IGNORED

What games did you complete? 2016 Edition

Gabe

21/02/2016 - Adventures of Bertram Fiddle: Episode 1: A Dreadly Business (PC)

Barely switched my PC on this month so wanted to feel like I've accomplished something and so went for something that would be brief.

Not much to say about this little adventure game, really, other than I really like the art style. Like a lot of titles on Steam these days, this launched as an episodic series despite no funding existing for other episodes (a successful Kickstarter has allowed episode 2 to start production) and is short - it took me about 90 minutes but I did go and do some other things whilst playing.

The problem with such titles is that to try and tell any kind of satisfying story, include some puzzles and leave some threads for a future episode is a tall ask and so it doesn't really come together. It takes what I dub the 'Telltale' format - i.e. there's a bit of walking around, some items to pick up and not do a lot with and then you're done. Most of the objects you pick up are used in the immediate area you're in so there isn't a great amount of thought needed so it's very much adventure-game lite in that respect. The story kind of stops without getting going and what lured in me in from the trailer - a bit of surrealist humour - isn't present.

It's below-average, really, which is a shame because I really do like the art style.

Hmm, guess there is a little to say!

2/5

Spoiler

Previously completed:

31/01/2016 - Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC)

30/01/2016 - The Bureau: XCOM Declassified (PC) 3/5

01/01/2016 - Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald (PC) 1/5

Dreamfall Chapters - Chapter 4, Second Playthrough 
The Talos Principle 
Strider
 Assassins Creed: Rogue

Binary Domain - Basically "what if Gears of War was made by Japanese developers", i.e. lots of silly cutscenes that would easily fit in Resident Evil, a far more unhinged plot, bosses and world and a faster paced, more technical combat system. Also it has a very affable French combat robot, so instantly puts Dom and Crew in the shade.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - I don't quite get the praise for this, is it due to being a singleplayer £10 shooter instead of the endless multiplayer £10 shooters? Anyway, it's all garish and covered in pop up text and XP systems and tries to stick as much stuff from Call of Duty in it as possible like slowmo breaching doors and old west bandits using outhouse doors as riot shields.

Grow Home - Quite enjoyed this, did a double take at the clock when I saw how long I'd been playing, completed it in a single session. All of the movement mechanics work wonderfully, and there's a good deal of physical humour in your characters procedural animation and hauling the various un-cooperative animals about. It's the sort of thing that would have blown people away in the N64 or PS1 era.

SOMA. One of the most interesting things I've ever played. Loved it.

Spoiler

05/04 - The Witcher 3 - Hearts of Stone (PS4) - Possibly the best, most rewarding story DLC I've ever played. Obscenely good value for money in terms of how much work was put into it, and the writing is as strong as ever. Roll on Blood & Wine!

08/03 - Helldivers (PS4) - I wanted to like this more than I did. No idea if there's actually an 'end' to the game, as I just dropped in an out of multiplayer games when I had some spare time, but it does seem a bit aimless, really. With a good team it can become a really tight, tensely enjoyable experience at the higher difficulties, but too often it's a dull slog, of respawning and failure against a bunch of enemies you often can't see on screen because the camera is so zoomed in. Weird game.

08/03 - Cosmophony (PS4) - Became too difficut for me on the last of the five levels and I couldn't finish it, so here we are. It's a pretty straight-forward, low-budget tunnel rhythm action thing. Cheap, forgettable fun.

22/02 - SOMA (PS4) - That rare game that asks you to seriously reflect on the themes it explores. It's a real compliment that the comparisons I made when describing this game to a friend were to SF novels like Greg Bear's Blood Music, with that same sense of something unknowable having run out of control, forcing us to think about what it is to be human. Some of the horror encounters lay it on a bit thick, but are generally important in establishing the tension that heightens everything between. Does that thing of strongly conveying a hard fought journey, too, which I adore in games.

18/02 - The Witcher III - Wild Hunt (PS4) - Even setting aside the visuals, which are bloody spectacular, this is easily one of the most impressive achievements I've experienced in gaming for some time. The sheer scope and ambition of it is impressive, but it's the quality of the writing that really does it. Manages to be engaging, emotive and naturalistic even when you're engaging in the silliest of fantasy quests. I could write about it for days but this isn't really the thread for that, so I'll just say that this is the first game in about half a decade to keep me captivated for over a hundred hours, and is easily the game of the generation so far.

