IGNORED

Favourite Films of 2015

lordcookie

1.Mad Max Fury Road

Seen this twice at the cinema and three times on Blu Ray. Everything else was made to look just ok, so here's the rest in no particular order

Sicario

- After Prisoners I'd watch anything Denis Vileneuve and Roger Deakins work on. Blade Runner 2 went from a fuck no to a fuck yes when they announced it as their next project.

Legend

- I'll watch anything with Tom Hardy in it and thought he was fantastic in this. It's always a pleasure to watch a 'proper british' film written by a yank.

Chappie

- I love Neil Blomkamp and his visual designs were fantastic in this. The script is poor and some of the casting decisions...yikes but the sheer WTFness of it along with the great action kept me thoroughly entertained. It's a blatant love letter to Robocop

Ted 2

- Liked this one better than the first. It's really, really funny throughout.

Star Wars : TFA

- Saw this the other day and well it's about as good as any SW comeback movie you could hope for. Also the fact it's going to knock that shitty smurf movie Avatar of the all time box office chart is doing wonders for my goodwill toward it

Run All Night

- Criminally overlooked I thought. Another good Hard-R actioner being overlooked and by far the best action film he's done since Taken. It looked and felt like a Walter Hill film , it's even got a Nick Nolte cameo for christsake

Southpaw

- Finally a boxing movie with really, really good fight scenes. It's a ghetto trash remake of Rocky III with a fantastic Gyllenhall performance. I enjoyed recent stuff like the Fighter more for what happens out the ring than in it but this was ludicrously exciting .

John Wick

- A tad overrated but it is so good to see Keanu kicking major ass. The club scene is a definite action highlight of the year, Keanu Hotline Miami's his way through it like a man possessed.

Big Hero 6

- I cried twice like a big girl and have no shame in saying so. The best kids but adults will love it film in ages

Best films I saw this year that weren't released this year (in the UK at least)

Enemy

The Guest

Bronson

Fury

Robocop (50th viewing by now)

I had intended it for films released this year but it doesn't matter if you also want to include earlier films too.

Thanks. In which case, my selection of best films first watched this year would be (in no particular order):

Ex Machina - Science fiction stand out of the year for me. Beautifully designed and paced.

Inherent Vice - big Pynchon fan and this was a great adaptation.

Mr Turner - just lush.

Wadija - want to know what it's like for women in Saudi? - watch this film, which is ostensibly about a young girl but much more revealing about the experience of adult women.

Cria Cuervos - a heartbreaking yet uplifting picture of childhood loss and memory - the stunning Ana Torrent being the key.

Marshlands - second Spanish language film of the list, powerful but understated crime piece.

Leviathan (the Russian film) - brilliant, if lengthy, depiction of life in modern Russia.

The Hourglass Symposium - Polish language classic, based on the Street of Crocodiles writings by Bruno Schulze - think Terry Gillam but better.

Wooden Crosses (sounds better in French - Les Crois de Bois) - oldest film on the list from 1932, features the experiences of a group of French soldiers in WW1, also enjoyed watching the features about film restoration etc as well.

What happened Miss Simone? - documentary of the year. I had only known the music, not the politics.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru

Here is mine;

10.StarWars - People going around looking for a map
9.SteveJobs - Techie walks around backstage in a bad mood
8.ExMachina - Techie makes a clever robot, problems pursue
7.BeastsOfNoNation - Some guns and hats are forced onto kids
6.TheHateful8 - Some people hang around in a cabin for a bit
5.MadMax - People driving around getting muddy
4.Room - Mother and daughter get stuck in a room
3.Sicario - Some cops go to Mexico to investigate chopped bodies
2.TheRevenent - DiCaprio walks around mountains very slowly
1.TheLobster - Chap looks for love to avoid becoming a lobster

Cria Cuervos - a heartbreaking yet uplifting picture of childhood loss and memory - the stunning Ana Torrent being the key.

Wooden Crosses (sounds better in French - Les Crois de Bois) - oldest film on the list from 1932, features the experiences of a group of French soldiers in WW1, also enjoyed watching the features about restoration etc as well.

Two excellent choices.

Prior to the arrival of my baby daughter I would typically watch at least 100 films a year, but this year I have seen a total of two films:

1 - Inside Out

2 - It Follows

Both very enjoyable, but I would expect Inside Out to be near the top even if I had of watched lots of other movies this year, its brilliant.