rllmuk
Benny

Top Board Games Recommendations and Buyer's Guide

cheers for this - just ordered codenames. where did you get some of the others? seem really expensive on amazon and out of stock on gamelore

I should probably clarify that I don't own all of these, but rather have played a good few at a local games club. Any in particular you are looking for?

War of the ring, cosmic and skull look great - i've found a few on amazon but they seem pretty expensive. For example, amazon had codenames for double what gamelore had it - unfortunately they are out of stock on the rest so wasn't sure if there was anywhere else to look

Tried this same thread a year ago and got 2 replies, let's do better this time mukkers!

Updated my old post:

1) Game of thrones (2nd edition) - A wonderful theme, with diplomacy and intrigue in abundance. Love the combat resolution and the possibilities for grand strategy/backstabbing.

2) Dead of Winter - zombie survival with possible hidden traitor twist. So much suspicion, so many good stories from this.

3) Cosmic Encounter - social, funny, sci fi, simple, ticks all the boxes!

4) The Resistance: Avalon / Spyfall - great party games. Work with everyone I've introduced it to. Supposedly 'filler' but we end up playing over and over again for hours.

5) 7 wonders - Completely hooked me and my family, beautiful design.

6) Galaxy trucker - fun to create ships and laugh at each other's.

7) Codenames / Mysterium - yes I'm cheating but the mechanic I enjoy is the same in both. Being a leader with severely limited communication trying to guide the group is agonising, its a great feeling!

8) Caverna / Castles of Burgundy - Cheating again, but they're my perfect couples games. Both so satisfying creating and growing your family/estate. Both full of options, but not overwhelming or too complex.

9) Fiasco RPG - only played once but it was the most I've laughed in my entire gaming life. Its basically the tools to create and roleplay your own movie, so simple. Watch a video on it I implore you. Only reason it's in 9th is that I would only play with very particular friends.

10) Survive: Escape from Atlantis - Death, destruction, take-that! Great light game. (Beautiful components too).

Honourable mentions: Puerto Rico, Witness, Pandemic, Pitch Car

• Upvote 5

Here we go:

Love Letter: Brilliant filler game. Some people use the term 'filler' as an insult, I think its a compliment. A game with so few cards shouldn't make you feel happy to play it as often as possible. I've started to keep a copy of the vanilla game in my work bag and i've managed a few games at work. Had a few lunch breaks where staff have stayed behind to play :D My kids adore the adventure time re-theme. I think I need to grab the Batman and LotR version too.

Notre Dame: One of my first true 'euro' games and again from the Works pile of shame. Finally understood what all the fuss was with little cubes.

Tash-Kalar - Abstract puzzle, all about tile placement. One downside is that if you're not a visual gamer it can caused a bit of a headache. Wife absolutely hated this game.

Arctic Scavengers: A deck builder with player interaction. Definately one of the best game from my Works pile of shame. I've not looked into the rerelease but I should as there is now a single player component.

Agricola: A game about farming. Euro style games always raise a smile because of the themes they apply to a game. Finally managed to get myself a copy. I wouldn't know if Caverna is better simply because i've not played Caverna!

Splendor: My go to 'gateway' game. Simple to explain, but difficult to master. Theres a couple of different strategies floating about and i've won using all three, and lost attempting all three :) Also changes quite a bit with the amount of players at the table.

Arkham Horror: One of my first 'proper' games. Primed myself by watching a few runthroughs on youtube. Discovered a guy called Ricky Royal on Youtube which has further punished my wallet. Would read lots of daunting threads about how complicated the game was, even printed of some flow charts about turn order. When it finally got to the table, I thought it was pretty easy going on the rules (i'd come from Warhammer/Warmachine). The game is dripping with theme, and can be rock hard, and depending on the great old one, can run quite long too. Doesn't get to the table as often as i'd like though.

Friday: One of my first proper 1 player games. It reveals its depth and tactics after a couple of plays and from then on you just want to keep trying. I've never really come close to beating the pirates at the end. I like to think about beating them though.

Twilight Struggle: Only played a few times (and its currently sitting in Trebles house) but oh so good. Deservedly near the top on BGG. I've come to appreciate that the best games are the ones that are simple to play and understand, but have untold depths that make them difficult to master. Theres a handy guide on BGG on how to play that is nearly 250 pages long. The fact that it is grounded in history means it gets two thumbs up from me.

