - our vegan katsu curry. seitan coated in crispy panko breadcrumbs, covered in an aromatic curry sauce with sticky white rice and a dressed side salad 

https://www.wagamama.com/our-menu/vegan#menu

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

This sort of thing?

Tofu Press - Strong, Sturdy High Quality Design that Removes Water in 15 Minutes for Firmer and More Flavour Absorbing Tofu, By Tofood- Vegan UK Seller https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GSHFXL7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KxPkEbMYAWTBM

?

I've got one of these, which I would recommend instead (a bit more expensive but it catches the water in the bottom):

https://www.tofuture.com/product/tofu-press/

Worth it if you're making a lot of tofu meals.

Loving your photos/recipes, by the way. :)

Give this one a try:

https://minimalistbaker.com/general-tsos-tofu/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, velma said:

Can anyone recommend me a brand of soya mince/mince substitute? Preferably vegan, but will go for vegetarian if there aren't decent vegan ones. Its not an ingredient I'd use often but it's handy for comfort food spag bol on a week night. Alas I used a Tesco own brand last night and it was awful. 

I rather like Naturli - I think it's exclusive to Sainsbury's still. Used to be sold in the meat aisle, but has since moved to be with the other chilled veggie and vegan stuff. It acts very much like the real thing - it's quite wet and can be shaped into sausages or balls or whatever - very different to Quorn mince. Definitely has a meaty taste to it (just not sure what animal). There's one similar by the Meatless Farm company, but I find it a little bland. The other recommendation I've seems to be Fry's which you can get at Holland and Barrett - although I've still not tried it yet (I have enjoyed most of the things I've had of theirs so far though).

• Upvote 1

Thanks all, il try Sainsbury's as there's one near work, don't think I've got a H&B locally. 

TBF I'd expected it to taste bland, that would have been fine - I was veggie as a student and veggie Bolognese was a staple, I learnt to add flavour. This stuff had a strange taste to it but also was weirdly mushy, it was awful! 

Maybe try the Meatless Farm company one then (I did find the Naturli one a bit challenging when I first had it tbh). My Sainsbury's stock that (I think it's in all the major supermarkets). Stupidly, even though I work there I've still not tried Sainsbury's frozen mince (it'll be branded "Plant Pioneers" now, fyi). Given that they're doing really well elsewhere on the vegan front that's a bit of an oversight.

4 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

I've got one of these, which I would recommend instead (a bit more expensive but it catches the water in the bottom):

https://www.tofuture.com/product/tofu-press/

Worth it if you're making a lot of tofu meals.

Loving your photos/recipes, by the way. :)

Give this one a try:

https://minimalistbaker.com/general-tsos-tofu/

@Davros sock drawer slightly cheaper here!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tofu-Press-unique-stylish-transform/dp/B01698J0RU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=7L0GMGTPZ265&keywords=tofuture+tofu+press&qid=1579902396&sprefix=tofuture+%2Caps%2C256&sr=8-1

• Upvote 1

One of my current favourites. 

Onion, garlic, tomato puree, oregano, nice little tomatoes and a scotch bonnet. 

Fusili. 

Amazing. Nose will run if hot enough. 

IMG_20200124_202456.thumb.jpg.ca5588c36e10b779a061df7ff56f4324.jpgIMG_20200124_205841.thumb.jpg.b7cca4aa68e218102a284e4a49811747.jpg

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

That must be hot as hell, no?

This one wasn't because I was scared of how massive and red the scotch bonnet was so I didn't put many seeds in. 

When it's just on the edge of too hot, it's weirdly the most amazing thing ever. 

This one wasn't on the edge :(

• Upvote 1

I find the amount of chilli heat I can take varies depending on the dish I'm putting it in. Thick heavy dishes like my mixed bean chilli are easy to ruin with a little too much heat - they become really hard work. Lighter dishes - thin broths etc. I can make much more spicy and genuinely enjoy them more because of it. The hottest thing I ever made was a bloody Mary soup. It was just an onion, some celery, a tin of tomatoes and a good glug of vodka, all blitzed down until smooth. Oh yes, and two scotch bonnets - they were only small so I thought nothing of it.  It was like tomato-flavoured napalm! On first taste I thought I'd have to bin the lot - it was brutal. But I just kept going back for more until I'd scoffed the lot. Like I say - if I'd made a chilli that hot I'd have found it inedible, but this was actually so much better because of the fierceness. I think I could probably take a lot of heat on a simple Arrabiata - I tend to whack up the spiciness when I have noodles too.

