IGNORED

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

rubberducker

25 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

...an interesting note, is that it seems the fans of The Last Jedi here are more lukewarm on Solo, and vice versa, with the people who were less fans of TLJ enjoyed this film more. 

I think that’s quite telling if you as me. 

What is it telling?

I don’t fit your analysis either. I didn’t like TLJ and I don’t like this.

2 hours ago, Delargey said:

Again, in the 1970's the average cinema goer didn't know who Kurosawa was, while these days if you rip off an older movies people will just call it out and that knowledge can be spread around with ease.

They could, you know, write something original and equally as good, or are we resigned to the notion that because we now have the internet everything must be mediocre.

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

What is it telling?

I don’t fit your analysis either. I didn’t like TLJ and I don’t like this.

I like both. I think TLJ is one the best Star Wars film since ESB. You’ve complained this isn’t innovative and doesn’t offer interesting character development, whereas TLJ does all of that. 

42 minutes ago, JPL said:

They could, you know, write something original and equally as good, or are we resigned to the notion that because we now have the internet everything must be mediocre.

I think it's second guessing the audience. I don't think they ever intentionality make anything shit (maybe unless you're Michael bay) but they seem to rarely make "good story" it seems to be 'the fans want this, this will appeal to X, that will appeal to y'.

But then it's also that weird thing that I'd say in general, fans of the original trilogy (who are all old now) didn't really want a solo back story. I've not seen it yet but from what has been said in here, making a space cowboy story that wasn't actually solo might have worked. Call it star wars: smugglers or some such.

The brand recognition side of things often goes against these long running franchises rather than the 'automatic audience' idea.

I preferred this to TLJ, but then I think I’d rather have more films like TLJ that take chances and let a director execute his vision than endless uncontroversial instalments with all the sharp edges ground down, which is what this felt like. It’s good but very safe. 

Overall I’m preferring these new prequels set during the time of the Empire rather than the sketchily-drawn Rey period, which just seems to be the old Empire/Rebels setup reheating in a rather unsatisfactory manner. There’s so much enticing mythology and iconography around OT, I just can’t resist it.

Solo feels like a watershed in that it shows it’s possible to recast someone like Han and get away with it. Ehrenreich does an excellent job. Grace Randolph just did a good video about, if they’re going down this route, they may as well recast Leia and Luke for some pre and post-OT tie-ins.

It feels like with this and the mooted Fett, Obi Wan and possibly even ‘Leia and the Rebels’ stories that they may be trying their own version of Marvel’s criss-crossing universe. It’s unadventurous but I’d quite like to see it. 

I keep seeing people say this movie is pointless and unnecessary. Would anyone care to explain this a bit further?

As far as I can tell, it exists in order to give the audience a glimpse into the past of one of the most popular screen characters ever, and it’s obvious that’s what it’s going to do, even without watching a trailer. The very reason for it being is to dish out nods and winks, and give you 2 hours of fan service.

If the idea of that doesn’t float your boat (ie - you think it’s a pointless reason for a film) that’s cool, but surely you wouldn’t go and see it, would you?

I’m not saying it’s without fault, but considering the uphill struggle it was always going to have, even before they’d filmed a single scene, I’d say it’s nothing short of triumphant.

27 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

If the idea of that doesn’t float your boat (ie - you think it’s a pointless reason for a film) that’s cool, but surely you wouldn’t go and see it, would you?

Given the dire box office results that have been announced today it appears that a lot of people did decide not to go and see it.

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

I keep seeing people say this movie is pointless and unnecessary. Would anyone care to explain this a bit further?

As far as I can tell, it exists in order to give the audience a glimpse into the past of one of the most popular screen characters ever, and it’s obvious that’s what it’s going to do, even without watching a trailer. The very reason for it being is to dish out nods and winks, and give you 2 hours of fan service.

I’m not saying it’s without fault, but considering the uphill struggle it was always going to have, even before they’d filmed a single scene, I’d say it’s nothing short of triumphant.