02/02 - Papers, Please (PC) - Dystopian paperwork sim. Finally got round to playing this, and embarrassed that I left it so long. A genuinely original, well-made and emotionally and intellectually resonant game. Aesthetically, everything from the glum, gibberish vocal snippets to the colour palette is pitch-perfect. Everyone should play it.
01/02 - Yakuza 4 (PS3)- My frist Yakuza in the series and I loved it. Great combat, engaging story, fun diversions and a focussed, well-realised game world. I found myself more interested in the first playable character than the later ones, but the way the plot hangs together is surprisingly well done, even though it hinges on a ridiculous conceit that only makes sense in video game land. Sadly there's some pretty gross sexist crap in the game that taints the otherwise positive impression I had, but that's a much longer discussion to be had another time.
25/01 - Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty (PS4) - I completed this a load of times as a kid, and the slow realisation that this is basically identical other than the audio-visual rebuild put me off finishing it again. It does a good job on that front, though, and retains that particularly 90s pre-rendered look in the real-time visuals along withall the benefits that brings. I approve of what I played.
24/01 - Game of Thrones (PS4) - The story was surprisingly riveting, perhaps because it plays out very faithfully to the TV show and feeds off the audience's investment in the characters, but in contrast with Tales of the Borderlands I often felt the wheels were coming off the Telltale wagon during this. So much ropey animation, stuttering sound and too many glitches, ropey graphical effects and dull QTEs by far. Voice acting can be a bit wobbly at times, too, particularly the accents of lesser characters. A bit less reliance on poor action and more on the strengths of the story and decisions and they'll have a true winner.
23/01 - Three Fourths Home (PS4) - A 'visual short story' that works well on the visual front but falls a little short on the writing. It's fairly convincing and develops its characters patiently but the actual story and mood wasn't sharp enough to hold my interest for the hour-long runtime. There are some neat little tricks with the visuals cued up to points in the dialogue, though, and the sound design is top notch.
20/01 - To The Moon (PC) - My third attempt at this because I really wanted to enjoy it, but it still misses the mark for me. I find it a mawkish retelling of Eternal Sunshine but with too much false sentiment, dumb self-referential humour and syrupy presentation. Little of it really rings true for me. I like the catty relationship between the two scientists, though.
19/01 - Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist - A cute and gently smart idea, performed succinctly. Really nice aesthetic and voice work, too. Simon Amstell should do more games.
19/01 - The Beginner's Guide (PC) - I like the concept of this more than the execution, but there's something to be said for the way it uses the unreliable, flawed narrator. Some interesting and clever uses of Source, too.
19/01 - The Stanley Parable (and Demo) (PC) - I found the main game pretty amusing, but actually found the demo way more funny and focussed an experience. A genuinely unique package, though, and I'd advise anyone to play them both. Difficult game to write about without spoiling something.
18/01 - Her Story (PC) - Really enjoyed this. I think I found the delivery much more interesting than the actual story, but it was compelling enough to keep me there for a solid three hour session. Without wanting to say too much, it's leverly written so that the truth exists around the margins somewhere, and points the way forward for use of FMV in games. Really glad I played this.
13/01 - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (PS4) - It looks nice, and the music is pleasant enough, but it really pales in comparison with something like Everybody's Gone to The Rapture. Lacking that game's sharper radio-play writing or eye for (period) detail, it comes across a bit wooden and naff. There's a bit more interaction in this than most of the genre, but there's also a reliance on just chancing upon certain moments in the middle of an otherwise uninteresting part of the map. Saw the ending coming from about half an hour into the game, too.
12/01 - Hardware: Rivals (PS4) - First online thing I've gotten into for a while. It's a very basic package of a few vehicles, modes and maps, but that works in its favour. The core vehicle combat is fun, the maps are well designed, it's nicely presented and technically robust. If they can deliver new modes and maps on a regular basis then I'll keep playing. Reminds me of Mari Kart 64's battle mode.
12/01 - SteamWorld Dig (Vita) - I dunno if it's possible to finish this. Is there an ending? I dunno, but I played it for about six hours and that was enough for me. It's a prettier, slightly more involved version of Miner Dig Deep from XBLIG, which probably ripped off another game. You dig, get loot, sell loot, dig deeper, get loot, sell loot...you get the idea. It's fine.
12/01 - Killzone: Shadow Fall (PS4) - All over the place, this is. The sheer amount of undercooked ideas makes me think the team wanted to experiment early on in development, but were curtailed by the need to hit the launch window and told to get on with making a linear corridor shooter. Hardly any of the little gimmicks are particularly interesting, but are made even worse because they never feed into the overall mechanics of the game. Semi-open levels with multiple objectives, gravity wells, hacking, sniper support, space combat, stealth; all just used briefly and then forgotten. Looks decent enough, I guess, but a generally a very forgettable game.
04/01 - Rogue Legacy (Vita) - I enjoyed the basic hacking and jumping action, but the progressions through the game felt more like grinding than learning and improving the way I played. Music is fairly decent but the pixel-art style is a bit inconsistent and unappealing. 
02/01 - King's Quest - A Knight to Remember (PS4) - Walks the fine line between old school put-this-item-on-this-thing puzzling and the 'choose your own adventure' style of the modern equivalents pretty well in the most part. The character animation and voicework in the is really top-notch, kinda old-school hand-drawn style stuff. Pretty tasty lookin', and surprisingly long for an episodic game. 
01/01 - Hatoful Boyfriend (Vita) - Genuinely great. Disarmingly funny throughout and well written enough to pull off the ridiculous conceit, this makes good use of the short run time to make repeat play-throughs attractive. Worth turning off the dumb 'human visualiser' that shows you how all the birds would look as naff anime characters. Embrace the birds.

