Euro 2016 thread

Pandy

Yeah I Drinkwater was great for Leicester this season as part of that specific team, he hasn't looked quite the same player in this squad.  

I would have taken Townsend over Barkley based on form and impact.

Our midfield consists of this:

DM/Holding = Dier

CM = Wilshire, Henderson, Milner

Wide Forwards = Sterling, Lallana

Forwards =  Barkley, Alli, Rooney

Considering Dier will cover CB if he Cahil/Stones/Smalling get injured, we're very light on on the DM/Holding position and Drinkwater would have given a much more balanced side.  I know any of the above CMs can play DM, it's not ideal.

I think it's a mistake to take three injured players. Crazy. Wilshere, Henderson, and Sturridge are all carrying injuries into a major tournament. Two of those three barely merit inclusion on the basis of ability when fit. I would have taken Drinkwater instead of Henderson, and Townsend instead of Sturridge.

This England team needs two holding midfielders, so I don't understand the logic of jettisoning Drinkwater. Hodgson must be planning to play Dier, alongside one of Henderson, Milner, a far-from match fit Wilshere, or maybe even Rooney there. None of them are exactly convincing. Henderson isn't a holding midfielder, Milner would be no better than mediocre, it's not his position. Rooney would be a mistake as he's played maybe twenty games there. Fine for the rough and tumble Premier League, but against a tactically astute international team, he'll get found out.

Everything points towards England playing a 4-4-2 diamond. The lack of wingers, one holding midfielder, several boring midfield shuttlers. If Delphi had been fit he would have gone. We're going to get Dier at the base, Henderson and Milner on the sides, and Rooney at the point. That is a rubbish midfield. It's not a formation I like anyway.  Smart teams expose your lack of width by simply overlapping the full-backs, getting a two-on-one more or less whenever they want. When the holding midfielder drops back slightly it just becomes a 5-3-2 in disguise.

I do like how many goalscorers we have in the squad though. Kane and Vardy seem to score every time they play, Rooney is still scoring regularly for England, and has over 50 international goals, Sturridge can put the ball in the net, and you wouldn't put it past Rashford to make the step up to a major international tournament as easily as he seems to have every other step up in his career so far.

We're very strong up front, a bit average in midfield, and absolutely terrible in defence. Oh, and we have a good keeper. A recipe for a quarter final, I reckon. 

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I think it's a mistake to take three injured players. Crazy. Wilshere, Henderson, and Sturridge are all carrying injuries into a major tournament. Two of those three barely merit inclusion on the basis of ability when fit. I would have taken Drinkwater instead of Henderson, and Townsend instead of Sturridge.

This England team needs two holding midfielders, so I don't understand the logic of jettisoning Drinkwater. Hodgson must be planning to play Dier, alongside one of Henderson, Milner, a far-from match fit Wilshere, or maybe even Rooney there. None of them are exactly convincing. Henderson isn't a holding midfielder, Milner would be no better than mediocre, it's not his position. Rooney would be a mistake as he's played maybe twenty games there. Fine for the rough and tumble Premier League, but against a tactically astute international team, he'll get found out.

Everything points towards England playing a 4-4-2 diamond. The lack of wingers, one holding midfielder, several boring midfield shuttlers. If Delphi had been fit he would have gone. We're going to get Dier at the base, Henderson and Milner on the sides, and Rooney at the point. That is a rubbish midfield. It's not a formation I like anyway.  Smart teams expose your lack of width by simply overlapping the full-backs, getting a two-on-one more or less whenever they want. When the holding midfielder drops back slightly it just becomes a 5-3-2 in disguise.

I'm not really sure what your definition of 'carrying an injury' is but it doesn't chime with mine.. nor most peoples I'd guess. Certainly not the English medical teams. The worse you could say about Wilshere and Henderson is they are not 100% match fit. Sturridge fair enough, he's been given the ok but we all suspect him to break at a moments notice.

Well "not match fit" then.  You're right, it wasn't the correct choice of words.  Wilshere and Henderson are not fit, and may not recover match fitness in time for the tournament.  The injuries themselves are most likely not fully healed.  It's not like a binary thing. It's not that you're injured, then suddenly not injured - recovery is a gradual process.  They may end up reinjuring themselves by trying to play too much too early.  Each one is a risk, and three risks in the same squad is a huge risk.

I think Barkley's put on too much muscle and he's not as mobile; he needs to get off the weights. I'm surprised Wilshire is even in the squad as he's barely played and is as injury prone as Sturridge. It's not a revolutionary squad - the most creative player in that midfield is Wayne Rooney.

How does Milner make so many squads?

Looking at the squad, it's clear that Hodgson is a coward. He doesn't pick Walcott because he didn't have minutes under his belt, yet Wilshere is straight in there. Drinkwater was one of the best players in the Prem last season but he sticks with Henderson despite him never doing anything worthwhile in his career. Barkley has been absolutely useless whereas Townsend has been great whenever he plays but again he goes with the bigger name. 

England will crash and burn in this tournament. Not just because they have an awful defence but because of the lack of ambition of the manager. 

Ireland have just released their squad too. It's pretty predictable as they have fewer options but again, it's disappointing to see some of the old guard get picked ahead of the players whose form should merit a pick, such as McGeady over McGoldrick. O'Kane from Bournemouth has also played well whenever he started but there was no place for him either. Getting out of the group is as much as can be realistically hoped for.

This is an outrage.

Hodgson hasn't lost the plot. He just hasn't had it for years.

His dull, pedestrian style of idiocy is only matched by his picking of the players from the bigger clubs, or the popular types.

This may have suited his reign at boring Switzerland or any Italian club ever, however he's constantly found out when he goes anywhere with class - you all know I'm talking about his stint in the North West, at Blackburn.