Mage Knight: Same feeling as AH. Once i'd gone through it a couple of times it clicked and now just makes sense. The way movement becomes harder at night, and spells are more effective because of black mana just appeals to the role player in me. Its one game I'd play every day but I don't know if i'd play it with others. One I like to take my time thinking about.

Lord of the Rings: LCG. I love this game. So, so difficult to beat. Each scenario brings something new to the table and each cycle takes you on an adventure through Tolkien lore. FFG have done really well to integrate his works and to tastefully add new characters. I'm not brilliant at deck building, so i'll more than likely find a deck but when I get my head round the aim of the deck, I like to tweak here and there. Similar to MK, I prefer to play this on my own too as I can take my time on the turn. Often play two hands as well so can get quite confusing. There is nothing better than completing a quest succesfully. I still feel like i've only dipped into the game. Look forward to playing it for years to come. Yeah, that was 11 :(

Honourable mentions:

Memoir '44. Great theme, lovely components, scenarios are a brilliant way to recreate iconic battles and simple to play. Once you've played it a couple of times and you want to play a hex-based wargame, you'll probably want something more meatier.

Baseball Highlights 2045: Soloable game which can be played two player. Simple and quick to play, as a bonus you don't need to know baseball to know whats going on (it has robots too). Think it might climb up higher once I pick up some of the expansions.

Cruel Necessity. Historical single player. Has taught me quite a bit about the era and even got me to read some books about the civil wars. Only real issue is that if the dice decide not to play nice, it can really turn the game on its head and destroy what plans you had figured out.

Dawn of the Zeds: Only because it hasn't turned up yet! Plays like a Victory Point states of siege game so you know what to expect, but with enough variety to be challenging each time you play.

Nemo's War: Ditto the above.

Skyline 3000: Building placement game with some hand management. Not terribly exciting and not one I would always choose to play, but my oldest loves it (and does really well at it) so it has some affection from me.

Summoner Wars: Chess with MTG style cards. It would probably be in my top 10 if I played it more often. Got the Masters set at the Expo a few years ago and I think i've only played about three of the races in the box. Yet I still keep an eye out for offers on all the other releases.

Dungeons and Dragons (WoA/LoD)

Flash Point Fire Rescue

Onirim

• Upvote 3

Not sure I can actually manage 10.... but....

1) Coup.

Simple rules. Incredibly compelling with 4 people or more. Absolutely love it. My kids absolutely love it.

2) X-Wing

The best tabletop game by a country mile. Elegant ruleset, diverse meta, infinitely challenging gameplay.

3) Gears of War

Surprisingly good adaption of the home console game. Either by luck, or judgement, it seems to always be finely poised and terrifically designed.

4) Dead of Winter

As someone else said - nothing else generates stories like it.

5) Magic The Gathering

I'm still shit at it - but something makes me turn up week after week at the local club to get smashed asunder.

6) Machi Koro (with all the expansions)

With house rules in place and all the expansions you can grab this remains a family favourite, casual, low-threat, relaxing game for allcomers.

7) Memoir 44

Elegant and wonderful mix of accessibility and proper wargaming strategising. Very impressive.

8) Pokemon TCG

My middle child adores it. I've come to love it too. Doesn't have the complexity of magic, but is very relaxing and civil to play.

9) Dungeon Saga

I was cold on this for a while, but with some house ruling, the Adventurer's Companion and some concerted playing it's become a solid favourite. I'd still like to try Imp Assault and Descent though, as I feel it's probably only good because it's my first game of this type, rather than being comparatively good. Enjoyed painting it too!

10) Boss Monster or Kemble's Cascade

The theme and the gameplay of both appeal because of the videogame connection. Both are unique. If I had to pick one it would be BM. Kemble's takes ages to set up and isn't quite as much fun.

I'd also have to put Risk, Chess, Talisman and Scrabble in there. So, let's call it a top 15.

• Upvote 4

My 10 - in no particular order (let me know if I should order it! But rather not) Images in spoilers

forbidden desert
My go-to co-op game. Great introductory game, nice theme and pieces and easy to play

pic1559127_md.jpg

Jamaica
fun light racing game with pirate elements + great art

5005693_orig.jpg

The Resistance: Avalon
My favorite social deduction, no-one dies, everyone plays to the end, Merlin is a great addition.

