Hi all.

I've currently got a UK NES with an Everdrive type of cart for it. I can play 100's of awesome old NES games at a the press of a button. However, from watching programs like Game Center CX, I've always wanted a Famicom along with those quirky Famicom games. The cases, the colours, the indecipherable text :wacko: all make me want to collect a few key Famicom titles.

I've just bought an AV modded Famicom (arriving this week sometime) but would like to ask your opinions on what games I should buy for it. Not necessarily the best games (though they must be good fun still) but one that tick off one or more of:

1. I can play due to them not having too much (any?) japanese in them
  2. Are classics for the system or just top games (Rockman, Akumajō Densetsu etc.)
  3. Aren't available on the NES (Jap only releases)
  4. Have quirky or interesting cartridges and/or boxes.

Any suggestions?

P.S. If you know of anyone selling one or more Famicom games in the UK that would be great too.

Cheers...

A few recommendations:

Gun-Dec - A shmup/platforming hybrid which I seem to recall enjoying quite a lot, but haven't actually played for years.
S.C.A.T is worth getting. A great shmup by Natsume, who also made the brilliant Omega Five on XBLA. It did get a release here though, under the slightly less disturbing moniker Action In New York.
Penguin-Kun Wars - A sort of air hockey variant with animal opponents. Game Boy version was released here as King of the Zoo. A pretty fun distraction.

I enjoyed Magical Taru-to Kun:

There is some pointless dialogue you can just skip, and some Japanese in the menus (there's a shop/items), but the main bulk of the game is a fun platformer that requires no language knowledge.

I don't recommend the sequel though, it wasn't anywhere near as good.

There ones should be fine without any Japanese knowledge:

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti, but I think it's pretty expensive now.

Also, another platfomer, a cute spin-off from Castlevania:

Robokko Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGNKIW9hPsI

EDIT:

Oh yeah, King Kong 2 was famicom exclusive too. Pretty sure this one is actually cheap unlike the others:

And Armadillo too:

• Upvote 2

On the subject of the NES/FC, can somebody please tell me what I should be using to clean my cart contacts/cart slot. I'm sick of seeing that crutch grey screen every time I try to play something. I've seen recommendations for Isopropyl and for Brasso. Is Brasso really ok to use? With isopropyl, I've read that you need to be careful of the contents as some might contain oil or too much water or something?

Help!

• 5 months later...

Step 1 in my long-term Famicom project came to fruition today; behold!

36ef84f2ff1633c789e0bcfce1ad20ce.jpg

It all works! The AV Famicom and pads were from a UK-bloke-in-Japan eBay seller, while the game, N64 AV cable and Megadrive 1 power supply were all from domestic eBay sellers. A bit of a dicey moment when I first turned it on and got nothing but a magenta screen, but the old blowing-on-the-contacts trick fixed that. I think I'll invest in some of that isopropyl, though.

The Famicom is beautiful - I think it must have been a later model to start with, and it has no yellowing at all. The seller said (after purchase) that he suspected it might have never been used. The only downside is the ridiculously short cables on the Japanese dogbone controllers - they're only 3ft or so.

I have no emotional attachment to Flipull, but it was cheap, in good condition, said it was tested and looked not bad. Just had a go, and it's quite compelling, reminds me of Puzznic.

Long term plan is to either RGB mod it and get a Framemeister, or to fit the upcoming Hi-Def NES HDMI mod. Also to pick up an Everdrive N8 - I might collect a few original carts, but want to try before I buy. Grand goal/excuse is to play some nice simple 2 button games with my daughter, who's 4 this year.

Before I get there though, I'm going to practice my soldering on a gameboy backlight/bivert mod. And have another go on Flipull…

• Upvote 7
You can buy extensions for the controllers quite cheaply, as they're the same connectors as the NES.

Yeah, you can use the Four Score too, which I think might be the route I go down. That has an extra 6ft of cable on it.

Excellent stuff! 

I also own an AV Famicom and have done all the extra bits that you've mentioned.

It's got the RGB mod, which looks utterly stunning through my framemeister and the Everdrive solution works perfectly. Literally the entire US and Jap selection of games at your finger tips, and it only weighs in at about 1.4 GB. 

I do find with mine that if I wiggle the cart even a little bit while it's on will result in the entire game crashing, displaying junk on screen. 

Does this also happen with your one? I think it's normal as I've seen it happen with a different AV Famicom.  

My gamebit screwdriver heads arrived last week, so I popped the top off tonight, to take a look at the board.

87804efb66edf87ef1d6a83516d13a30.jpg

Clean as a whistle, and no sign of bulging from the caps. CPU and PPU are both revision H. The board's a CPU-02 revision, so it's a post-1995 model - this is newer than an original PlayStation! Nintendo was still selling these as late as 2003 in Japan, so who knows when it was made.