You know I think he's a actually a staunch Brexit campaigner. He wants us out of Europe as soon as possible. With this squad and his tactics we are on a one way ticket to a return ticket. An early one.

His constant fawning over his 'favourites' is nothing short of a national disgrace.

I'm happy, for once, to put Rooney to one side* and say that he's actually needed. Because for once the pressure isn't on him and he MIGHT act like a grown up.

The real crimes here is the picking of players like Wilshire and Henderson.

Both injured, both different. Different in that a fit JW would have improved Arsenal this season. And an injured Henderson improved Liverpool when he wasn't available.

Either way its a disgraceful decision by uncle Roy, who rounds up his preferred boys in his child-catcher esque England van, cackling all the way to the Euros. My boyyysss. My preciousses!

He is the Jeremy Hunt of football, yet with less accountability.

He has more chance of winning the Euromillions this summer and he doesn't need to - because his contract from the FA is basically thievery from grass roots football. He oversees a group of players who likely have more respect for Alan Pardew than this crazy old coot. At least the Pards played some football.

He will fail, he will be sacked, we will go back to a foreign manager. Who will fail. And be sacked. And we will go back to an English manager.

All while Greg Dyke keeps checking the time during another boys club FA meeting on a lovely shiny watch. He's off to a lunch later with Karen Brady.

6 hours ago, Dinobot said:

With this squad and his tactics we are on a one way ticket to a return ticket. An early one.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate."

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Looking at the squad, it's clear that Hodgson is a coward. He doesn't pick Walcott because he didn't have minutes under his belt, yet Wilshere is straight in there. Drinkwater was one of the best players in the Prem last season but he sticks with Henderson despite him never doing anything worthwhile in his career. Barkley has been absolutely useless whereas Townsend has been great whenever he plays but again he goes with the bigger name. 

Walcott hasn't had minutes because he's been dogshit pretty much all season, so it's hardly comparable to Wilshere who was out injured for all that time.

And Hodgson did give Drinkwater a fair crack of the whip but let's be honest, he didn't do anything to suggest he would have been particularly useful. In that situation any international manager is going to defer to the more experienced player.

Dier, Alli and (to a lesser extent, but quicker) Rashford all turned up in an England shirt and did exactly what they were meant to do. Drinkwater...Didn't really. To be fair, even at Leicester he's in a slightly vague role due to Kante, so I'm not really sure he'd have worked perfectly without calling him up too which I believe would have taken quite a lot of paperwork. In the end, neither Wilshere nor Henderson are utterly required, if both explode I don't think it'll greatly affect our chances, so I'm fine with leaving Drinkwater out and taking them.

I think this is the best team we've had at a tournament since...98? We had great players since then, but they never really made a team. This feels pretty coherent and on for the quarter finals. I just hope we're not too timid/complacent in the group. If we can storm that, and we could, it'd make a vast difference to going a bit further.

I think Dinobot might have just done a joke, but I've genuinely no idea. I like how he still can't spell Wilshere and just had a stray asterisk floating around though.

I think the England squad looks pretty strong. They've got to be in with a shout. Still don't know about Hodgson though. I always rated him as an international manager but he really came unstuck in the Premier League - and that anecdote in the Roy Keane autobiography about him just panicking really doesn't instill too much confidence. 

Bit disappointed with the Ireland squad. I realise Robbie Keane has a ton of experience, but he's hardly at the peak of his career and if he's injured why not take a chance on someone with a bit more potential? Mind you, given the amount of luck they will need to progress I guess such a marginal call shouldn't make too much difference (crosses fingers).

2 hours ago, Tourist said:

and that anecdote in the Roy Keane autobiography about him just panicking really doesn't instill too much confidence.

Nope, no idea. A casual google doesn't throw up anything either, care to elucidate?

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

Nope, no idea. A casual google doesn't throw up anything either, care to elucidate?

We came back, went to Fulham and beat them, 3–1. It was a comfortable victory. We played well.
As a manager I was enjoying the chats with other managers after the games. Not so much enjoying
what was being said, but picking up on their vibes and listening out for a little snippet of wisdom. I’d be
thinking, ‘What makes this club work?’, or ‘What are the staff like?’ So I went up to see Roy Hodgson,
the Fulham manager, and his assistant, Ray Lewington. It was like the scene in Steve Cotterill’s office at
Burnley the year before, but without the humour. Steve had turned his disappointment into a joke, but
this was different. They were all going, ‘We’re fucked, we’re fucked.’
It was embarrassing. I had my Diet Coke and one of those little sausages, and we left. I remember
thinking, ‘My goodness, they are fucked.’
But they stayed up. Roy got the Liverpool job, and now he’s managing England.

20 minutes ago, One Eye said:

I don't find that odd/troubling at all.

Am I alone?

No.

I do like the attack minded vibe of this team. If you don't have loads of great defenders to choose from then why not tilt things towards offense? Not much width, and I understand why some think Townsend should be there, but I can see England scoring, especially against other attacking sides. 

Just hope that they perform as they actually can, and don't do an England again. Again. 

Come on England, whoop Russia in that first game. 

32 minutes ago, One Eye said:

I don't find that odd/troubling at all.

Am I alone?

You don't find it slightly worrying that the manager of your national team a) has a tendency to panic when the chips are down, and b) finds it difficult to keep his panic to himself? 

I think the most successful managers are the ones who make things simplest for their players, and that includes removing any sort of doubts or anxieties that they might have about how to cope with difficult situations. I think England players have enough doubts and anxieties without needing to cope with the manager's. And I think Hodgson's career in the Premier League suggest that he has a tendency to lose the support of his players when the chips are down.