On 19/01/2016 at 10:57 PM, Untogether said:
01/01 Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)

09/01 Sniper Elite V2 (PC)

16/01 Alien Breed 2: Assault (PC)

19/01 Rainbow Six: Vegas (PC)

14/02 Sleeping Dogs Enhanced Edition (Platinum Acquired) (PS4)

I love Sleeping Dogs.  Completed the game previously on PC but didn't get all the achievements and the opportunity to play through the whole thing again on PS4 came as a nice surprise when this got a discount on PSN.  The game has a sense of place in Hong Kong that certainly helps give a sense of identity and a quite stellar voice cast that adds to the overall experience.  The music is suitably local in places too, with cantopop mixing in with western music.  The combat is Batman, with the emphasis on fists over guns and while the driving gets some warranted criticism, as is often the case, it's not as bad as the internet would have you think.  While the main story is often po-faced and takes itself seriously the devs show they are in on the joke with certain instances including the Zodiac tournament side quest, which is straight out of a cheesy Bruce Lee movie.  I put another 35 hours into Sleeping Dogs clearing up that Platinum, and this after completing the game on PC previously, and I love it more than any GTA or Saints Row.  There, I said it.

18/02 Far Cry 3 (Story) (PC)

This was good.  Took a long time between me starting and finishing the game though (like, on and off for 18 months or more) and even then I've done nowhere near all the side stuff and collectibles.  Hell, I haven't even done all the outposts, and some say they are the best part.  The story is bobbins, the drug trips and hallucinations being a particularly grating part, but the shooting is as solid as Far Cry is, and that's really why we're here.  The world being gorgeous doesn't hurt it either, and Vaas, man.  Much cooler villain than Hoyt.

23/02 Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare In North Point (All trophies) (PS4)

And the first of Sleeping Dog's main DLC packs, this is the silly one.  So, a triad was caught doing, something, and so as punishment they took him, killed him and chopped up his body and added it to cat food, except for one little finger which they keep in the Temple so he can never find rest in the afterlife.  Now he's back.  And, unsurprisingly, angry.  Apparently, being dead allows you to raise vampires, and demons.  The demons are scary, but the vampires bunny hop around with their arms held straight out in front.  Must be a Chinese thing.  Again, silly, but it's Sleeping Dogs, so I'll forgive it and play it to the end.

Feb

24/02 Firewatch (PS4) Going against forum wisdom I played this over the course of a week. It's short but memorable. And the dialogue, the voice acting is amazing. Felt totally natural. Highly recommended despite some frame rate issues. I'd keep waxing on about this one but I don't want to reveal any spoilers.

16/02 King's Quest:Episode 1 (PS4) It looks lovely and it's not as mean as the original games. But for some reason I just didn't feel the love. Even with the puns. I might wait until I read reviews of the rest of the season before splashing out.