Resistance-Avalon-Feature.jpg

dixit
classic, great for creatives/who would like to be creative, not good for thoes that like to understand games/how to win/winning formula - need to play with the right group.

61apq-6v-mL.jpg

mysterium
co-op deduction fun (using a mix of Polish/Ukrainin rules)

SaltCon-Mysterium-cards-out.jpg

tales of the Arabian night
A ride of strange stories and choices!

210299_orig.jpg

colt express
Programming in your moves, just a lot of fun!

coltexpress-620x250.png

Chess - class great, only 2 players have hurt its time on the table

Love Letter
simple, fun, maybe overplayed by me

LL-Low-Numbers-300x225.jpg

Carcassonne
Only have the base version and maybe played it too much!

carcassonne-winter-edition-03.jpg

Just missed:
Ticket to Ride - plays others copies but just got my own, not played enough
Gloom - need to play more, always aim for 3-4 players so is not played as much
Dungeons & Dragons: dungeon co-op system - like it but prefer something heavier, have Decent 2.0 waiting to be played
Among the Stars - need to play more but like it!

Not played/games I have which have a shout for the list once played/played enough:
Above and Below
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Tragedy Looper
Cosmic Encounter

• Upvote 4

No pics in mine, I'm afraid. In no particular order:

Puerto Rico
The first 'heavy euro' game I bought, when first getting back into boardgaming. Took a little while to get it to the table as I wanted to make sure I knew the rules inside out and could teach it properly to the family. It could have ended up falling flat, but was pretty much an instant hit and we played it loads. It's pretty much the one that started it all for me, and will always be near the top of the list.
Ticket To Ride
Prior to buying Puerto Rico, the only other 'proper' board game we owned was Ticket To Ride (the 'gateway' game, back in the day). This was another early hit with the family, and we played it to death. I recently got the UK expansion, which adds a decent 'tech-tree' element to it.
Codenames
Such a simple idea, and such a hit with everyone I've played it with. You describe it to people and it sounds pretty dull, but something just 'clicks' when you play it, and it pulls people in even if they're not usually the type to play games. Perhaps the new 'gateway' game, if there is still such a thing?
Coup
This probably gets played more than anything else at the moment. Great, quick-playing filler. One of the best bluffing games.
Agricola/Caverna
Agricola is my wife's favourite game, but I convinced her that Caverna was even better, so we sold it to buy Caverna a while back. Turns out Caverna is sufficiently different (and she doesn't like it as much), so we re-bought Agricola when it came up in one of the Amazon flash sales before Christmas. I'm counting them as one for the purposes of this list, as I like them both equally.
Caylus
I absolutely love Caylus, but unfortunately I'm the only person I know who does, so it doesn't get played very often. I love the way the mechanisms all work perfectly together; the way you have to plan your turns so that you get the resources you need by the time you need them, the way the Provost and Bailiff control the pace of the game, the ownership of the buildings and the way you can get resources when other people use them. So many great ideas in one game, all meshing together. Quite possibly my favourite game.
Telestrations
Probably at the other end of the scale from Caylus, this is one of the funniest games you'll ever play. Sort of a cross between Pictionary and Chinese Whispers. There's no actual game there (well, there is a scoring mechanism but we never bother with it), but it is absolutely hilarious. I know four other people who have gone out and bought this after playing ours.
Twilight Struggle
This is a bit of a special case, being on the list because it's a game my son and I set time aside to play when we can. I've never played it against anyone else and neither has he, so it's a special thing for us (although I've had a couple of games online against Alexlotl). I bought it mainly because he was doing the Cold War as part of his History GCSE and used the excuse that it was 'educational', but we continue to play it now that he's finished. He got an A, so it must have worked :)
Power Grid
Another early purchase, and one that still gets played quite a bit. Some of the rules can be a bit fiddly, but it's a great, thinky game. I love the way the resource market elegantly models supply-and-demand.
Love Letter
In terms of sheer number of games played overall, this is way out in front. You can play it ten times in an hour, and still be enjoying it. Simple and elegant.
  • Upvote 4

Here are mine, in no particular order.

1 Tigris and Euphrates - Posted about this a couple of weeks ago. Relatively quick to set up and easy to get to grips with, but lots of tactical nuance and nail biting climaxes. Really impressed with it.

