IGNORED

First Game You Can Remember Playing

Goose

The first game I remember playing was one of those home pong style consoles. It was made by Ingersoll, I think. That was christmas 1978. I soon got bored of it though and probably wouldn't have bothered much with video games ever again.

However, the following summer I was on holiday in Blackpool. It was there that I discovered Space Invaders in the arcades. I'd never seen or heard of an arcade until that point. Seeing all those machines (and their various copycat clones) lined up row upon row was a revelation! There were other games that were like Space Invaders too, that I can't remember the names of, where graphics would be different and the rules would be different. There was one where a few invaders would kind of break formation and one of the bonus ships would move across near the bottom of the screen. Wish I could remember the name of that one so I can MAME it...

The Deluxe Space Invaders cabinet was the most impressive though. It had a kind of flat model diorama in the cabinet, depicting the surface of the moon, with stars and space behind it. The video image was reflected onto a piece of glass in front of this and it all looked very impressive and futuristic. Not stopped playing since then.

Difficult to remember precise timelines - I've always been fascinated by computers, and videogames were right up my street from the start.

It's most likely to have been a home Pong variant at a mate's house; but I have memories of family/school trips to Blackpool in the 70s, where I'd play early electro-mechanical games (I recall one where you sat on a chair that whizzed around a central area, where UFOs were projected onto a screen).

Early video games I recall playing in arcades, chippies, motorway services and so on include Night Driver, Gun Fight, Dogfight/Biplane - I suspect Gun Fight may have been the very first.

Space Invaders/Galaxians feel much later to me.

The first game I can remember playing is this.

post-17274-0-08561100-1451909193.jpg

on the Commodore 64

It's definitely not the first game I played. We had an Atari of some description before that and I have vague memories of playing arcade games on holiday when I probably would have been younger. We also bought a handful of other games when we bought the C64 (a pacman clone called, I think, Barracuda and some star fighter game) but I have a very distinct memory of playing this, the whole family sitting on the floor of the living room, taking turns to have a go.

I think it's the very clear, bold, cartoony sprites that make it stand out so much and stick in the memory.

Difficult to remember precise timelines - I've always been fascinated by computers, and videogames were right up my street from the start.

It's most likely to have been a home Pong variant at a mate's house; but I have memories of family/school trips to Blackpool in the 70s, where I'd play early electro-mechanical games (I recall one where you sat on a chair that whizzed around a central area, where UFOs were projected onto a screen).

Early video games I recall playing in arcades, chippies, motorway services and so on include Night Driver, Gun Fight, Dogfight/Biplane - I suspect Gun Fight may have been the very first.

Space Invaders/Galaxians feel much later to me.

Things were quite similar for me too actually, thinking about it. I definitely remember playing Gun Fight, which may have been even before the home Pong thing I had. My memory is actually a little fuzzy about what may have been my first. I remember playing a really old vector car game too, although I can't remember the name of it. I also remember playing a game which may have been called 'Circus'. You used a dial to control a see saw which you could move left and right and attempted to keep two acrobats bouncing in order to pop balloons at the top of the screen. It was a lot like 'Breakout' and I later had 'Circus Atari' on my Atari VCS, partly because of playing that earlier game.

I hated videogames to begin with. The first game I remember playing was Pong, I thought it was a crock of shit. I also hated Asteroids, Pac Man and Space Invaders too. I didn't really get into games until 85 when Green Beret and Ghosts n'Goblins were released. I still play both on MAME every Xmas to keep my skillz in check.

Harrier Attack on the Amstrad CPC464. Still have a soft spot for it now.

Harrier Attack was awesome! I played it on my grandad's green screen CPC464, probably around '85 / '86.

I loved bombing as many buildings as possible near the end of the level. I also used to bomb my own carrier at the start of the level just for shits and giggles?!

There were some genuinely good games buried amonst the dross in the Amstrad packs. I loved Roland on the Ropes, Roland in Space/Time/The Caves, Oh Mummy, Harrier Attack and so on.

One of my favourites which barely anyone seems to remember according to the internet, was Satellite Warrior. A space strategy/combat game in which you'd trades with representatives of alien races for parts with which to build satellites that you'd launch into orbit around various moons in order to gather resources. Alien races would be doing the same thing and when two enemy satellites met at the same destination, it would switch into a combat game where you'd pilot (unless you'd neglected to equip it with a motor) your death-dealing machine of death (unless you'd neglected to equip it with any weaponry) against theirs to vie for control of the moon, and ultimately, the galaxy. I'd lose hours to it in a sitting and the writing used to amuse me.

A very clever game given the limitations of the hardware and the time at which it appeared.

post-10858-0-06041900-1452072304.txt

• 8 months later...