13/02 Mass Effect 3 (360) (+DLC) This is my second run through and I have to respect the risk they took with the tone.It feels in a way like a 50 hour long funeral with things just getting worse and worse. For anyone playing this the Citadel DLC is pretty much mandatory, it's far too bleak otherwise. The upsides, that soundtrack, multiplayer that's actually fun (I didn't install it this time as I didn't want to get sucked back into it) and some fantastic conclusions to various character story arcs. The downside, the endings but I think nothing could live up to the expectations created. I noticed that the visuals in this still hold up, I don't know that a remaster on the next gen systems would look too much different. It is sad that currently there isn't a way to play the rilogy in whole on the PS4/XBone. It's sad to think that these works might be hard to play within a few years.

Jan

26/01 Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors (DS) 
17/01 Mass Effect 2 (360) (+DLC)
10/01 Borderlands (PC) (+DLC)
02/01 Toren (PC)

Jan

Amplitude

As the reboot of one of the finest series in the history of everything, this is obviously fantastic. Although I can understand the complaints about the soundtrack being too limited, there are some total crackers in there and I do think there's an argument that the tracks have been made to fit the game rather than the other way round.  I still think Harmonix nailed rhythm action perfectly first time so this isn't up to the standard of Frequency but I'm sure I'll be firing it up for a quick half hour here or there as long as the PS4 lives under my T.V.

Until Dawn 

Didn't think much of this at all.  Although the idea of a choose your own adventure where potentially everyone or no one can survive is commendable the story and mechanics are so bum I struggled to maintain an interest.  Large portions of the game consist of those awful 'walking cutscenes'; I'd rather have no input than the minimal input of pushing up quite frankly. In the interests of full disclosure I should perhaps say I'm not a fan of the movie genre it's attempting to ape, but there really are far, far better examples of storytelling elsewhere; particularly on the Vita.  I preferred Heavy Rain which probably tells you all you need to know.

Feb

The Witness 

God, where to start with this.  The Witness is the most intelligent, brilliantly designed and yet utterly infuriating game I've ever played. The dedication to a single mechanic and the various riffs it pulls from it are incredibly impressive and the first time I got a '+' puzzle is a moment I'm unlikely to forget in a hurry.  But fuck me, this shit is long.  And slow. And fussy.  If it was made from purely logic based puzzles rather than the ever-so-clever environmental ones I would have preferred it so much more.  As it is, it's a game I'm impressed by rather than one I actually like.

This War of Mine: The Little Ones 

Not exactly enjoyable (I had to turn it off one evening because it was too upsetting) I'm still really pleased I've played this.  The narratives it creates both implicitly and in the players head are utterly heartbreaking;  I had a father and daughter pairing surviving day to day by selling moonshine at one point and the strain it was putting on their relationship, as her drawings became more and more upsetting overnight, nearly brought me to tears.  A really quite exceptional little thing that is let down only slightly by small text and a fiddly interface. 

1. 13/01/2016 - Virtue's Last Reward (Vita)
  2. 05/02/2016 - Mass Effect 3 (Wii U)
  3. 27/02/2016 - GTA V (PS4)

This is the first game I've completed on my shiny new PS4. I finished it a couple of years ago on the 360, but the second time through was just as, if not more, entertaining. It really is a technical phenomenon. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but playing completely in first-person, soaking in the detail and atmosphere, is a true 'next-gen' experience in my opinion. Putting the PS4 in rest mode and then just having the entire game world there waiting for you when you come back, completely loaded and ready to go, is fantastic.

I've finished the main story but am only 75% completed according to the stats page. I've got a few of the Strangers and Freaks missions to mop up, and I might have a go at getting all the stunt jumps, but what else would people recommend? I thought about trying to collect all the alien parts and paper scraps, but they're so well hidden, it seems near-impossible without a guide. I'm also reluctant to go online, as imagine I'll end up never playing anything else again.

Axiom Verge

This was OK... not as slick as the games it derives from.  The areas didn't really have a distinct feel to them and the weapons really added anything to it beyond collection value but I enjoyed it, mostly.  Thought the 'hacking' was clever although never really explored beyond barriers for the player to overcome.  That's fine although the lack of distinct areas had me stuck a few times so there was plenty of exploring to figure out where I had to go next.  Something like Metroid makes that fairly obvious with a huge weapon upgrade that triggers your memory with a not-so-subtle-nudge in the right direction.  This was aimless wandering at times.  As I got stuck, I finished with a 92% map completion wondering around a bit.

