IGNORED

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

rubberducker

I hated it, the prequels were shit but they were trying to do something even though they got it horribly wrong. I can't believe how boring and bland it was, if it was a colour it would be council house magnolia, I hate a star wars movie, this is now on the bottom of the list with attack of the clones. 

Spoiler

Maul popping up makes perfect sense, as soon as the Crimson Dawn were introduced and Paul Bettany said "you know who I have to answer to" I knew Maul would pop up. if you watched Clone Wars, Rebels or read the comics that's exactly where he's supposed to be at this point.

As for him turning up in an Obi Wan movie it won't happen, he's searching for Obi Wan and doesn't find him until Rebels where it all ends for Maul. He could turn up in the Fett movie as he has control of the Mandalorian Death Watch clan around this point under the Shadow Collective crime sydicate so that makes much more sense but there is absolutely no chance him and Old Ben bumping into each other.

I was really happy they physically used Ray Park and Sam Witwer for his voice, Can't imagine anyone else doing Mauls voice now after Clone Wars and Rebels.

43 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Utter click bait bullshit. At no point did ANYONE think this having watched the film.

The point that every lead female character being a white brunette woman is interesting however...speaks to the small universe problem that Star Wars currently has. But anyway, thought it worth a post.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Just out from seeing this . Really enjoyed it . Good fun film . 

"Just out from seeing this. Really enjoyed it. Good fun film"

So, so damning. Like a prey sandwich. "That sandwich didn't make me sick and it tasted ok"

Well I loved it. Thoroughly entertaining, and much better than TLJ for me. Main criticism would be Emelia Clarke, who just didn’t fit the role at all in my opinion.

Other than that, some great set pieces, fun characters, didn’t take itself too seriously. Hoping they make some more.

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Utter click bait bullshit. At no point did ANYONE think this having watched the film.

Yep, canonically Han married a black woman. So that's balls straight away. 

7 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Peoples expectations are so low at this point, this brand still has heaps of good will that these films have to just not completely suck for them to get a pass. We should be demanding better from our space opera spin-off blockbusters!

I look at it the same way I look at the tie-in novels or the comic books. It's a lesser work, something slight that you can write off completely if you like. I paid my £6 to watch it fully expecting to be done with Star Wars by the end, and it won me over without giving me anything particularly negative to say about it. I'd rather my Star Wars was fun and lightweight than stretched to breaking point and full of breakneck ups and downs like Last Jedi. Most of all I want them to diversify - the fun fizzy ones, the dark brooding ones, and everything in-between. Better that than trying to cram every tone into the same film.

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

It was a really fun film and I throroughly enjoyed it . 

Hope that clarifies my position .

It does. It clarifies your position perfectly.

Star Wars 1977 - this fundamentally changed who I will be as a human being forever

The Han Solo movie: "It was a really fun film and I throroughly enjoyed it ."

Went to see it yesterday and although it’s not what you’d call a bad film, it’s just, well, nothing. It felt utterly pointless and I left the cinema thinking ‘so what’.

There were some cool bits and the cast, apart from Emilia Clarke, were decent. It just failed to invoke any kind of emotion from me at all. It didn’t even feel like a Star Wars film. I think the most telling thing was that both my boys were bored to tears and kept asking when it’d be over. That’s really not how a Star Wars film should make you feel.

Another Star Wars fail for me then. I haven’t given up yet though, as I love the universe and hope they can get something good out of it. Here’s hoping Episode IX gets things back on track.

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Star Wars 1977 - this fundamentally changed who I will be as a human being forever

Most people went into this film with low or moderate expectations.

You are the only person I've seen that expected it to compare to Star Wars 1977.

I'm as much a Ron Howard fan as the next guy, but you must have fucking loved The Da Vinci Code.

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I’m not sure it was going to be as seminal as the original Star Wars was it ? I mean you’re talking about probably the most influential film ever made . 

Thats a pretty high bar to set .and it doesn’t mean that it is a failure if it isn’t as all conquering as it’s distant relative . 

Its like expecting the upcoming fallen kingdom to be as groundbreaking as the original Jurassic Park. 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

I’m not sure it was going to be as seminal as the original Star Wars was it ? I mean you’re talking about probably the most influential film ever made . 

Thats a pretty high bar to set .and it doesn’t mean that it is a failure if it isn’t as all conquering as it’s distant relative . 

Its like expecting the upcoming fallen kingdom to be as groundbreaking as the original Jurassic Park. 

Isn’t that a good thing to want though? I want all these new Star Wars films to be as good, if not better, than the originals. I want the new Jurassic Park to be as good, if not better, than the original. Are we supposed to just accept that everything we get these days is to be inferior to past efforts? Take Blade Runner 2049 for example, that’s equal to the original and all the better for it.