Kevvy - I haven't tried cart wobbling, will wire it up tomorrow and give it a poke.

• Upvote 1

A new toy has arrived from the Ukraine!

0d8ba3ad5e151f62bb04c453ab873943.jpg

(Accidental Ashens tribute sofa)

My new Famicom Everdrive N8. Took the risk and ordered straight from Krikzz, as I loved the white, pulse-line cart he offers, while the Retro Towers labels look so tacky. Got away with it too, no customs sting.

Seems to work well - gave Super Mario Bros and Famicom Disk System Metroid a go, and both worked without problems.

e97dc2d0b51334749e9a6b42543a7806.jpg

However, an AV connection into a 1080p panel does look pretty damn awful. Next step is to fix that.

On the plus side, the input lag on my Sony, with all the various enhancey features turned off, wasn't noticeable playing Mario, so I think it should be very happy running via a Framemeister, as I believe that exerts less lag than having the TV upscale analogue inputs.

• Upvote 5
I do find with mine that if I wiggle the cart even a little bit while it's on will result in the entire game crashing, displaying junk on screen.

Does this also happen with your one? I think it's normal as I've seen it happen with a different AV Famicom.

Just tested, and mine does the same, at least with Flipull - didn't try with the Everdrive.

• Upvote 1

Excellent stuff! That white Overprice looks totally amazing for sure! I did get mine from Retrotowers and it has those crap stickers on it. That white one looks much better. 

Also yup! Thanks for testing it! It just seems to be a Famicom thing in general! Gotta not touch that cart at all while its on I guess :)

Woo!

20160701_072200562_iOS.jpg

And indeed, yay!

20160702_215729224_iOS.jpg

Christ, the Framemeister is a bit fiddly. Eventually got there by following the instructions on the wiki for the most part, but I had to increase my H-Width by 1 to remove a grey bar down the left side of the display, and I also had to tweak some settings in the TV*. I'm running 1080p with scanlines (default params), and I'm pretty happy with it, particularly considering it's a composite source. Much, much brighter than plugging straight into the TV, and the scanlines make things look much better. A bit of bendiness going on at the very top, but that's presumably down to the crappy AV cables. This quick phone shot doesn't really do justice to how nice it looks in motion. Also, if there is lag, I haven't noticed it.

* discovered that I wasn't running in Full Pixel mode, meaning I'd been overscanning slightly all this time. It was hidden deep in the system wide settings, not the per input settings, so I hadn't found it. I'm so ashamed.

Had a great little session playing Ice Climber, Balloon Fight and Mario Bros Classic (the '93 remake) with my daughter earlier. She also liked moving Mega Man around, but the bastard-hard nature of the game soon put her off. For my part, I'm new to Megaman, and I'm enjoying its hardcore nature - managed to beat Gutsman (those goddamn moving platforms!) and Cutman earlier, but died on my way to Elecman (those disappearing blocks!). Jeremy Parish's Twitch Megamanathon is part of what's inspired me to pick up a Famicom, so I'm looking forward to mastering the series.

Next step of project Famicom - going RGB. This is probably where I screw everything up and destroy the mainboard. First thing is to acquire the mod board and the equipment... after another game of Megaman.

• Upvote 5

@Alexlotl

Excellent stuff! Framemeister is an excellent toy, and a while after getting mine I ended up with 4 extra new retro consoles to enjoy upscaled over RGB. 

The Famicom with an RGB mod is the most fun I've had with my new found interest in retro stuff. It looks really awesome and super pixel sharp. 

I got my AV Famicom modded by the official distributor of the NESRGB board. All went down smoothly! - http://www.oldskoolkonsoles.com/

• Upvote 1

Yeah, spotted him - but I'm quietly determined to my own soldering for some reason.

As for the console creep, yeah, I hear you. Picked up an NTSC-J Mega Drive 2 on eBay yesterday, and I have longer term aspirations for a Master System and an SFC.

• Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

I've recently bought an Everdrive N8 for my NES (cheers, boyo!) and I'm after some recommendations too!  I'm not after the obvious ones I could go and Google for myself, since I've got them already, but does anyone have any more hidden gems I ought to check out? 

9 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I've recently bought an Everdrive N8 for my NES (cheers, boyo!) and I'm after some recommendations too!  I'm not after the obvious ones I could go and Google for myself, since I've got them already, but does anyone have any more hidden gems I ought to check out? 

If you want to go full NES/Famicom Everdrive... I recommend googling "smokemonster" and everdrive. That guy have a nicely packaged up archive of good rom dumps all organised nicely for your new toy. 

• Upvote 1