Still, one more off the Steam pile of shame.  I should get back to playing Elite...

On 2/15/2016 at 5:05 PM, PyramidFace said:

February

Half-Life (PC) - First game completed this year. Having finished HL2 on various formats multiple times, but never having played more than an hour or so of the original, I thought it was about time I gave it a go. Great, timeless stuff - although Xen was starting to test my patience a bit towards the end. Will probably check out Opposing Force the next time it's in a Steam sale.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - Going into OOT the only previous Zelda games I had completed were the GameCube duo. It has the odd obtuse moment but safe to say OOT is now firmly my favourite. More epic than Wind Waker and more charming that Twilight Princess, it's a stone cold classic. Now on the hunt for an N64 copy of Majora's Mask.

On 21/02/2016 at 10:53 PM, RubberJohnny said:

The Talos Principle 
Strider

Binary Domain

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger 

Grow Home

Lost Planet - I remember playing the demo of this on 360 a lot, it was an early looker with some interesting ideas - but then never picking it up. It's a bit more of an arcadey experience than I expected - levels are plotless and each one ends in a big boss fight and a jarring "Mission Accomplished" screen. Cutscenes between missions seem barely related and the plot is actual bobbins without even the signature Capcom cheese. Still, switching between different scales of combat is fun enough. Acceptable.

Anno 2205 - My SSD gave in while playing this, and so I put off completing it out of superstitious fear. It's a lovely little series, each takes care to mix up the setting and mechanics, and they only come every four years or so, so they're not overdone, and the graphics are always gorgeous and intricate. I think they have a great thing in the new campaign structure - segmenting off the combat to it's own areas and giving it it's own meta-progression actually made me willing to take part - normally in these games I go full pacifist and avoid combat as much as possible. But yet, it does feel like I've slid off this one a bit compared to 2070, it's maybe a bit limited by having everything contribute to your main progression - it'd be interesting to have the equivalent of side-challenges added to the map, single locations that are disposed when complete in the same manner as the combat areas, maybe a "frontier" area for some form of multiplayer, basically integrating the meta-aspects of 2070 into the World Map. Rather than wait four years for them to scrap everything again, I'd be very interested to see what they do with an evolution of this through an expansion. 2205: Mars anyone?

Feb

Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt (PC) (+Hearts of Stone)

Throughout my play-through I found myself constantly questioning how it was possible that this game even existed. It is unbelievably beautiful, it is full of content, has great voice acting, great and complex combat, an incredible variety of weapons and amour, dozens of unique enemies with unique attack patterns and back stories, what feels like a million unique and multidimensional characters (dozens and dozens of characters!), a very interesting and satisfying conclusion, great boss battles, very interesting and varied mission and quest design, free downloadable content, a story that varies significantly depending on your choices, and what feels like an endless onslaught of locations. It is also extremely well optimised and ran silky smooth for my whole play-through. I am so happy I came back to it after abandoning it on the PS4 last year. This game flies in the face of everything that has happened to gaming in the past 5 years.

March

Mass Effect (PC)

Decided to start at the beginning with the franchise now at 1080p 60FPS on my PC. The maximum supported resolution of the original is not 1080p but still the game looked gorgeous, even coming from Witcher which is one of the best looking games of all time. I was pleasantly surprised in every possible way with my return to Mass Effect. The story remains as awesome as I remember, the graphics hold up incredibly well as does the gameplay, which I found a joy throughout. There is a lot of variety in terms of builds and tactics to approach combat scenarios. It is not really a shooter I found. It plays more like a tactical turn based role playing game (with some shooting). The grain effect gave it in my view a timeless feel. Femshep continues to kick all the ass. Also, lesbian alien sex. On the Mass Effect 2!

02/01/2016 - Gears of War ( PC )

02/01/2016 - Dr. Langeskov [...]( PC )

17/02/2016 - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition ( PC )

20/02/2016 - Warning Forever ( PC )

21/02/2016 - The Division (Beta) ( PC )

23/02/2016 - Helldivers ( Vita )

03/03/2016 - Never Alone ( PC )

Bought for a song on the Humble Indie Bundle 16, this is a surprise and a delight.  Yes it gets a bit janky with the platforming mechanics in the late-game, but it's so charming and so gently informative that you don't really care. 