49 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I find the amount of chilli heat I can take varies depending on the dish I'm putting it in. Thick heavy dishes like my mixed bean chilli are easy to ruin with a little too much heat - they become really hard work. Lighter dishes - thin broths etc. I can make much more spicy and genuinely enjoy them more because of it. The hottest thing I ever made was a bloody Mary soup. It was just an onion, some celery, a tin of tomatoes and a good glug of vodka, all blitzed down until smooth. Oh yes, and two scotch bonnets - they were only small so I thought nothing of it.  It was like tomato-flavoured napalm! On first taste I thought I'd have to bin the lot - it was brutal. But I just kept going back for more until I'd scoffed the lot. Like I say - if I'd made a chilli that hot I'd have found it inedible, but this was actually so much better because of the fierceness. I think I could probably take a lot of heat on a simple Arrabiata - I tend to whack up the spiciness when I have noodles too.

I find scotch bonnets weirdly tolerable. They have a lovely flavour and the heat seems to be on the right part of your mouth for some reason.

• Upvote 1

Continuing my Korean theme, I've just made my first ever batch of (vegetarian/vegan) kimchi from scratch!

IMG_20200126_161022_941_compress99.thumb.jpg.09b5e5729a23d0bc3b20b44ee11a7372.jpg

It works out to be just over 2 litres of kimchi. Should be ready to eat in about two weeks. I'll just have to remember to burp the jars every now and again otherwise my kitchen will become a kimchi covered wasteland.

• Upvote 4

On 27/01/2020 at 21:05, Horribleman said:

Could you ferment scotch bonnets.

I will have to do some experiments.

Yes, you absolutely can! I've got a fermented hot sauce in my fridge that's hot as fuck and very tasty.

Chilli Chump on Youtube is good on this but it's basically as easy as cutting up the chillis and leaving them in brine for a week.

On 28/01/2020 at 08:51, bobontheway said:

https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/chaesik-kimchi

Kimchi update: no explosions. Kitchen is starting to smell of kimchi which both my girlfriend and I are quite pleased about :)

Give it a week and you might change your mind :lol:

• Upvote 1

So Veganuary is over, obvs. Went super-easily for me after doing it last year. I do have an enormous massively cheesy pizza ready in the fridge for tea tonight though.

However, I'm seriously considering going vegan every other month this year. I reckon that's doable. I'd probably save a little money on the whole (savings on cheese and pizza need to be offset against trying a couple of new vegan products a week), and I almost certainly eat healthier (and a little more diversely).

Really encouraged by the range of products available pretty much everywhere - especially ready meals, which make it so much easier to stick with. I haven't actually eaten that many - it's just good to know that after a tough day, you can just say sod it and buy something easy, rather than having to cook.

Even in the last week or so the Sainsbury's I work at has added lots of new products. Most notable is a frozen range from Moving Mountains (the people behind the bleeding burger). We don't stock those, but have hot dogs, sausages and sausage burgers. They're quite pricey though at £4.50 a pop for 4 of either of the sausages or 2 of the burgers. Tempted to have a pop at the hot dogs though - they're claiming they're indistinguishable from the real thing. The other one that's interesting is that Kettle Chips are now doing a vegan Sheeze and onion flavour crisp. It's not for me - I hate cheese and onion crisps, but that was a move I wasn't expecting. Surprisingly the one thing I found myself wanting was vegan garlic bread - that's a gap in the market. (I know I could make my own, but it's never as good, and it's also one of those things I turn to as comfort food).

One final thing I'll mention - in my job as an online shopper I've noticed in the last few months a definite rise in the amount of vegan products I'm picking. When I pick chilled foods I generally have 6 to 8 orders in any one run. Six months ago I would have been genuinely surprised to pick just one obviously vegan product for any of those orders. Today I would be surprised if I didn't pick at least a couple. I'm not saying we're picking massive numbers, but it's definitely changing. (I think I've mentioned before we pick loads more veggie and vegan stuff on frozen runs - veggies and vegans seem to be freezer addicts).

14 hours ago, MarkN said:

Surprisingly the one thing I found myself wanting was vegan garlic bread - that's a gap in the market. (I know I could make my own, but it's never as good, and it's also one of those things I turn to as comfort food).

I get these from Sainsburys, find them really nice. Worth a try :)

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, grounded_dreams said:

I get these from Sainsburys, find them really nice. Worth a try :)

D'oh! I pick them for customers all the time - I'd just assumed they used butter. Cheers for that, will give them a go.

Edit: Just noticed when in town that Tesco's garlic Ciabatta is also vegan. D'oh! again.

• Upvote 1