Euro 2016 thread

Pandy

9 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

The perfect example of what I said earlier about the media making it almost impossible to have nothing but abject hate for English football if you're from a celtic nation

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3671234/Wales-reach-four-Euro-2016-couldn-t-without-three-English-born-goalscorers.html

To be fair, the good amongst us hate ourselves. Danny Murphy's "England in the quarters without facing anyone of quality" tweet was embarrassing even before hindsight took over. It's an appalling, entitled attitude that shows no insight or reflection on how good we actually are, or aren't as the case is, and it's bloody everywhere in the media until we get knocked out and shown up for being crap as ever. Then everyone talks about all our obvious failings, which actually just boils down to a lack of pashun* - how we admire Wales for pashuning their way to the semi finals with no other qualities whatsoever - and then we rinse and repeat for the start of the next tournament. We're still on course for the World Cup in 2022 afterall! :omg:

*Not strictly true - we moan about grass roots reform, look at what Germany did after 2002, then what Spain did, then we're back to Germany, and now we'll be looking at what Wales and Iceland have done and how these smaller nations have organised themselves down to under 8s level and so on. How inspiring, how we could do the same - we will do the same - then Croatia will win a tournament and we'll have to ignore whatever Iceland did and try to work out what Croatia did. Whatever we find, we must do absolutely nothing to change anything about ourselves anyway, as dads picking tall Barry and fast Jack, with no footballing ability whatsoever, is the English way and therefore the best way.

7 minutes ago, emjay2kay said:

I hate them both equally in any event. I'd look twice if Danny Murphy said the sky was blue.

They're just pundits giving an opinion. Hatred? Hmmmm

Italy lost me my £10, 12/1 bet - bloody Germans with their penalty shoot-out luck :(

Iceland, I think, will go out today. That long throw though.

Watching yesterday's shoot-out again, and the ridiculous lengths to which takers are starting to go to try and put the keeper off, I reckon it's only a matter of time before someone waddles up to take a penalty with his shorts around his ankles.

28 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

They're just pundits giving an opinion. Hatred? Hmmmm

Well, it's hardly like I'm burning effigies of them, but saying I hate them is really no different to what people on here say about Clive Tyldsley, Townsend, Lawro, Savage etc is it?

Danny Mills said England COULD make it to the quarters without facing anyone of real quality. That was true, its just that we lost in the last 16 to Iceland instead! (And you couldn't really say Wales were real quality before the Belgium match.)

Not that I'm bothered if anyone chooses to hate Danny Mills.

13 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Müller has had a very below-par tournament hasn't he. Not done much in any game so far then a terrible penalty last night.

Agreed, his performance has been really disappointing.

2 hours ago, DC07 said:

Danny Mills said England COULD make it to the quarters without facing anyone of real quality. That was true, its just that we lost in the last 16 to Iceland instead! (And you couldn't really say Wales were real quality before the Belgium match.)

Not that I'm bothered if anyone chooses to hate Danny Mills.

But it takes a huge amount of arrogance to so easily dismiss other teams with absolutely no respect for them even though they've done just as much to be at the same point as England. The problem then comes from being a non English brit and recognising that the England football is just not that good but we still have to go through the months of hype and bullshit ( I think the year 1966 should be banned in the UK) and unfair bias all through the media.

I used to celebrate when England lost miserably in the past because I thought things might change and we will no longer have to wade through the hype but I gave up. You'll get a new manager who'll be hailed as Jesus and then 6 months before the next world cup we'll hear how this amazing England team will beat everyone and how they embody the spirit of 1966 and..........oh they're shit and just got dumped out early again.

Wales beat the number 2 ranked team in the world 3-1 in the quarter finals and it wasn't on the front of any of the national papers, if that was England it would have been a full spread front and back, what so Wales get, the people who scored are English, so really we're winning it for them. 

I'm not saying it's the English or the English football teams fault but the media just breed contempt for England outside those borders. 

I think Iceland can take the game to extra time, at least. What caused Ireland to come undone was fatigue and carelessness. With half the turnaround time of the French, the relentless blue attacks were just too much to deal with when the gameplan from the start (never mind the early lead) would have been to expect France to keep the ball, and for the team to do one hell of a lot of running.

Iceland, on the other hand, haven't played in six days. They're fresher than Ireland were, and they've got more experience playing together as a unit. They also showed that heads don't drop when they go behind, rescuing a point against Portugal and turning around the England game, so if France take the lead early it won't be game over.

It won't be easy and France are definitely favourites for good reason, but Iceland have more than a snifter of a chance.