Feb

• Demon's Souls (2009) - PS3 - 14th Feb

March

• Zenonia (2008) - PS3 - 6th March

This is one of those games that I've been playing on and off for quite literally 4 years, around the time I first picked up my PS3 and bought a bundle of PS minis, one of which was this JRPG type game that has a style to Zelda and often described as like it in reviews I've read about it but it's far from that. The game wa developed for ios and android touch systems and ported to the PSP, but finally got moved to the PS3 as well and as a result it looks rather dull on a big screen due to the resolution not being made for TV at all. The game is a grind fest and collectathon of upgrades of all kinds and has quite a deep skill tree and levelling system. It even has a light or dark path during play of which one you choose part way through and 3 character types you can choose from when starting out. Music is super short loop based music with very few overall tracks and the dialogue is repeated over and over for many NPC's in the whole world from town to town outside of key story based speech. The lag and framerate it shocking that it can often sit on a par with the Saturn version of Doom imo. Accessing the shorthand map to appear in the top corner of the screen literally freezes your character for up to 10 seconds, all while the enemies can attack you.

To cut a long story short though, it was ok for the 50p I paid for it, but I wouldn't particularly recommend it to anyone.

DMC: Devil May Cry Definitive Edition (Xbone)

Completed Dante's Main story and Vergil's Downfall story on Nephilim difficulty, didn't hunt any achievements postgame as it would've felt like too much of a chore.

I'm a sucker for these types of games but still thought this was well above average when you get used to the general vibe and style (had to turn the rock music to 0 though).

Recommended 7.7/10

Now to creep on with Alien Isolation...

I'm not quite sure if I've completed this or not but:

Velocity Ultra (Vita)

I say I'm not sure because I did the last level (I've been trying to perfect them one at a time, though I had to give up on that for the last 5 critical urgency missions I just don't have the dexterity to hold boost and do all the rest, but I've still at least got all rescues and beat the points totals in them) and it just seemed to end with little fanfare, and the last "letter" in mission control was about the only thing offering some sort of closure on the sparse storyline. Weird. Annoyingly I've still got some of the bonus missions locked and I've no idea what or where I missed, I may or may not go back to those but I'll have to look them up if I do. Overall it was half brilliant fun but after that it just got a little repetitive and boring, with a lot of fairly tedious rote learning required to perfect levels as it went on.

Edit: I don't know what happened but I did the final level again last night and this time it ended the story and showed the credits. Maybe I just ran out of time the previous go and didn't notice? Could swear I made it to the end though, although even this second try went right to the wire. 

Jesus, I completed Undertale again.  My daughter is hooked and I was watching her do a true genocide run; there's a totally different feel to the game, I had to give it a go.  So, I sat through it all again, named my character 'Murder' (which also revealed an Easter egg!) this time.  Amazing dialogue and some inspired changes to the game, including some previously unseen fourth-wall breaking boss fights.  I think I just added it to my all time favourite games :wub:

I am determination.

(As an aside, we're both going as Undertale characters when EGX Rezzed rolls around ^_^).

Dishonored for PS3. Was okay, good graphics and sound and controll mechanics. But I don't get all of the enthusiasm. Missions are repetitive, bugs destroyed the Lady Boyle mission for me and the ending was lame (had the good ending as I hardly killed).

March

20/03 Frog Fractions (Browser) Playable here. http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/ This is the sort of game that make me wish Amiga Power were still around, it's definately the sort of thing they would have loved to throw on a coverdisc.

18/03 Bravely Default (3DS) If the circle pad hadn't died on my last 3DS I'd of finished this months ago. This was the game that was meant to be a real return to form for Square. It does look and sound lovely. And the refinements to the battle system are so good I might find it hard to ever go back to any other RPG that uses the "turn based line dancing" battle mechanic. And there are a few really clever touches. But I ended up loathing this game, the story dragged on (after a really clever twist) and I hated all the player characters and their voices. So I was out for Bravely Second. That was until that bit after the credits. Well played Square. Well played.