I was well up for a glimpse into the early years of Han, which I expected to be exciting and full of wise-cracking action. I even fell for it being described as a western in space from one of the early twitter reviews, as that sounds perfect for the character and right up my street. What I saw yesterday though, was boring and unexciting.  There really didn’t feel like there was any point to the story. My lack of enthusiasm, due to the plodding story, simply led to me not really caring about it. The complete opposite of what I expected and certainly not a good back story for that character.

Like I said in one of my earlier posts, both my lads were bored senseless and kept asking when it’d finish. I’m not sure who it’s aimed at if neither me or my boys liked it, but a boring Star Wars story isn’t something I was expecting.

The one I don’t get is why they shifted from the traditional December release date. It meant two Star Wars movies in quick succession, competing against Deadpool 2 (and to a lesser extent Avengers) and there’s now an 18 month gap until Episode IX

3 hours ago, JPL said:

I’m sure in your head it’s a piece of piss to come up with genre defining cinema in an afternoon and then popping out for a few beers and a curry , but I suspect in reality there is a very good reason it happens about once a decade .

5 minutes ago, oli said:

The one I don’t get is why they shifted from the traditional December release date. It meant two Star Wars movies in quick succession, competing against Deadpool 2 (and to a lesser extent Avengers) and there’s now an 18 month gap until Episode IX

Wasn’t the only reason the last three were all Dec was because they all slipped? They were all slated for May originally I think. 

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

I was well up for a glimpse into the early years of Han, which I expected to be exciting and full of wise-cracking action. I even fell for it being described as a western in space from one of the early twitter reviews, as that sounds perfect for the character and right up my street. What I saw yesterday though, was boring and unexciting.  There really didn’t feel like there was any point to the story. My lack of enthusiasm, due to the plodding story, simply led to me not really caring about it. The complete opposite of what I expected and certainly not a good back story for that character.

Like I said in one of my earlier posts, both my lads were bored senseless and kept asking when it’d finish. I’m not sure who it’s aimed at if neither me or my boys liked it, but a boring Star Wars story isn’t something I was expecting.

It’s incredibly hard to come up with a “point “ to the story when you know for a fact that the three of the main characters, are under no threat whatsoever . 

It was a story of how a Han with no future built one for himself and became Han Solo the smuggler . I mean I’m really confused as to what you expected as a back

story

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

Wasn’t the only reason the last three were all Dec was because they all slipped? They were all slated for May originally I think. 

True, it seemed to be working well though. 

My absolute favourite bit of this film was when

Spoiler

You see those cute little droids all popping each other’s restraining bolts off and then smashing up their consoles. 

47 minutes ago, JPL said:

Must be quite polarising then, as the few people that I know that have been to see it, all loved it.

Well, as usual I go against the majority of forumites as I fucking loved this. Somebody else mentioned earlier in the thread that this felt the most "star warsy" of the new films.  I couldn't agree more. I think this is my favourite of the new films so far (well this or TLJ - both are miles better than the very good but horribly over rated TFA.  See what I mean about being the opposite of the forum prevailing opinion)

No deal who the fuck this Glover bloke is (reminds me of when Iron Man came out and everyone but me hard a massive hard on for the fact that Terrance Howard was in it) but he nails Lando perfectly.  Emmerich is just as good he total nails it as Han. 

My daughter and I were both stunned at the big reveal, we loved it. My wife loved the film and she thinks Luke and Han are the same person!

I thought Clarke was really good, as was the robot. My only complaints about the film were the fact that  I was expecting another big action sequence after coming back from the loo (I didn't get one) and that the sound mix was bloody awful in places and I struggled at times to hear what was being said.

9/10 for me. Would have been 10/10 if ther had been a final action sequence. My cinema was 80% full at 10.00am this morning 

Yeah Glover is great as is Emmerich . Great to see someone not do the

equivalent of a training montage and go from nervous nobody to space ace. Instead Emmerich is confident from the off . Just like solo should be

2 hours ago, Mystacon said:

I'd love a great film about Han Solo's upbringing. But first you need to get a story worth telling. For me this was a story made out of hastily cobbled together components that a good story 'should' have, because a film needed to be made to make money. Not because someone had come up with a brilliant story about Han Solo that needed telling. Strip away all the star wars wrapping and my God, who in their right mind would give a shit? Sub-par Oliver Twist meets very sub-par Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's art made to schedule - which is fine if all you want is a hamburger. But when it's star wars I want Kobe steak. When it's Han Solo, one the greatest heroes known to man, I want Kobe steak that has been aged to perfect maturity, cooked without seasoning, until it is both charred and rare, and with a beautiful dipping sauce on the side. And I want whiskey.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

I’m sure in your head it’s a piece of piss to come up with genre defining cinema in an afternoon and then popping out for a few beers and a curry , but I suspect in reality there is a very good reason it happens about once a decade .

