Euro 2016 thread

Pandy

1 hour ago, tbb said:

Has everyone forgotten about the 500 shots Sturridge blasted at the nearest defenders legs? Yes he scored today but he still shouldn't have even been in the squad.

The fuck is this post.

He was involved in a lot after coming on, and was far, far more productive than Vardy who had about three touches in 45 minutes.

26 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

How amazing would it be if all four "home" nations (apologies to Republic of Ireland fans, I'm including you here) went through?

At this point, it's looking like the only outsider in that collection won't!

That second goal could prove crucial for NI as well, given goal difference is the first criterion after points in the third-place ranking. If they can avoid a shellacking by Germany they could be sitting pretty. Already guaranteed third place at worst, too.

Tonight's match!

If Germany fail to win, Ukraine will be the first side knocked out of the tournament.

If Poland win, they win the group.

If Poland win 1-0, then because of their identical records, the Northern Ireland v Germany game will go to a penalty shootout if the ninety minutes can't produce a winner.

3 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

As noted, England would have 5 and Wales 3 points, but in the hypothetical scenario, it goes down to disciplinary record over the tournament, followed by UEFA ranking.

You sexy talking football hussy x

Roy got out of jail.

I'd say always play Sturridge because he's class yet he's glass.

The reality is Kane doesn't look like a player at this level and Vardy does. Kane can't start the next game, Vardy deserves his crack.

52 minutes ago, Liamness said:

Despite the silly push which have Wales the free kick for their goal, I do think the Rooney-as-a-central-midfielder experiment is largely working. He is a better passer of the ball than perhaps anyone in the squad besides Wilshire. I particularly noted that he's basically the only one who will give the ball to a teammate who's under pressure. Can't always play safe balls if you want to break a team down. Alli seemed to be paying further up than him too, so he wasn't even doing his usual trick of being a striker who stands in a midfield position occasionally.

I am perhaps irrationally critical of Rooney because of what I see as his arrogance to not work on his sharpness and the entitlement that's been afforded to him, but I agree i don't think anyone else would spray the ball like he does, and while for United it annoys me when he plays further forward and does the same before waiting for the inevitable cross, I think for England it's working more. It's just the alertness when receiving the ball, in tighter pressurized midfields he will lose the ball more, against France say, Kante might haunt him. The fantastic drilled pass to Kane and the pass to Alli, both against Russia show a passing range others wouldn't commit to i don't think so readily. And he tracked back, and got forward to have a good shot on target, as he did against Wales. I just wonder about his energy levels and sharpness. Hodgson needs to be smart I think, and switch the team around a lot more to suit each team, if the midfield he's facing is better and Rooney won't have the space to spray the ball about because the opposing team won't be sitting so deep, play Alli alongside Dier, and Wilshere at no 10. But as this game's starting line-up showed, he might just stick to what has worked before, and as the commentator said, be more reactive (when it proves to not be working) rather than pro active. I hope he's flexible, at least in this game Kane stopped taking corners and set plays.

Does anyone know where I can watch highlights from the England game other than iplayer? I am abroad so that doesnt work and all the videos on YouTube seem to have massive borders which chop half the picture off

3 minutes ago, tobert said:

Does anyone know where I can watch highlights from the England game other than iplayer? I am abroad so that doesnt work and all the videos on YouTube seem to have massive borders which chop half the picture off

This any good for you?

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016/06/16/england-vs-wales-highlights-full-match/

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

As for Hodgson, we all criticised him for his substitutions in the last match, so we should absolutely give him a lot of credit for his substitutions this time.  The subs won the game, you have to give the manager credit when that happens.

Good point.

Well done on scraping through against two inferior teams. Inspirational.

I am keeping the faith though. If we can crack on the belief we've shown here will stand us in good stead.

Although I disagree about Kane. He just looks like a bit of a clogger at this level.

Vardy terrifies defences and Sturridge has that match winning ability that ohhhh, I was always going on about and ohhh look.

They aren't exactly known for their flights of fancy, unless they are delirious with syphillis and believe they are Dionysus, like Nietzsche towards the end of his life, writing letters of quite brilliant, fevered insanity, signed as such.

Matthäus just straight bats everything, it's great, especially next to the human Jack-in-a-Box Ian Wright.

They've set a low bar previously but think ITV's coverage is vastly improved. Mind you, I normally get Keys & Gray, so a tramp in a football shirt shouting into a bin would be decent by comparison.

Case in point, was out for England yesterday, so had BeIn coverage, and Keys suggested the linesman should have flagged Vardy offside, 'just in case'. What's that Dick, he should guess rather than react to what he's observed? Keys is always looking for clouds on silver linings, he's an odious cretin. So, viva ITV!

England now look really strong to me, a real handful. I don't think Wales were 'shit' at all, they defended stubbornly.

Breaking teams down hasn't been our best area but Sturridge is exactly the man to improve it. We're probably going to see a lot of congested defences and he must start. So should Vardy really, with his no nonsense killer instinct.

Props to Hodgson and the whole team I think they're doing great.