17/03 Grim Fandango:Remastered (PS4) Not as good as I remembered it which isn't surprising given it's 20 years old. The first two chapters and the end game are still great  but I'd forgotten the weird camera angles (which made for difficult navigation) and the puzzles which relied on componants that blended in to the grainy pre-rendered backdrops. It still made me laugh in places and the voice acting is still fantastic. I might play through this again soon to listen to the directors commentary.

Feb

24/02 Firewatch (PS4)

16/02 King's Quest:Episode 1 (PS4)

13/02 Mass Effect 3 (360) (+DLC)

Jan
26/01 Nine Hours Nine Persons Nine Doors (DS) 
17/01 Mass Effect 2 (360) (+DLC)
10/01 Borderlands (PC) (+DLC)
02/01 Toren (PC)

On 2/28/2016 at 0:28 PM, Jamie John said:

This is the first game I've completed on my shiny new PS4. I finished it a couple of years ago on the 360, but the second time through was just as, if not more, entertaining. It really is a technical phenomenon. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but playing completely in first-person, soaking in the detail and atmosphere, is a true 'next-gen' experience in my opinion. Putting the PS4 in rest mode and then just having the entire game world there waiting for you when you come back, completely loaded and ready to go, is fantastic.

I've finished the main story but am only 75% completed according to the stats page. I've got a few of the Strangers and Freaks missions to mop up, and I might have a go at getting all the stunt jumps, but what else would people recommend? I thought about trying to collect all the alien parts and paper scraps, but they're so well hidden, it seems near-impossible without a guide. I'm also reluctant to go online, as imagine I'll end up never playing anything else again.

It's worth joining us online, there's quite a few (we don't go on every night but we generally have a good session a couple of times a week) Just beware of Yinny! :P

Nah it's worth playing online as it is a completely different experience. I never completed the storyline sadly, and thats mostly because I started going online ^_^

January - Spelunky and hyrule warriors (as in, saw credits of both. Will probably never finish either of them)

20th March - The Witcher 3 : The Wild Hunt

That was a very big game and took a very long time. I sort of want to do it again using my other w2 save file and seeing how other choices would pan out, especially telling Yen that I don't love her and she's crap, but, I feel a bit burnt out. Maybe I can do something that isn't playing this game for a little while.

The Talos Principle 
Strider

Binary Domain

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger 

Grow Home

Lost Planet 

Anno 2205

XCOM 2 - Much improved over the original, which I already thought was great. It's a much more confident game - classes are more differentiated into proper subclasses and the game finds ways to layer on complexity to your loadout choices without becoming bloated. The modular levels work fantastically and the future setting and "tilesets" avoid the issues of running into a rural Midwestern farm in the Middle East. There are more enemy types than the original game and expansion, they're much more varied and often pack in an alternate form or transformation for even more variety. The strategic layer is much more interesting, and the way it is introduced is smart.

The only vaguely duff element is the plot, or specifically, the ending, which makes the actual resistance uprising aspect a sideshow for continuing the ending of XCOM 1 and making the player character amazing and central to everything, although that wasn't really a great aspect of the first game, so it's pretty much the status quo in that regard. 

4. 27/03/2016 - The Last of Us - Remastered (PS4)

What a fucking great game. I've never owned a PS3 so the original completely passed me by, and I was quite apprehensive about playing this after all the hype, but after being entirely consumed by it for the past three days I'm very pleased to find that it completely lives up to its reputation. The story and character development are the best I've ever experienced in a game, so much so that in most of the cut-scenes I entirely forgot I was playing a game. It's like watching a 4-episode HBO special. It's easy to spot what's influenced the game - The Road, 28 Days Later, Half-Life 2, to name a few - but it never feels derivative, and not since the first series of The Waking Dead game have I found any two videogame characters more affecting.

With these types of cinematic games I normally find that the gameplay can feel bolted on, as you progress through a series of arbitrary tasks before the next cut-scene, but the gameplay here is also fantastic: creative, supremely-polished and thrillingly tense. After one particularly ball-clenching stealth encounter with a building full of clickers I could feel my heart beating against my rib-cage. The atmosphere is excellent, and the developers are able to create a near-palpable sense of foreboding and dread without resorting to jump scares all the time.

I'm going to play Left Behind and then jump straight back in on Survivor mode.