2 Mage Knight An incredible game but one which needs a lot of time to play out, and, equally significant, space to set up in. I think my single game took a week or so to play (on and off of course) and I couldn't sacrifice the dining table for that duration. I had hands set up on side tables and cardboard boxes iirc, but an excellent experience.

3 Descent I was rather disappointed by the D&D games such as the Legend of Drizzt, but this is a corker. The game is so finely balanced between the DM and the team, it often comes down to single throw of the proverbial dice. I have a photo of the plucky archer as the last man standing but with the final roll he defeats the end boss dragon (spoilers!!!!). Brilliant re-playability too (and that's without considering the multiple add-ons).

Note: these are all games which are perfectly feasible to play solo.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 3

Hard to make an ordered list, so perhaps consider my numbering arbitrary

1. Android: Netrunner

I could probably love Magic The Gathering, if its blatant money making ‘rares’ didn’t dominate the game. I have enjoyed ‘drafts’, but then the deck is a compromise – not the crafted thing you’d like to take into battle. The basic A:NR game, with it’s asymmetric bluff game, and relatively balanced deck options allows for a much more satisfying game. I’ve bought into the Meta to some degree, but I’m happy to play with restricted base box decks if you’re not expansion packed to the max. A brilliant game (with lovely art).

2. Twilight Struggle

A horrible game of doing the least-bad-thing each turn, where both players need to be prepared to feel exhausted by the end. It really helps that the cold war setting is something that resonates so evocatively me. This should be accompanied by Protect and Survive films playing silently on the telly, Frankie’s Two Tribes on repeat, and relaxing by sitting down to watch War Games on DVD afterwards.

3. Heroes Of Normandie

A two player tactical wargame with horrifically bady translated rules. But what a glorious thing it is, once you get past them. At its heart, its a miniatures game, with the stats printed on the unit tiles. Some great fun scenarios (and I own more expansions than I’ll ever get to play, surely), with great replayability, make this very near the top for me. It also has nice art with a cartoony take on hollywood’s representation of WW2.

4. Carcassonne

As a two player game over a glass of wine with my girlfriend, this is a lovely evening. It’s also a doddle to introduce new players to, who might be over. Chatting and relaxing over the beautiful expanding map is a lovely antidote to some of the more stress-inducing games I like. Add-ons should be added with care. Some are crap.

5. Mage Knight

A masterpiece of intricate design, with the different parts seemingly slotting together so cleverly. The build a deck, and maximize its potential makes my brain ache at times – but it’s a wonderful kind of ache. Solo only for this, as I dare not play this with others, for fear or explaining the combat rules (and modifiers).

6. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

I’m on the first edition, with all of the (now very expensive) expansions. A very social evening, of ultimately feeling humiliated by Sherlock-the-smug-bastard. We don’t play for score, we play to read out passages to one another, and ‘do’ the voices of the suspects that crop up in the choose-your-own style paragraphs.

7. D-Day Dice

Yahtzee dice, co-op, with a WW2 beach-landing theme. The dice re-rolling, and optimization mechanic – using rolls to buy cards, which then give abilities to mitigate bad rolls – is one I really enjoy. Plays well solo, and co-op could be alpha player dominated, but the combo-ing choises between players is so complex, there are always things for everyone to think about and discuss.

8. Cosmic Encounter

I’m on a very early edition (1978!) of this, with some addons. I’d quite like to update to the 2008 edition, with the timing clarifications – but even in its ancient form the game is chaotic, unbalanced ridiculous backstabbing and ganging up on players.

9. City Of Horror

Don’t play with sensitive people who don’t like being double-crossed. The Zombie theme may be tired, but this game is a nice take. Use those precious ability cards to kill the zombies, or vote between one another to sacrifice a player’s character. What a lovely premise. The game also manages to generate some darkly funny stories … ‘remember that time we sacrificed your grandma outside the church, after promising you we’d save her if you stopped zombie the attack at the bank…. Hahaha’.

10. Letters From Whitechapel

I liked Scotland Yard. I like this. I enjoy the Jack The Ripper theme, but with anything more than 3 players it is easy for one of the police to feel like they are not contributing. As a 2 vs 1 battle of wits it is a great game of cat and mouse, that doesn’t outstay its welcome.