I think the problem with these new Star Wars is that they’ve been given this amazing toy box of characters, locations, vehicles and weapons with a brilliant and distinctive aesthetic, yet they just don’t know what to do with them. Surely there must be someone out there who could spin a story as compelling as the originals and set it in this universe. You wouldn’t think so from everything we’ve been given so far. I won’t give up hope yet though, as Blade Runner has shown it’s possible.

It's hugely unrealistic to want that given the massive leap in technology and effects the original had.

The story of the original is basic as anything is just told with great pizzazz and that doesn't really work anymore until something totally different happens. That's also not going to be the case with a star wars movie every 6 months ticking a box. Or being tightly timed to marketing schedules etc, just imagine a big budget film for kids coming out and then the toys only being available 6 months after it came out. There was a perfect storm that means that same level of impact which is nigh on impossible.

34 minutes ago, JPL said:

Isn’t that a good thing to want though? I want all these new Star Wars films to be as good, if not better, than the originals. I want the new Jurassic Park to be as good, if not better, than the original. Are we supposed to just accept that everything we get these days is to be inferior to past efforts? Take Blade Runner 2049 for example, that’s equal to the original and all the better for it.

I think the problem with these new Star Wars is that they’ve been given this amazing toy box of characters, locations, vehicles and weapons with a brilliant and distinctive aesthetic, yet they just don’t know what to do with them. Surely there must be someone out there who could spin a story as compelling as the originals and set it in this universe. You wouldn’t think so from everything we’ve been given so far. I won’t give up hope yet though, as Blade Runner has shown it’s possible.

Of course not , it’s perfectly ok to want the best film ever made every time you go to the cinema . But there is a reason seminal and ground breaking films are  Rarity . By definition If they were commonplace then they wouldn’t be groundbreaking, would they . 

what do you want from a spin off back story that is constrained in some regards by a pre written future ? Solo is fine , it’s exactly what I expected from a one shot spin off . 

6 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Of course not , it’s perfectly ok to want the best film ever made every time you go to the cinema . But there is a reason seminal and ground breaking films are  Rarity . By definition If they were commonplace then they wouldn’t be groundbreaking, would they . 

what do you want from a spin off back story that is constrained in some regards by a pre written future ? Solo is fine , it’s exactly what I expected from a one shot spin off . 

I’m probably coming at it from a slightly different perspective to you because I think the new films, except TFA, are poor. Even though I know it’d be really difficult to match the original trilogy, I feel they’ve landed way too far of the mark and the whole thing has been a bit of a mess. They’ve got the universe all laid out for them, so I’m sure we could have had a lot better films from these new 4 if they’d been planned better/had better writers/different directors/etc.

I’d be happy if after Episode IX they had a bit of a reset. Maybe actually have some semblance of a story in place before setting off on the next trilogy. Maybe see what the directors/writers of the spin off films have in mind before starting, instead of ripping them off the film half way through when things aren’t going the way you want.

As for Solo, I would have liked an exciting glimpse into the younger years of one of Star Wars best loved characters. Instead we got a bland, pointless load of nothing. A few good bits but overall, tedious and forgettable.

What do you mean by "they've got the whole universe laid out for them" because they really don't. At most there's a handful of known characters and planets and there's something called the force which doesn't even have defined powers.

In that a lot of the expanded universe was binned, there's very little that's definite. That's also a problem with some of the fans that soaked up all that extra detail, as much as I agree they should go really far back to the old republic or something very different, there's also problems there in that it will come up against Kotor for those that know it.

It's a mess and I really think they will do better to ignore all of the known characters just because of the backstories that are either made up by fans since Jedi, or expanded on the books etc. Or only half known by the public, or known from the films. That's already (and simplistically) four different versions of solo or boba fett that the potential audience might have.

That's not even mentioning audience that might want something to be entertained by on a movie night over an audience wanting depth to characters or weighty themes etc etc.

48 minutes ago, Delargey said:

We also have a very different audience and way of talking about movies now. If Star Wars was released now, it would get ripped to pieces for the exhaust port finale.

Maybe, but the rest of the film is absolutely masterful storytelling. Star wars mainly works because the plot is kurosawa brilliance. That's the model they should be following. Remake Spartacus or seven samurai or babycart at the river styx or the killer in space.

Again, in the 1970's the average cinema goer didn't know who Kurosawa was, while these days if you rip off an older movies people will just call it out and that knowledge can be spread around with ease.

25 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Again, in the 1970's the average cinema goer didn't know who Kurosawa was, while these days if you rip off an older movies people will just call it out and that knowledge can be spread around with ease.

You wot mate? I knew star wars was just yojimbo in a new dress when I was 6

Well, if you knew about it then EVERYONE must have.

What percentage of 6 year olds who saw Star Wars when it oriinally came out do you think were well versed in the 1950s Japanese cinema? 

I grew up watching Jackie Chan movies and anime and I still hadn't heard of Hidden Fortress or it's influence on Star Wars for years.