There is a very good reason - money. Product is needed. Now. And tomorrow. And the day after that. But Disney could be more careful here, if they were smart. Shitting out these films so they are 'okay' is great short term. but long term they are killing Star Wars, of that I have no doubt. The cash cow is looking tired and its only been a few years.

15 minutes ago, barkbat said:

I'd love a great film about Han Solo's upbringing. But first you need to get a story worth telling. For me this was a story made out of hastily cobbled together components that a good story 'should' have, because a film needed to be made to make money. Not because someone had come up with a brilliant story about Han Solo that needed telling. Strip away all the star wars wrapping and my God, who in their right mind would give a shit? Sub-par Oliver Twist meets very sub-par Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It's art made to schedule - which is fine if all you want is a hamburger. But when it's star wars I want Kobe steak. When it's Han Solo, one the greatest heroes known to man, I want Kobe steak that has been aged to perfect maturity, cooked without seasoning, until it is both charred and rare, and with a beautiful dipping sauce on the side. And I want whiskey.

Well I guess we’ll just have to disagree on that then. I do however agree that it’s a hamburger, but then I like hamburgers. If I want Kobe steak and whiskey I’ll watch 2001 or Blade Runner 2049. 

And to your point about stripping away the Star Wars wrapping? Erm, yeah, I imagine most Star Wars films wouldn’t stand up that well if you did that.

20 minutes ago, barkbat said:

There is a very good reason - money. Product is needed. Now. And tomorrow. And the day after that. But Disney could be more careful here, if they were smart. Shitting out these films so they are 'okay' is great short term. but long term they are killing Star Wars, of that I have no doubt. The cash cow is looking tired and its only been a few years.

No . The reason genre defining films only appear sporadically is because  it’s incredibly hard to do . Nothing to do with money . 

As a origins story to Han Solo in a two hour movie this was as good as you could hope for 

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

It’s incredibly hard to come up with a “point “ to the story when you know for a fact that the three of the main characters, are under no threat whatsoever . 

It was a story of how a Han with no future built one for himself and became Han Solo the smuggler . I mean I’m really confused as to what you expected as a back

story

See, the premise of Han’s rise from nobody to the best smuggler in the galaxy is exactly what I wanted, but the story they told here getting from A to B just didn’t interest me. It was boring. It didn’t paint Han as the badass everybody knows and loves. They needed a better story. They needed to put more effort into it.

And no, I don’t think creating a great story is as easy as shitting one out in the morning, then going for a curry and a few beers, but that certainly seems how these last lot of Star Wars films were conceived.

It’s Star Wars for fuck’s sake. They should be handling it with more care than anything else they’ve ever done, not making up trilogy stories as they go or firing directors half way through films because they couldn’t be arsed seeing what their idea was prior to filming. It all just feels so slack and half arsed.

It’s a real shame for me, as the original trilogy is one of my favourite film series and I was massively looking forward to this, but I’ve been left really disappointed. To the point where I’m not really arsed about Star Wars any more.

6 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

And to your point about stripping away the Star Wars wrapping? Erm, yeah, I imagine most Star Wars films wouldn’t stand up that well if you did that.

That's where your wrong. The original trilogy tell an amazing story and are incredibly well put together scripts. Maybe you can point to this reference - or that homage - and maybe in basic story terms there is not a lot new (save the princess) - but it's done with real care and love and attention. That's why millions of people can watch them again and again and again.

It's easier to see with the Matrix trilogy. The first Matrix is a brilliant film with amazing effects. But the sequels have even more amazing effects, and still have the same characters and world. Yet they are dog shit because the scripts were forced and the stories are just tired and box-ticking and bland and forced out for business reasons. The first film is still amazing though, because the story is so well constructed.