Some others of note:

Escape :The Curse Of The Temple

New to this, but lots of plays recently – with players as young as 8 years old that have all loved it.

Dead Of Winter

We love this, but I’m not 100% convinced it doesn’t massively stack the odds in the favour of a betrayer (if there is one). Perhaps we just need to build more barricades.

Once Upon A Time (with Dark expansion).

This gets plenty of play with us, as long as Mr Competitive isn’t playing.

Resistance Avalon

If our player numbers are larger, this is always popular with us.

Jaipur

So short we pop it out as a filler at any opportunity.

Two Rooms and A Boom

I was amazed how good fun this was, after just a couple of plays. The emergent strategies were interesting. There’s too many roles in the box to make a great deal of sense of it all though, without playing through recommended ‘sets’ – and some of these seem more satisfying than others.

Settlers Of Catan

This is still great, you know! Plays well, even with very experienced players and beginners in the same game.

• Upvote 4

This thread is brilliant. I really want to buy some of these games now. What is the deal with Netrunner? Is that a limited card version of the Richard Garfield collectible card game that came out when I were a lad? Nobody has mentioned the Vampire/Jyhad TCG which is still one of my favourites (because of the way you had to use your health as a resource; the way the multiplayer encouraged treachery and double-crossing; and and the huge range of different deck styles).

Ooh wow, this is hard, because lots of games are suited to different contexts; the stuff I'll enjoy with my wife and kid is different to what I play solo, which is again different to what I play with Steve and Jonny. I can't rank them, and this list obviously ignores all the games I've never played; most of which are in my room as rewards for Kickstarter campaigns!

That said, at heart I'm very much a beer and pretzels gamer. When playing with the guys their tastes tend to push us more towards drafting games or, increasingly, euro-style games (if I've got my pigeon holes right). And I love those games, and have a great time playing them, but if I had 10 games to take to a desert island (and assuming other people may be there), these would be my picks.

Please note; I like games with lots of social interaction and am easily enamoured by The New.

Legendary Deck Building Games

Probably my second most played solo game, but it's great fun with other players as well. There are three variations now - Marvel (which has now gone 2 or 3 expansions too far), Aliens and Predator. I have the first two big boxes and many of the expansions for Marvel, but haven't tried Predator yet.

I love how different Aliens and Marvel feel, though. While the latter's expansions have gone beyond adding characters and started to introduce new game mechanics, I think I prefer the core experience. They're difficult game to beat; effectively being co-op but with points being awarded at the end. Aliens introduced a load of competitive mechanics as well, but I've not had a chance to play them yet.

Machi Koro

I know it's got a bit of a mixed reception, but I think this is a wonderful game. While the Harbor expansion adds an element of randomness that helps it along a way, the base game is a great family game that should dislodge Monopoly in every household. With the added complexity of Harbor, or even Millionaire's Row, it starts to come more alive for seasoned gamers and far more obnoxious for those who are reliant on a single strategy to win it. Plus, I think the artwork is lovely.

Coconuts

Look, ok, it's easy to write this off as a daft party game, but it's devious! You catapult coconuts into cups, then build a pyramid out of captured cups on your mat. But then other players land a red cup and get an extra shot. Then someone plays a card on you that makes you shoot blind. Then someone lands one of their coconuts in one of your cups and steals it. Then it gets really vindictive and suddenly you've been playing for an hour with your kid and the grandparents who are laughing more than you've seen them for ages and it's brilliant.

Dunno on how much longevity it has, but we've had two wonderful evenings playing it as a family.

Camel Cup

Sorry! No more family games after this one! It's quick, it's easy, the camels stack up and get carried by other camels. There's loads of randomness, but also lots and lots of predictability and odds in here. It's brilliant, brilliant fun and good for young and old alike. Sometimes you end up with a tower of camels racing around the track and absolutely no idea who will win or lose the race.

It's basically a gambling game that's based on rounds and then overall winner/loser - but the sooner you bet (when the odds are against you) the more you stand to win/lose.

Quantum

Conquer the stars with your spaceships that look remarkebly like dice. Oh God, this game is absolutely lush and brilliantly strategic. Different layouts offer different opportunities to screw each other over and beneath it's deceptively simple exterior lies a pretty deep game of outmaneuvering your enemies and striking at exactly the right time.

I do think it's a tad expensive for what it is, but I got it at a discount so ho-hum.

