SOLO: A Star Wars Story

6 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Solo’s fine. Original Trilogy>Rogue One>Solo>those recent two>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the prequels

If I were getting into minutiae I think I’d go Empire, Rogue One, Star Wars, Jedi, TLJ, Force Awakens, Solo.....

.....and somewhere in a landfill, the prequels, which I can’t rank in terms of awfulness.

I still can't understand the love for rogue one even after another re watch, non characters that do nothing and a good space battle at the end being better than the originals. Just does not compute. Especially Vader from one to the other. Anyway, I realise I'm doing the equivalent of the people that stick their oar in every time Rian Johnson or TLJ is mentioned so I'll be quiet. 

The originals are three films on their own, they just happened to make another 7 fan films (so far) of varying quality. 

9 hours ago, womblingfree said:

If I were getting into minutiae I think I’d go Empire, Rogue One, Star Wars, Jedi, TLJ, Force Awakens, Solo.....

.....and somewhere in a landfill, the prequels, which I can’t rank in terms of awfulness.

I might even dare to swap empire and rogue one....

1 hour ago, Gord said:

I might even dare to swap empire and rogue one....

Its close but Empire is still supreme.

Edit:  Went for a Sunday morning re-watch, just to confirm it

AFB696E6-756E-49EB-85CD-33C624474542.thumb.jpeg.2795fed29af23c34961d5383d598d20f.jpeg

Edited by Ivanho
Decided to spend Sunday watching ESB
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

So just watched the again after my initial disappointing cinema viewing on release.  Still dismal...from the poor casting, terrible plot and the this is how Han...got his name, met chewie, got his gun, dropped his cargo, met lando, saw and got his ship, did the kessel run, shot first...awful.  Even the music was ghastly. 

22 hours ago, Welrain said:

Even the music was ghastly. 

Was it? Solo's music didn't stick out to me as at all bad in the cinema. The "Adventures of Han" theme that John Williams contributed (the only track from the OST I listened to separately at home) wasn't memorable, but not bad.

But then, I'm not very good at judging score quality from a single cinema viewing. Take Rogue One: a consensus seems to have built up that Michael Giacchino's score for Rogue One was poor and "obviously rushed" (he replaced Alexandre Desplat really late in production), but it never struck me as bad when I saw it in 2016.

I remember reading this Twitter thread in praise of Solo's score, a few months after it came out:

I just listened to that Kessell Run track - a YouTube commenter has helpfully listed where all the old and new leitmotifs turn up:

0:03: One of the Imperial motifs only heard in A New Hope. Usually for screen transitions.

0:07 and 0:15: Docking Bay 94 attack.

0:10 and 0:17: Asteroid Field.

0:27 and 0:39: Millennium Falcon escaping from Star Destroyer in Episode V.

0:36: Han's motif in this movie.

0:49: Rebel fanfare.

1:11: L3's motif. 1:29: Rebel fanfare.

1:32: This bit is heard in Episode IV, I think when they're inside the Death Star.

1:42: TIE Fighter attack from Episode IV, also heard in Episodes VI and VIII.

2:37: Asteroid Field.

2:54: Chewie's motif.

3:15: Main Star Wars theme / Luke's theme.

3:20: Rebel fanfare.

3:24: Asteroid Field.

3:55: Han's motif.

4:35: Rebel fanfare.

4:45: Star Wars / Luke's theme.

4:50: Asteroid Field.

If anything it’s the application of the old themes within the new score that just didn’t work for me. It’s just another part of the issue (Hans name, gun, ship etc) that blighted the film.  The application of that iconic theme as the music for the recruitment station was just well....urgh.

2 hours ago, Welrain said:

If anything it’s the application of the old themes within the new score that just didn’t work for me. It’s just another part of the issue (Hans name, gun, ship etc) that blighted the film.  The application of that iconic theme as the music for the recruitment station was just well....urgh.

That's another thing that might have worked in the Lord & Miller original, if they were going for lots of jokes (including audio/ background gags) like in lego batman etc. 

Instead of that, it just jars really badly and almost makes it seem as though the imperial march is pumped out of their space speakers when they go and do bad stuff. 

There’s actually a great bit near the end of Rebels where characters end up in a pub for Imperial soldiers & they’re playing a lounge version of the Imperial March in the background. 

Which is stuff a better use, and less cringeworthy, than any of the reprieves in Solo. 

On 15/02/2021 at 12:56, Sexton Hardcastle said:

There’s actually a great bit near the end of Rebels where characters end up in a pub for Imperial soldiers & they’re playing a lounge version of the Imperial March in the background. 

Which is stuff a better use, and less cringeworthy, than any of the reprieves in Solo. 

The Lego Star Wars games did that years ago with the elevator muzak version. The hard rock version in the Lego Jabba's Palace level is good too.