Pathfinder ACG

There's a decent chance this is going to get ousted by the new Warhammer ACG and I know lots of people aren't that big a fan because it's big and clunky and there are thematic gaps. But, y'know, I really really like it. There are now 3 core boxes plus expansions specific to each. I think outside of the core campaign expansions, some of the others seem a little spurious, but there you go.

I like how stacked against you it is, how it works really well in single player and with more, how deep it seems. As a card game, even without the expansions, the core set seems indulgent. I'm a big fan, and it's probably one of my most played games thanks to its accessibility for solo players.

Zombicide

We all know about Zombicide, right? Great minis, wonderful components, a simple to teach rule set and a theme that I’m not half as tired of as the SUSD guys. Four big boxes of it so far and the Black Plague box (which was delivered just before Christmas) continued the evolution of it but added a new theme (kinda) to it.

I like the relative simplicity of it, it's ridiculously over-indulgent components, the value you get as a result of backing it on KS. I dunno, it's just a decent, simple game to play. I have an entire shelf of it now, though. That's enough (it's never enough).

Lords Of Waterdeep

Enough player interaction to make it feel like I'm playing a game with other people (looking at you Dominion), and enough options for it to feel different and pretty exciting each time I play, this is probably one of my favourite Euro style games I've played, yet I think it's American? OOOH PIGEON HOLES.

I'm pretty amazingly terrible at it but all the ways the board work just make sense. It's rare that happens as I'm rubbish at learning games but it's just simple and elegant and oh god I have so many black cubes but I need a purple to complete the quest Jonny just took the bumhead.

Terror In Meeple City (Rampage)

I lied when I said it was the last family game. Mainly because this is brilliant. I'm not sure I can even explain this one, but it's just brilliant, brilliant fun. Challenging, vindictive, loud and obnoxious. You can pick up an ice cream chuck and throw it at an opponent so that you knock one of their teeth our and they can't eat as many meeples that fell out of the building they just jumped on. NONE OF THAT IS METAPHORICAL YOU ACTUALLY DO IT ish.

Gears Of War

I think Gears Of War is just wonderful. It's a brilliant incarnation of the videogame, with a ruleset and experience that plays just like the on-screen experience. Push forwards! Be Aggressive! Take the fight to the Locust! Oh no you got blown up!

It's a combination of lots of different mechanics that gel together to make every decision difficult and actually embed choice and consequence in all that you do. It's deceptively simple but with a decent amount of strategic choice, and with a healthy dose of randomisation on every choice it's an excellent modern tactical dungeon crawler.

Honorable Mentions

Warhammer Quest - too obtuse and painful by any modern standards to truly be in a Top 10 list, there's still something wonderfully indulgent about playing this behemoth.

A La Carte - more dexterity fun; I've had more enjoyment with non-gamers playing this game than any other game, at least until Coconuts arrived.

Tales Of Arabian Nights

Cube Quest - it's possible to win in one shot, but also possible for it to disappear into a war of attrition. It does tabletop battles simplified better than Warhammer Discwars.

Wrath Of Ashardalon - the first modern Dungeon Crawler I tried when I got back in the hobby. I can never be bothered to set it up, but when I do I have a great time.

Alhambra - only had a couple of games but I think it's pretty ace.

• Upvote 4

If somebody told me that "How To Play" guy was a secret serial killer I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Great list (another Gears of War and Machi Koro bro!) and Terror in Meeple City looks amazing. Instabuy.

• Upvote 1

The thing that always put me off Rampage / Terror in Meeple City was the ability that has players literally try to blow things over - one mental image of components showered in spittle and germs, and I'm recoiling in horror. I have similar thoughts when I see anyone blowing out candles on a birthday cake though, so suspect this is purely down to irrational OCD tendencies on my part: the game otherwise looks like a great laugh.

Galaxy trucker

Netrunner

Summoner wars

Codenames

Luchador

Coup

Dixit

Divinare

Kingsburg/Lords of Waterdeep

Carcassonne

A pretty varied list I think, some I prefer when it's just me and my fiancé, others are better with more people. But all of those I'm more than happy to whip out whenever we have the time 😊 Oh, and I bloody love Luchador! Such a laugh, we act out all the wrestling moves with our characters and I physically wear the belt I earned. Damn straight!

The thing that always put me off Rampage / Terror in Meeple City was the ability that has players literally try to blow things over - one mental image of components showered in spittle and germs, and I'm recoiling in horror. I have similar thoughts when I see anyone blowing out candles on a birthday cake though, so suspect this is purely down to irrational OCD tendencies on my part: the game otherwise looks like a great laugh.

It's not a power we've ever really used much, because our puff is not enough to have much of an effect due to the need to get your chin on the top of the playing piece. Throwing cars or jumping on buildings yields better results every time.

Bumpity bumpy bump. Having just played the X-Wing Miniatures games I'd say I could confidently put it as number 11. It's great fun but I have to now avoid staring into the money abyss it clearly is.

1. Agricola

3316510983_a64f4631aa.jpg

It's simply brilliant. Deep and complex enough to feel extremely rewarding, with the perfect amount of randomness- enough to make every game different, but never so much that you feel you fluked a win. Even ignoring the new decks they pump out the fact that the idea of best opening moves has recently changed slightly to promote day labourer, which I never thought would happen, shows that people are still thinking new ways to play it. Finally, it has the prefect amount of player interaction- you can only get screwed when you leave yourself completely open to it, but nobody will damage their chances of winning purely to damage yours. It's not a solitaire by any means, but at the end you have 'your' farm to feel proud of. I also think the theme is wonderfully inclusive and I've done a 180 on the family game- if at most 1 person is experienced with it it actually works beautifully well as an introduction.

• Upvote 3

UPDATE

I've made some changes to my top 10 and added several bonus entries, as well as honourable mentions. It's almost like I've been playing/buying a lot of board games lately...

Hopefully this can continue to be a buyers guide of sorts as it can be kept updated whenever more good stuff comes along too.

I don't think I have a top 20 - as it depends on my mood... but over the years, here's the list of the games that I've enjoyed the most.

Arkham Horror.  We play 20s music in the background.  The artwork is wonderful and really captures the dread.  Every game always goes to shit towards the end which just ramps it up.  Don't play this enough, mainly because it takes an age to set up and play.

Magic.  Haven't played this for a while - but was the only thing I played while at university.  

Space Marine.  Again, haven't played this in a long time - but played it every sunday evening pretty much for about 2 years.  Still have it in pristine condition.

Gears of War.  Great miniatures and fast pace fun.  Hard to get now, so I'm glad I've got it.

X-Wing.  Just the best table top game.  The best.  And the models are a collectors dream.

Imperial Assault.  Currently working through a campaign of this.  It's like Role playing, but with a board.

Advanced Heroquest.  An older version of role playing with a board.  Played this loads back in the day.  My box is a bit knackered now though.

LotR LCG.  Love it.  Just getting right into it just now, but it's great.

and finally... 

the absolutely best board game

Spartacus.  Blood and Sand.  Brilliantly captures the political in fighting of the Romans in the telly programme.  Wonderfully rewarding to play and superbly balanced out.  Love this.  Always have a great time with it.

• Upvote 3

UPDATED!

I continue to play so many great and wonderful games it's a struggle to remember them all, but please find a few more added to the top 10(+) for your delectation.

Great to see Scythe make it onto your list - mine showed up at the end of last week, and I'm desperate to get it to the table. Really hope it's as good as it appears to be!

1: X-wing. Because of all the other things said about it, but also as it starts so simple and easy to learn, and then has this incredible depth.

2: Space Hulk. Similar reason to X-wing. simplicity and depth, but also looks amazing.

3: Rallyman. Unique racer, was clearly a labour of love for the designer. Colin McRae Rally, the Boardgame.

4: On The Underground. Like a more thinky version of Ticket to Ride. how can you not love a game where you end up with an alternate London underground map?

5: Thunderbirds Co-Op game. Difficult and random, but a lot of fun and the theme is really strong.

6: Carcasonne: because my wife loves it

7: Formula D. not as good as rallyman, but still a good implementation of the fundamentals of race driving into a boardgame.

8: D&D Adventure series: Legend of Drizzt. Fun Co-Op dungeon crawling, nice and light, which is nice as a lot of crawlers can be a bit slow.

9: Dixit. Favourite party game for our group

10: Ticket to Ride: Europe. yes, at its heart it's just collecting cards, but it's still an awful lot of fun, and easy to teach.